PDA

View Full Version : ubuntuforums or launchpad?

jbruced
January 3rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
If you absolutely positively need an intelligent answer in a timely manner, which do you use?

Based on 3 criteria.

1. Quality of support(knowledge and expertise of answers)
2. Timeliness.
3. Easy to find solved issues without posting.

I keep coming back to the forums for some reason, I think because I feel there is more information available that's already been solved.
My thoughts.

1. Launchpad(no knock on the forums, seems there are less people available on lauchpad, but seems most have a good level of knowledge, whereas on ubuntuforums there seems to be many more people willing to help, but there are more less knowledgable answers)
2. Tie
3. ubuntuforums(seems it has more data, but launchpad is easy to find answered issues)

SonnHalter
January 3rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
1.launchpad
2.ubuntuforums
3.tie

MikeTheC
January 3rd, 2009, 06:22 PM
Never heard of launchpad.

ithanium
January 3rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
1. ubuntuforums
2. lunchpad
3. tie

Skripka
January 3rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Ubuntuforums is a general help/troubleshooting domai, with many end-users onling 24 hours a day.

Launchpad is centered around bug reporting/tracking, with devs keeping a thumb on things.

2 very different purposes

cb951303
January 3rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
launchpad for support? isn't launchpad for bug reporting? am I missing something?

jbruced
January 3rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
I've used both and have had great success with both for troubleshooting/learning how issues.

UbuWu
January 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
launchpad for support? isn't launchpad for bug reporting? am I missing something?

Yes you missed something:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu

-grubby
January 3rd, 2009, 08:25 PM
Launchpad's central purpose is not support, likewise, it will not have better support than a large forum based on the same purpose.

cmat
January 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Usually on launchpad you get somebody asking you to try something before it's declared a bug. If you encounter a problem is best to go here first and if no one can figure it out report it on launchpad.

cb951303
January 3rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Yes you missed something:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu

I don't think the main purpose of "Answer" is support.

cb951303
January 3rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
[double post]

Slug71
January 3rd, 2009, 11:52 PM
Launchpad is MOSTLY for bugs.
The forum is here for help.

jpeddicord
January 4th, 2009, 12:46 AM

No, actually, it is. On any Ubuntu-supported application (Firefox, Gedit, Pidgin, etc) open the Help menu and then select Get Help Online. You will be taken right to Answers for that specific application.

jbruced
January 4th, 2009, 04:27 PM

Click on the link you provided, and at the top of the page it says "questions". I see this also as a place to ask questions.

Below that is a list of issues with a status of "open", "answered", and "needs more information".

If it's answered, in most cases its the same meaning as "solved" on the forums.

In my experience with launchpad(limited though it is), I've gotten good answers/solutions to issues with ubuntu I was having. Not bugs, but configuration/setup etc. issues.

Just my 2 cents here, I try to read everything everywhere I can find concerning my issues, but sometimes I just hit a brick wall and need advice from a guru or someone who's solved the same issue already.

Interesting that there are different takes on this.

binbash
January 5th, 2009, 08:25 AM
ubuntuforums and launchpad is different platforms, one is good for asking other is for bug reporting

joshmuffin
January 5th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I think (in my newb opinion) that launchpad is sometimes quite hard to navigate. ubuntufoums are good for things that you know have been solved.
Whereas launchpad is for major bugs that should and probably will be fixed with updates. I find it easier and more user friendly to use the forums, which is basically the point.

Sealbhach
January 5th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Launchpad is handy for finding solutions or workarounds - especially if you have hardware that's not playing ball. I find the site very slow though - so I avoid using it if I can.