PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Guy Here ! Help !!!

meandshadow
January 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hi Everybody ! I finally got rid of my XP media center edition and came to the Ubuntu side... I have been looking to change my operating system for about a year, I've had this laptop for about a year now... I use to be a Mac user but needed to replace my stolen i-book and all I could afford was this Acer piece of *&%$ !!!
Anyway here is some info... Acer Aspire 5050- 5554
Media Center Edition
Specs are... AMD turion 64 x 2 Mobile chip TL50 (1.6 Ghz, 256 KB l2 Cache)
ATI Readon X-Press 1100 Video card
120 GB HDD 1 GB DDR ram
802.11 b/g wireless lan

So my problem so far is that I do not have any type of sound coming from the computer nor do I have a wireless connection...

PS: I must say that because of frustrations with Windows interfering with other programs as usual I have overwritten the entire hardrive with Ubuntu using it as my sole system....

So if any of you can point me in the direction of drivers to install so I can get my sound card, video card and wireless running smoothly that would be great... Remember that I am new to this system and therefore lacking in puter knowledge... Tx, :)

Hyper Tails
January 3rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
What Is your wireless adapter?

jerzydirtracer
January 3rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Hello, if you need any help with anything, just type your question in the search window in the upper right corner of the window, and search for the answer. There are many questions asked and answered. I had the same issues when I loaded Ubuntu about a yr ago, and it actually works better than windows with wireless and all the bells and whistles, and besides 1 year and no crashes that could not be repaired. Try that with windows. Even type your issue in Google and it will send you to where there is an answer or cure.

sadaruwan12
January 3rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
What Is your wireless adapter?
And I like to know do you have access to the internet also do you have a LAN card on you laptop

jerzydirtracer
January 3rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
Besides for Linux what ever distro, people are more than willing to help.

2hot6ft2
January 3rd, 2009, 05:56 PM
For the graphics cards drivers go to System>Administration>Hardware Drivers and install the one it recommends.

It will download and install the driver. When it finishes it will require a reboot. After the reboot go back to System>Administration>Hardware Drivers and make sure it's active. If not activate it. If it is you can go to System>Preferences>Screen Resolution and set it.

All done with the graphics driver.

abn91c
January 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
use this guide to get your sound going just page one. all terminal commands are case sensitive, it will be safe for you to copy/paste commands given in this guide.
to get to your terminal go to Applications>accessories>terminal
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

2hot6ft2
January 3rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
use this guide to get your sound going just page one. all terminal commands are case sensitive, it will be safe for you to copy/paste commands given in this guide.
Did you forget the link...:D
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4928900
That one perhaps

2hot6ft2
January 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449
That's from 2006. Ubuntu has PulseAudio built into it now.

abn91c
January 3rd, 2009, 06:17 PM
That's from 2006. Ubuntu has PulseAudio built into it now.
It works with 8.10, i used it to revive an ISA card on a 10 yrs old pc i have

meandshadow
January 4th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hello ! And thanks Everybody... Well what I did I just reinstall Ubuntu using all of my disk space thus getting rid of anything Windows and Acer (e-management) and having only Ubuntu as my sole OS...
I've figured out and fixed my sound problems... so all that's left now is the wireless sys...
So what I've got is Lan (wired) internet access and I know and can open the prefferences window but there's no place where I can see the networks in range... and thus log on to them... But I'll keep poking around the system even in safe mode just to make sure that everything is turn on and if that doen't work I'll look everywhere You guys have suggested... Thanks again...:)