PDA

View Full Version : [kde] How do I upgrade to KDE 4.2 from 3.5?

RedMartin
January 3rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
I've been using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS with the standard Gnome desktop.

I've installed KDE 3.5.1 by installing Kubuntu desktop.
( sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop )

I've been reading about the developments for KDE4 and I'd like to try them. I'm not sure how to go about it though. I tried updating the system but it shows no updates necessary. I can't find it in Adept or Synaptic either.

One more thing. Can I upgrade to KDE4 without installing all the Kubuntu desktop stuff (Konqueror, Kaffeine etc) again.

Many thanks.

Skripka
January 3rd, 2009, 05:37 PM
I've been using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS with the standard Gnome desktop.

I've installed KDE 3.5.1 by installing Kubuntu desktop.
( sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop )

I've been reading about the developments for KDE4 and I'd like to try them. I'm not sure how to go about it though. I tried updating the system but it shows no updates necessary. I can't find it in Adept or Synaptic either.

One more thing. Can I upgrade to KDE4 without installing all the Kubuntu desktop stuff (Konqueror, Kaffeine etc) again.

Many thanks.

The KDE experimental repos only have 4.2Beta2 packages (the current dev release) for Intrepid Ibex 8.10 only....I don't know if there are any plans to backport 4.2 to Hardy Heron or not. In any case a finished 4.2 KDE release will not be until the end of January, at the soonest.

RedMartin
January 3rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks for that. I'll wait a bit for the finished version.

TBH I'm finding KDE to be a bit slow. Close tabs in Firefox takes about a second. Switch to Gnome and it's pretty much instant!

GerryB
January 3rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
Theoretically you should be able to from Hardy. Search for the KDE4 desktop package in Adept. If it isn't there, the books are wrong.

edog76
January 4th, 2009, 11:00 AM
How to:
http://maketecheasier.com/install-kde-41-in-ubuntu-hardy-heron/2008/07/31

You can also go the GUI route by opening System>>Admin>>Software Sources and pasting in the deb url. Then select KDE 4 in Synaptic.

I have it on my Hardy and it is quite different from KDE 3. You might want to take a look at the KDE homepage (http://www.kde.org) to read the overview of the changes and how the project is going to develop.