View Full Version : [ubuntu] What caused network connection to fail? Leap year bug?

January 3rd, 2009, 04:28 AM
This isn't a new install. I've been using Ubuntu 8.04 happily for months now. Then, this morning, boom - no network connection! What could have caused this? Is it a hardware failure? end of year software bug? How can I diagnose and solve this problem? Please help me!

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop, connecting via wireless to a home network. The network is running fine. Something's wrong with the laptop, only I can't tell what it is. I haven't made any system changes recently.

January 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
post output of
1)iwlist scanning

from the terminal

January 4th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Sorry for the newbie question, but since I can't connect to the internet on the laptop, can you tell me how to output this information to a file? (so I can copy to a jump drive)

January 5th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Quick way is to use redirect operator (>>) - eg. ifconfig >> ifconfig.txt.

The redirect operator is actually just ">". The example above appends data to a file. If the file doesn't exist, it creates it - so the result is the same, but if the file already exists, ">" will replace it, ">>" adds to it. Sorry if I've caused any confusion.

January 11th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks, everybody. We have resolved the problem.

The problem was caused by a wireless card failure. I ordered a new wireless card from Dell. (not an easy thing to accomplish - that company has serious customer service problems) After replacing the card, we had to Remove the connection to our family network, because the configuration wasn't accepting the password, then let the card find it again, prompt us to enter the password, and everything was working again!