PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] [SOLVED] Xubuntu crashes while trying to up-date (8.10)

pancakewagon
January 3rd, 2009, 11:02 PM
I have Xubuntu installed through Wubi and i run the update program and when it gets about half way through the install, it crashes! I cant move my mouse cursor and i just have to reboot. After that i cant update because i get an error (from shutting down though the middle of the install) so I reinstalled Xubuntu and tried to up date again... same thing happens!!:confused: I'm new to Linux and Ubuntu (windows Xp sp3, 450mhz 384mb of ram)

Also this seems to happen right as i get it out screen saver(black screen)

zvacet
January 3rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Can you boot in recovery mode and run

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

pancakewagon
January 3rd, 2009, 11:59 PM
I'm in the middle of reinstalling it right now so when i get it installed I'll see if that works.

pancakewagon
January 4th, 2009, 12:10 AM
oh... how do you boot in recovery mode?

zvacet
January 4th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I never worked with Wubi so maybe my advice is not quite accurate.When you choose whitch OS you want to boot do you see Ubuntu kernels?If you do you should have recovery option there.

pancakewagon
January 4th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I found this I'm going to see if it works :D
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=520737

pancakewagon
January 4th, 2009, 01:29 AM
YAY! I got into recovery boot! I'm at the "Recovery Menu" options are, resume, clean, dpkg, fsck, root, xfix . What do i choose?

pancakewagon
January 4th, 2009, 01:36 AM
nvm i figured it out! :D so im about to hit "y" to get the updates.

pancakewagon
January 4th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Uh-Oh.... "Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing T-T

"edit" it can get the latest updates but it fails to download them! Idk whats wrong lol!!
"another edit" I figured it out! Well kinda... since i could not get it to work through the terminal in system recovery boot, i retried it in normal boot and except this time I didn't let the screen saver go on. And it didn't crash!!!