PDA

View Full Version : My first Successful Internet connection with ubuntu

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 02:15 AM
Ntacman here, Proud to say finally getting Ubuntu wireless working and sound working, right out of the box!I didn't have to do a single thing, just popped in the live CD, tested the hardware, and worked. Did a fresh install of Ubuntu, and it STILL works. I would like to thank the ubuntu linux distro team for making such a fabulous, life saving operating system. Windows XP was running so frickin' Sluggish on this 'dated hardware, that I was surprised it booted up as quick as it did.

Many, Many thanks
-Ntacman

secondstage
January 3rd, 2009, 02:36 AM
Thanks for telling. It is always good to hear of success, rather than failure. I'm glad that you figured it out on first try, I spent a week trying to figure it out, but then found out that I had messed with it soo much that it was non-recoverable, unless I reinstalled Ubuntu. So I did and ever since have been a proud owner of an Ubuntu box. :D

If you find that it is still a bit sluggish, I would recommend Xubuntu. It has a lighter desktop, so it will run faster. Still the same quality.

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 03:06 AM
Hello, Secondstage, and Im as glad as you are as that its working. I also have a desktop with ubuntu on it, similiar specs, And couldn't get wireless looking for the life of me. I tried everything. And yes, I considered Xubuntu, but I see no sluggishness in ubuntu, unlike Win-fails. And I like that avatar, I am familiar with ubuntu studio, used it before I believe, but I've heard that distro name countless times. The only other distro I would get is one for writers...*cough*.

Islington
January 3rd, 2009, 03:17 AM
Hello, Secondstage, and Im as glad as you are as that its working. I also have a desktop with ubuntu on it, similiar specs, And couldn't get wireless looking for the life of me. I tried everything. And yes, I considered Xubuntu, but I see no sluggishness in ubuntu, unlike Win-fails. And I like that avatar, I am familiar with ubuntu studio, used it before I believe, but I've heard that distro name countless times. The only other distro I would get is one for writers...*cough*.I believe a distro for writers would entail:

1.timer app
2.tomboy/editor
3.???
4.profit.

secondstage
January 3rd, 2009, 03:20 AM
Have you double checked the live CD works, becuase if the cd works then you ahve done something in your tries that caused a screw-up. Yeah. I have to update it every 6 months though. not like its a pain, but I usually forget to save an .xcf for GIMP (makes it alot easier to edit later), it ends up taking longer. but oh well. It's really nice that every version has a zero. the constant updates makes Ubuntu really quick to get something incase another distro has invented something new.

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 03:21 AM
Aye, thats another reason why I switched to ubuntu. So many reasons why I switched, I could possibly create a book about it...

secondstage
January 3rd, 2009, 03:23 AM
That would be interesting. "The 100 reasons why to switch to Ubuntu" by Ntacman.

PS. I'm liking the signature. I can imagine trying to rig a CD player to play backwards. Maybe just rip an iso, then reverse all of the bits and burn the iso on another DVD. Now how in the world would I reverse the sequence of bits?

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 03:27 AM
Do the ultimate task. Hack Life's Computer. With ubuntu ofc. And I might just have to create that book. By the way, Call me Matthew. Or whatever you'd like, unless its rude. :/. And you make it sound like your creating a 3d model of some sort..*ideas*.

secondstage
January 3rd, 2009, 03:35 AM
That's a big task. I mean. Life is life and it would probably have a large sum of databases containing valuable information (UFO's, secret agencies, and the such, nothing to ridiculous).

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 03:37 AM
I never said hacking life's computer would be easy...Unless life decides it should be :/.

secondstage
January 3rd, 2009, 03:41 AM
And why would life do such a thing? Doesn't it want to keep it's identity safe?

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 03:43 AM
I understand your logic...But, what if it has more then one Identity?And, what if it has multiple computers, and the info in them is split up on each computer?

secondstage
January 3rd, 2009, 03:53 AM
Are you saying that hacking one computer would only be helpful if all of the computers were hacked? Like if each computer had one column of the database, but to get the whole story said hacker would have to seize all of the computers and join all of the columns to get the final result of a full database of information.

But who says that the data would be in a database. Even though that might be the most effective, more secure ways of storing information could be used. For example(I am making this up but) a file for each person. And said file is encrypted to the point of almost no return. And if ife is so great, then I guess it would have the power to re-encrypted the files each day, so that if a person found the decryption code, it would only be valid for a single day.

Or maybe if the files were encryted using themselves. Is that even possible? Using the file as a key to encrypt itself. But then you have to have a copy of the original to decrypt it, which would defeat the purpose in the first place. Gosh this is getting crazy.

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 03:56 AM
Your brain size, is to large. It depresses me so.

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 04:10 AM
Top ten reasons Why I switched to Linux(ubuntu)
By Ntacman

1)More Secure then Windows*winfails*
Ever heard the never ending phrase “I caught a virus!”?This phrase is
practically unheard of in the linux community. Go to a linux user and ask the following question “How many viruses do you have on your computer?” The response will be along the lines of “Well, that depends...what the heck is a virus?”. Ask the same question to a Windows user, and the answer will vary, but the most common is “I have to many to count.”

2)Stabler
Ever been writing a document in oh, say, Microsoft Office Word, only to have your computer go to the dreaded BSOD?9 out of 10 times, Linux will never experience this problem. Windows experiences it 9 out of 10 times a day.

secondstage
January 3rd, 2009, 04:18 AM
number 2 isn't that bad. i mean as long as you have the LATEST hardware you will be fine.

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 04:19 AM
What people don't know, won't hurt them. ;]. I'll do anything to hurt Windows...No, microsoft in general. I wasted too much of my money on there unstable OS.

secondstage
January 3rd, 2009, 05:12 AM
But you have to understand that more than enough people use windows on a daily basis. So they will know that it isn't that bad. Plus, If you lie to public, they will go on to not believe anything else that you say (ex. the little boy who cried wolf). And if you plan to make money off such a writing then you must have an audience to buy said book.

And I hate to be blunt, but who was the person that actually bought it? You. So only the only that you have to blame is yourself. But if you HAD to have it for work or something like that, then the business ought to front the money for an Operating System that they think is suit. Maybe if you think that Ubuntu is set for the world go out and tell businesses. But to me, until Ubuntu can be managed like a school, or a workplace manages windows, Ubuntu will not become the best OS.

People will adapt to their environment, and if Windows is used at a school, or work, then the student, or worker will most likely get Windows, because most people don't want to take the time, and/or effort to adapt to a new OS. (I say MOST because this community, the Linux community, is the outlier to this theory.)

This is all from my mind. No citing. Just what I believe.

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 05:15 AM
Once again, your excellent logic has curb-stomped mine.