PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Installing help

shugo974
January 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
I want to switch from windows ME to linux xubuntu because of my ram is low and it tells me that it could not install a kernel, and which OS to boot from wont install. any advice on what i should do?

daydbai
January 3rd, 2009, 08:04 PM
Could you give more details?
For example, how are you trying to install?
When are you getting the error?
Are you trying to set up dual boot?
Have you tried using a live CD?

albinootje
January 3rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
I want to switch from windows ME to linux xubuntu because of my ram is low and it tells me that it could not install a kernel, and which OS to boot from wont install. any advice on what i should do?

How much RAM does your machine have ?

Try booting with Puppy Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux
and see how that goes.

shugo974
January 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
i have 128.0 RAM. IM installing it from a CD. Im getting the error when installing the OS to my flash drive and installing a option to select hat OS i want to boot up.

albinootje
January 3rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
i have 128.0 RAM. IM installing it from a CD. Im getting the error when installing the OS to my flash drive and installing a option to select hat OS i want to boot up.

What error messages do you get and when exactly ?
Grub error 22 ? or error 17 ? Or ?
And which howto are you following ?

shugo974
January 3rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
there was no error message all it said that I can retry downloading the grub thing or skip it on the menu

cardinals_fan
January 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Either use the Xubuntu alternate CD or try a lighter distro. I recommend SliTaz.

snowpine
January 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM
A computer that old likely cannot boot from a flash drive. Try installing to your hard drive. I also would recommend a lighter flavor of linux such as Puppy.