PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GDM load error

Nucy
January 4th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Hey i am litterally brand new to any type of linux Ubuntu OS so it might very well be something im doing wrong but i loaded up Ubuntu 8.10 after partioning my HD loaded works good when i reboot my computer i get to the dual boot Windows Vista or Ubuntu boot Ubuntu it loads than gives me a command line ive typed startx, sudo startx, gdm, sudo gdm, all that stuff and at some point it gives me a gdm already running error and than a cant find screens error... so i can see any desktop...

now is this maybe because i am using an HDMI cable hooked up to my TV for a monitor and the drivers arent installed for Ubuntu to display anything? or am i jus not typing in the right command to load the GUI?!!?!?!?

Nucy
January 4th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Also, it says there is an error in one of the lines of a config.c or something... ill go checkl what it says then come post it here

Ok it comes up with this error, "gdm [8974]: WARNING:
GDM file gdm-daemon-config.c: Line 2033 (): cannot run seteuid to 0:"

Nucy
January 5th, 2009, 05:25 PM
bump...

I've google'd it and no dice, i dont know how to go around anything cause i am infact completley new to all this other than like playin around in ms-dos which doesnt even share to many commands

Rithmarin
January 5th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Have you tried running ubuntu from the live CD? That will give you a good idea if it will work easily out the box on your computer.

What video card does your computer use?

If its a driver support, getting the latest updates may help sort it out.
run "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" to get them.

Nucy
January 6th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Im running an ATI radeon 3600, and thank you i will try updating the drivers and edit this post if it works or not

Nucy
January 6th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I ran those commands and it went through all the paces to doit got right to the end and said cant write to disk no space on device or something like that... i dunno what its installing because i have 348 gig on the partition with Ubuntu on it, and i doubt that that isnt enough

Rithmarin
January 6th, 2009, 05:26 PM
"df" will tell you what file systems are mounted and how much space, heres part of mine as an example:
rith@ub2:~$ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/ub2-root 51606140 13721004 35263696 29% /
/dev/sda2 482246 41360 415986 10% /boot
rith@ub2:~$

Nucy
January 9th, 2009, 09:20 PM
it told me i have 1% or 0% used in most of the areas, but when i update and upgrade it tries to write to E: drive, which is my disk drive, im not running off the disk i also dont have a disk in there so is there a way to change that?

Nucy
January 12th, 2009, 03:55 AM
as i said absolute beginner, ive been looking for tutorials but not much is helping

Rithmarin
January 12th, 2009, 08:45 AM
E drive makes it sound like you are using the installation method where it installs within a windows partition. Is that right, or is it on its own partition?

Can you post the output to the df command here? From what you've said I'd expect to see a reference to E: in the filesystem column. If thats your cd drive, we will probably need to change its location.