PDA

View Full Version : File tree based media player?

TBOL3
January 3rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
Ok people. Everyone is always talking about AmaroK, and Banshee, and other media players. What I want, is a bit different then most.

I'm looking for a file tree based player. I can't stand most databases, as most of my music is untagged. I guess you could say I'm looking for something like nautilus, except with automatic syncing with my Sansa e260 (which has rockbox on it), built in podcast support, and the ability to actually play music internally would also be nice.

So, is there a player out there that can do this, or am I up a creek w/o a paddle? Thank you very much.

Islington
January 3rd, 2009, 11:29 PM
amarok, exaile,vlc all have file browsers.

Ruyuk
January 3rd, 2009, 11:29 PM
Windows Media Player? :P

wmoore
January 3rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
You can browse and play music via the filesystem with Amarok. I'm pretty sure you could sync it from there too. But really you should tag your music, it makes much more sense. Amarok will guess at tags from the file name so will do most of the hard work for you :)

Jose Catre-Vandis
January 3rd, 2009, 11:32 PM
audacious

and you can set up default actions or nautilus scripts or thunar custom actions to play or enqueue from nautilus/thunar respectively

Dagonn
January 3rd, 2009, 11:59 PM
Decibel audio player (http://decibel.silent-blade.org/) might be what you're asking for. it's in the repos.

chris4585
January 4th, 2009, 01:22 AM
audacious

and you can set up default actions or nautilus scripts or thunar custom actions to play or enqueue from nautilus/thunar respectively

+1, thats what I do when I want to look in my file browser to play one or two songs in a folder, not to mention nautilus has tree views.. so a combo of nautilus and audacious is a good idea imo