PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] simple scripting

jonaskn
January 3rd, 2009, 01:15 AM
I'm quite new to Linux, and have absolutely no experience in programming, but in windows I was able to make simple .bat files. Now I would like to do something similar in linux, the command I want run is:

vlc rtsp://streamer-01.dr.nordija.dk/dr2high

I can make a text file containing the command, and in terminal type:

bash mytextfile
and vlc opens the link just fine.

My problem is that I would like, not to do any typing, so how do I make a file on which I can just double click

OutOfReach
January 3rd, 2009, 01:17 AM
You can save this script:

#!/bin/bash
vlc rtsp://streamer-01.dr.nordija.dk/dr2high

On, say, your desktop. Then right click on the file, Select properties then goto the Permissions tab. Select 'Execute as program' (or something along the lines of that). And that should do it.

bump_
January 3rd, 2009, 01:19 AM
First thing is put

#!/bin/bash

as the first line of your script. This tells the shell to use the bash shell to run your script.

Second, after you are done typing the script, run

chmod +x scriptname

while you are in the same directory as the script and that will make it executable. Double clicking should work now.

Barriehie
January 3rd, 2009, 01:29 AM
I have some scripts that I run and I have them in /home/barrie/myscripts/bash/ folder. On the desktop you can right click and select create launcher. You can give the item a name and then the file to run when the item is selected. You'll have to add the path to your scripts to your environment. You can do this by opening ~/.bashrc and find where it says PATH= and at the end of that line add the path to your scripts, preceeded by a colon. Save the file and in the terminal type source ~/.bashrc Now the OS should be able to find your scripts when you double click the launcher.

Can also use a custom icon if you like after you get the icon on the desktop.

Barrie

Edit: the ~/ means your home folder.

My addition to my .bashrc looks like this:

#
# Edit $PATH environment variable
#
PATH=$PATH:/home/barrie/myscripts/bash:/home/barrie/myscripts/python
export PATH

jonaskn
January 3rd, 2009, 01:40 AM
Thanks a lot for the quick and good answers.

scorp123
January 3rd, 2009, 01:44 AM
I have some scripts that I run and I have them in /home/barrie/myscripts/bash/ folder. Out of curiosity: Why not have them in ~/bin? (that's /home/your_user_name/bin for those who don't understand the meaning of "~/" ... )

Barriehie
January 3rd, 2009, 02:10 AM
Out of curiosity: Why not have them in ~/bin? (that's /home/your_user_name/bin for those who don't understand the meaning of "~/" ... )

myscripts seemed more appropriate, first folder name to mind. No particular reason.

Barrie

scorp123
January 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
myscripts seemed more appropriate The reason I ask: ~/bin is already included per default in the search path if I am not mistaken. So it would make more sense to place your own scripts there. Placing them somewhere else and then having to manipulate the search path .... seems a bit complicated, IMHO.

Barriehie
January 3rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
The reason I ask: ~/bin is already included per default in the search path if I am not mistaken. So it would make more sense to place your own scripts there. Placing them somewhere else and then having to manipulate the search path .... seems a bit complicated, IMHO.

Good to know, thank you!
Barrie