PDA

View Full Version : My new favorite apps

agim
January 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
I have just started using Songbird (http://getsongbird.com/), a music player that recently went 1.0. It is a web browser, gives me recommendations from last.fm on similar artists, shows me media content (like youtube videos) from whatever artist I am listening to, and lets me know if that artist is playing a concert in my area any time soon. And its open source!

Also, I am using google desktop, which unfortunately, is not open source. Its similar to beagle, it catalogs my desktop and emails, and has a hotkey to run searches either through my desktop or over the web. It is very clean and efficient. So far, I am a fan.

Anyway, just thought I would pass these along... Def check out songbird!

SuperSonic4
January 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
I've never liked songbird, I have firefox, firefox 3.1 beta 2, minefield and konqueror as web browsers.

Amarok 1.4.10 is the best app for my music, it handles my library without an issue especially with various artists, it too has last fm integration and a built-in lyrics and wikipedia bar which can also be shown in an external browser with just one click

agim
January 8th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Interesting, I am more of a light desktop sort of guy, I usually move between xubuntu and openbox, and have avoided many kde apps because of the massive download. Though I may have to try it.

Bucky Ball
January 8th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Interesting, I am more of a light desktop sort of guy, I usually move between xubuntu and openbox, and have avoided many kde apps because of the massive download. Though I may have to try it.

+1

Xubuntu is my cup of tea and both my machines are running 2Gb of RAM and powerful processors! (although the desktop workstation does have the Ubuntu Studio apps and realtime kernel loaded also, hehe).

Gnomeplayer for mine, quick and easy.
Epiphany if I want to look at something (real) quickly and Firefox if I'm after something bloatworthy but with more bells and whisltes (like Zotero, the greatest opensource bibliographic tool ever!!!).

Rokurosv
January 8th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I hated songbird, it consumed more memory than firefox. I use Aqualung, I find it very light and simple

joshmuffin
January 8th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I love Songbird!!
I just started using irssi yaycore!

binbash
January 8th, 2009, 12:28 PM
i dont like songbird anymore, it uses way too much resources