PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu Studio via usb flash drive

Radonballoon
January 3rd, 2009, 06:31 AM
I need some help. My laptop has no cd/dvd drive so I was wanting to install ubuntu studio with a flash drive. I managed to do this with regular Ubuntu so I figured it would be pretty easy.

I used UNetbootin to get the iso onto the drive and set up booting and what have you, and then I successfully loaded the installation process. Then it failed almost immediately because it couldn't find my cd-rom drive. I mounted the usb drive onto the cdrom path and then it found the cd-rom but couldn't load any data from it.

Any suggestions?

korakios
January 4th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Hello!i just register here cause I have the same problem...i could not even find which was the mounted drive to create a link between "sdb or something" and cdrom...

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 4th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Do either of you have Ubuntu 8.10 running on a computer?

Radonballoon
January 4th, 2009, 10:45 PM
No, I was about to upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 though. Why do you ask?

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 5th, 2009, 01:29 AM
No, I was about to upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 though. Why do you ask?

8.10 has a System/Admin option to create a startup USB that can be used to install or run an OS from a USB stick.

korakios
January 5th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Nope,i'm on XP..I just want ardour-rosegarden with rt-kernel one my aceronelaptop!

Radonballoon
January 5th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Is that not the same as UNetbootin? The problem isn't with getting it to boot, but trying to get it to recognize that I'm using a USB and not a DVD.