PDA

View Full Version : Good Programming Research Site

Mr.Macdonald
January 3rd, 2009, 05:48 AM
I am looking to join a programming research group or, if its way above my head, then just read their work.

Do you know of any websites that do this. I don't want something like sourceforge because I felt it focused on applications rather that research. All the problems on soureforge have been solved informally (as far as I know).

kcode
January 3rd, 2009, 07:52 AM
Checkout ACM.

CptPicard
January 3rd, 2009, 04:34 PM
How about considering university? :) What are your academic credentials so far?

Greyed
January 3rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
Do you know of any websites that do this. I don't want something like sourceforge because I felt it focused on applications rather that research. All the problems on soureforge have been solved informally (as far as I know).

If all the problems have been solved then why are there constantly new projects created and activity on old projects it not to solve problems? ;)

Mr.Macdonald
January 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
How about considering university? What are your academic credentials so far?In High School, thats why I might just have to read their work

If all the problems have been solved then why are there constantly new projects created and activity on old projects it not to solve problems?
From what I saw most projects seemed to be Java based (problems solved in java's libraries), Desktop Environments (how many do we need), GUI text/html/code editors (we have millions). Most everything seemed to already be solved on linux.

CptPicard
January 3rd, 2009, 06:09 PM
In High School, thats why I might just have to read their work

Pick a subject of interest and head to either

http://scholar.google.com/, http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/

They are full of papers -- a lifetime is enough to cover just a small part...

Mind you, comfortably reading most papers tends to take a B.Sc. plus M.Sc. level studies in the field...

I am not sure what you mean by "programming research" though. Programming languages are a field of study within CS...

From what I saw most projects seemed to be Java based (problems solved in java's libraries), Desktop Environments (how many do we need), GUI text/html/code editors (we have millions). Most everything seemed to already be solved on linux.

I am not sure if you can call that "programming research"... it's just implementing stuff in a language of choice. The technical and architecture problems are interesting of course, but my understanding of research is something slightly different...

Greyed
January 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM

If everything were already solved then there would be no development. Think about what I am saying and the nature of what programming is for a minute and you'll get it. Or you won't. Either way, you might want to rephrase what it is you're after because what you're asking for ain't what you're looking for.