PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 4gigs of ram = "safe graphics mode"

beastrace91
January 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
So I just recently got a new laptop (w00t w00t) and upon moving my HDD into it (in a manner of speaking, I cloned it over) I can only boot into "safe graphics mode" when ever I have my second 2 gig stick of ram in (meaning 4 gigs) it boots fine with a single stick... I am not sure if it is an an issue with having 4 gigs or an issue with having more than two (several other threads on these boards and online suggest it is the first) is there any way I can get my full four gigs working?... I am running Ubuntu 8.10 32bit.

Please Help,
~Jeff

sydbat
January 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
What type of system are you moving it from? It could be enough of a hardware change that your cloned system cannot recognize the new hardware?? You might have to do a clean install first, then move your data over.

Also, a 32 bit OS will only detect/use about 3.5 of the 4 GB you have. I would suggest changing to the 64 bit Ubuntu to access all your RAM. (at least try it via the Live CD to make sure your laptop will work fine)

taurus
January 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Does the second stick of RAM have the same spec as the first? Does the BIOS recognize both sticks, 4GB?

beastrace91
January 3rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
I moved from one Asus laptop to another (so I was hoping it wouldn't be to big of an issue) the largest change was that I went from an ATI to an Nvidia and I use envyng to handle that driver change... I am really trying to avoid a full format as I just got everything finally where I like it after 6 formats (give or take) in 2 weeks...

As for a 64bit OS aren't there issues with compiling most apps on that? (As most are designed for the more common 32bit OS)

~Jeff

beastrace91
January 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
Does the second stick of RAM have the same spec as the first? Does the BIOS recognize both sticks, 4GB?

Same specs. Bios can see both (and so can windows...)

~Jeff

taurus
January 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Try to swap the slots of the RAM. Also, at the GRUB menu, do the memtest.

sydbat
January 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
It's the "I haven't had any problems" answer. I know some people have had problems getting certain things to work in 64 bit, but I (knock on silicone) have not. It depends on what you want to run, I think, that matters...

beastrace91
January 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM
Try to swap the slots of the RAM. Also, at the GRUB menu, do the memtest.

Like switch the slot each stick is in?... And how do I run a memtest @ grub menu? (and how do I get to the grub menu?)

~Jeff

taurus
January 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Yes, switching the slots.

When you first turn on your computer, do you see the GRUB menu? You can also run the memtest from the LiveCD if you have one handy.

beastrace91
January 3rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
I will try switching the slots (although it seems kinda redundant) as for grub I see the "loading grub" and then it gives a 2 count, am I suppose to press something at that screen to get the grub menu? And I always have a live CD with me :) (in a manner of speaking, my flash drive is a bootable Ubuntu 8.10 disc) Is it easier to test it using that?

~Jeff

taurus
January 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Press the ESC key when you see that word GRUB on the screen. You have three seconds to do that.

beastrace91
January 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Ok last stupid question on my part... what is the command once I am at the grub console to run the memtest?

~Jeff

beastrace91
January 3rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
Nevermind it is the "displaymem" command I am assuming? Running that shows 4 gigs of ram...

~Jeff

beastrace91
January 3rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Also swapping the ram slots gets me the "safe graphics mode" still same as before.

~Jeff

beastrace91
January 3rd, 2009, 08:09 PM
Downloading a 64bit live CD now to see if that will let me use my 4gigs... if it works I guess I will reformat again.

~Jeff

beastrace91
January 3rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
64bit operating system looks to be the solution... although it is a shame Ubuntu cannot just clock back the amount of memory used like windows does...

~Jeff

beastrace91
January 3rd, 2009, 11:25 PM
EDIT:

I am now more than a little upset... the 64bit live CD and then once it was a fresh install worked great with the 4 gigs of ram. How ever AFTER updating everything (apt-get update and apt-get upgrade) I am now getting the "safe graphics mode" issue in the 64bit operating system as well! What did the update do that I can undo to cause it to basically revert?... This is really becoming a large headache very quickly :(

~Jeff

beastrace91
January 5th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Good to know Ubuntu won't boot properly with 2+ gigs of RAM, guess I will have to be formatting back to Xp now.

~Jeff