PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Communiating with a Windows Messenger user on webcam?

tomsax
January 3rd, 2009, 12:09 AM
I have just installed Xubuntu and would now like to get it running with webcam and communicating with a Windows Messenger user. I believe this is possible but so far havent seen any webcam facility in Pidgin and nothing has happened after plugging my webcam into the USB.

Can I use web cam with Pidgin or what do I use?

What webcameras are compatible with Xubuntu/ have drivers etc.?

shafi
January 3rd, 2009, 12:16 AM
I have just installed Xubuntu and would now like to get it running with webcam and communicating with a Windows Messenger user. I believe this is possible but so far havent seen any webcam facility in Pidgin and nothing has happened after plugging my webcam into the USB.

Can I use web cam with Pidgin or what do I use?

What webcameras are compatible with Xubuntu/ have drivers etc.?
You can Install Kopete, you can not use your webcam in pidgin, but you can use it with kopete , it has lots of facilities

sudo apt-get install kopete

once you installed you have to download a package named Jasper and you should install that manually , you can read the ReadMe file for installation.
regarding which webcam, UVC is a good one, its compatible with linux you can find the dirver over the net.

stoogiebuncho
January 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM
Most Logitech webcams seem to work with Ubuntu pretty well.

tomsax
January 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the help. Have now installed kopete. Looks like I will have to buy or steal a new webcam though.

Tom--d
January 3rd, 2009, 12:39 PM
Your webcam should work out of the box on (x)Ubuntu 8.10

Pidgin doesn't have any voice or video support as of yet. There are plans tho :) And I think its in development (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Install the program called Cheese from Add/Remove. Does your webcam work there?