PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disk verify problems in OS X

spliffy13
January 3rd, 2009, 02:03 AM
I'm trying to create an install CD for 8.04.1 using Disk Utility in Mac OS 10.4.11. After downloading, I did an MD5 check on my .iso file, and the hash value was exactly what it should be. However, when I burned the image, Disk Utility said it failed to verify the burn. When I tried to verify the actual .iso file in Disk Utility, it says "Verify volume failed with error Invalid request"

I tried to use the CD (on the PC I'm installing it on), and it was bootable. It came to the main menu, but when I chose "Check CD for defects" it hung and I had to reboot. It did the same thing on my Macbook Pro, too.

I've downloaded from two different mirrors and had the same problem.

Any insights into this problem?

Rebelli0us
January 3rd, 2009, 02:39 AM
I too had difficulty downloading ubuntu-8.04-desktop-amd64.iso, I had to try several mirrors and some downloads failed. I had better luck with WS_FTP, it worked finally and I burned a bootable CD. Keep trying.

spliffy13
January 3rd, 2009, 06:17 AM
That's not quite what I meant. It downloads fully, but Disk Utility won't verify the ISO and the disk doesn't work.

I just downloaded the full file from another mirror, and tried to burn it on a PC. Same result... it completed the burn, but during the verification process came up with a bunch of errors. The resulting disk wasn't even readable. I'm going to try again with a different burning program... I'll see what happens.