PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation guidence needed

tanis143
January 4th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Ok, its a new year, and I want to make the switch to linux. I'm not gaming any more, and starting to get more into other things on my pc, so..... here I am. I'll give you my system specs, so you know what I'm working with:

AMD 64 X2 4000+ @ 2.4ghz (300mhz overclock right now)
GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3
XFX GeForce 8600GT
2x 1gig G.Skill matched DDR2 800 in dual channel setup
120gig WD SATA hard drive
LiteOn 20x DVD+/- R SATA
550watt Corsair PSU
V-Stream Xpert 2000+ video capture card

Now, I have a few questions on my install. First is that I have a 120gig drive split with 40 gigs on C: and 80 gigs on D: . Now, I want to wipe the C: partition and set it up as my ubuntu drive keeping the D: partition (sorry, I'm still green to linux so I forgot what linux would call that partition) intact. Reason being is I have a lot of stuff backed up to that partition and do not feel like burning it to dvd and I dont have a usb drive big enough to store all the data there. So, in the setup I would choose a manual partition (guided keeps wanting to use the unused area on the D: drive). Now, I know I need a swap partition, but how big should it be? I've got 2gig of memory, so I'm not sure how to calculate that.

Also, I have a V-Stream Xpert 2000 video capture card and wondered how well will it work in linux? I have a live cd of 8.10 and ran it, but I could not find the equivalent to a device manager to see if it recognized it. If for some reason it wont work, thats not that big of a deal, I've got another computer I can put it and use it on.

I'm really looking forward to this. I've lost my love of my computer as I've mainly been using it just to surf, and email. I need a good challenge and I think this move will provide it.

Partyboi2
January 5th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Now, I know I need a swap partition, but how big should it be? I've got 2gig of memory, so I'm not sure how to calculate that. About x1.5 the amount of onboard ram. So 512mb would be 1gig swap. With 2 gig of ram you would probably be fine with a 2gig swap, I would not go past 3 gig tops though.

Fir3chi3f
January 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM
One of the ways I've done things like that is, using the live CD and before the install, go under System>Administration>Partition Editor

Delete the NTFS partition(Windows) and close partition editor.

Then go threw the installer and select "largest continual space" (or something like that), it should then put ubuntu in place of your windows and it will take care of the swap and whatnot.

Edit: I've got a V-stream brand capture card also (not xpert), I've seen this card on the list that says its supported. But, I did have to fiddle with mine quite a bit to get it to work at all (mine not on list). I don't mind though as it doesn't work at all under vista.

I hope you enjoy ubuntu!

theozzlives
January 5th, 2009, 10:41 AM
During install, select "Manual", delete the 40 GB partition, create a 2 GB swap partition, create a 10 GB / partition, and use the rest of the space as /home. That should work fine. I've never needed more than 10 GB for a / partition. The reason for /home is so all your docs and settings stay intact should you have to re-install.

Elfy
January 5th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Now, I know I need a swap partition, but how big should it be? I've got 2gig of memory, so I'm not sure how to calculate that.

About x1.5 the amount of onboard ram. So 512mb would be 1gig swap. With 2 gig of ram you would probably be fine with a 2gig swap, I would not go past 3 gig tops though.

If you intend to hibernate/suspend then swap should be at least equal to RAM.

Partyboi2
January 6th, 2009, 05:01 AM
If you intend to hibernate/suspend then swap should be at least equal to RAM.
Good point I forgot about hibernating or suspend :)