PDA

View Full Version : Who Is your favourite Sci Fi author ?

BGFG
January 3rd, 2009, 12:01 AM
Mine is Neil Stephenson. Pure genius...I strongly recommend
Snow Crash - Blew My mind
Diamond Age - Insane
Cryptonomicon - The protagonist, in one scene, describes whe he uses BeOS, Unix, and other os'es for hacking and whatnot.

For the best combination of scientific reality, theory, and out of this world tech spun with fantastic genius, Pick any Neil Stephenson and have a read.

Can't find the time to work through the Baroque Cycle yet, another Stephenson trilogy...

crimesaucer
January 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM
I haven't read much Science Fiction.... just a few Robert A. Heinlein novels like "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Methuselah's Children". (and one L. Ron Hubbard book that wasn't that bad.... it was "The Invaders Plan" of the Mission Earth series).... Douglas Adams was cool too.

I plan on reading a lot of Philip K. **** soon. I also want to read all of the DUNE books.

Toffeeapple
January 3rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
I don't read much SF nowadays but I used to like..

Larry Niven - First two Ringworld books, Protector, A world Out Of Time, Integral trees and lots more.

Clifford D. Simack - Way Station, Shakespeare's Planet, Destiny Doll and loads more.

jr3us
January 3rd, 2009, 12:47 AM
I'm going classic SciFi... Isaac Asimov for his Foundation series, Robot series, and all the short stories he did in the 40s/50s.

Also Michael Crichton for the books that had all the story before the movies came out. :D

smartboyathome
January 3rd, 2009, 01:14 AM
I would have to say, atm, Madeline L'Engle is my favorite. She did fantastic work on her time quartet and many of her other books (I've read most of them, in fact ;)). I just watched the movie "Contact" by Carl Sagan, though, and have liked his show Cosmos, so I am planning on reading some of his books next. :)

GCG199
January 3rd, 2009, 01:15 AM
I'll have to go with Robert A. Heinlein and L. Neil Smith [Smith is highly influenced by Heinlein].

I have read a few of their books and have a lot more to read still.

bobmitch
January 3rd, 2009, 01:20 AM
Asimov was my first, and favourite for many years.
Nowadays, I`d probably have to go for either Ian M Banks or Peter F Hamilton.

PartisanEntity
Philip K. **** and Neal Asher are two of my favourites, although I also like Arthur C. Clarke, Iain M. Banks, some of Isaac Asimov and Richard Paul Russo.

ksennin
Samuel Delany, Roger Zelazny and Iain M. Banks.

cariboo
January 3rd, 2009, 01:36 AM
I love space opera, David Weber and John Ringo.

Jim

BGFG
January 3rd, 2009, 02:05 AM
I was expecting some Asimov fans :) I never got into it, i think I was too young at the time to appreciate it.
I've read many others over the years, but can't remember the authors. Will try to check out some that you guys have posted...Thanks.

Any Terry Pratchett fans ?

ajcham
January 3rd, 2009, 02:25 AM
Any Terry Pratchett fans ?

I read Only You Can Save Mankind as a kid and loved it, but for some reason never got around to reading the rest of the trilogy (nor any other Pratchett books for that matter).

Sami_Sdata
January 3rd, 2009, 02:32 AM
Lately I've been enjoying Edward Lerner's new takes on Niven's Know Space. Fleet of Worlds and now Juggler of Worlds fill in some of the back story for the Ringworld books.

solitaire
January 3rd, 2009, 02:51 AM
OK where to begin....

Philip K. ****
Douglas Adams ( He had the most amazing way of looking at reality!!)
Terry Pratchett (Disk World is probably the best series ever!)
Carl Sagan (love Contact the book and the movie)
Stephen Donaldson (Gap series)
Clifford D. Simack (only ever read one of his books! "Ring Around the Sun" loved it!)

daylung
January 3rd, 2009, 03:24 AM
Since he hasn't been mentioned yet, Tad Williams. His Otherland series is very good, but long (never boring though). Douglas Adams is also great, HHGTTG is a must read as far as I'm concerned.

gletob
January 3rd, 2009, 06:15 AM
I never really got into the whole Sci-Fi genre.

*RUNS AWAY SCREAMING WITH FEAR*

BGFG
January 3rd, 2009, 06:29 AM
I never really got into the whole Sci-Fi genre.

*RUNS AWAY SCREAMING WITH FEAR*

It's pretty broad man...Check out Snow Crash.

Chilli Bob
January 3rd, 2009, 08:42 AM
Arthur C Clark and Douglas Adams.

WelterPelter
January 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Iain M. Banks is a fabulous SF author, who also writes literary novels.

Ken MacLeod and Charles Stross are very good, too.

And, of course, Bruce Sterling.

mips
January 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Arthur C. Clarke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_C_Clarke)
Carl Sagan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan)
Douglas Adams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Adams)
Greg Bear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Bear)
Michael Crichton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Crichton)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction_writers for those trying to find a name ;)

sisco311
January 3rd, 2009, 11:58 PM
Stanisław Lem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanisław_Lem)

45acp
January 4th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Frank Herbert. Liked the first Dune book.

PhoenixMaster00
January 4th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Assimov was the first sci-fi author i got into more specifically the Foundation series. I just love how he captures the scope of humanity inhabiting the universe.

befana
January 4th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Isaac Asimov

mikeize
January 4th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Philip K. **** is by far my favorite, though I almost hesitate to limit his work to "sci-fi". In general his books focus on the nature of consciousness and what it means to be human. In that way, they are philosophical, and the sci-fi aspects are almost incidental props.

I took an anthropology class a couple years ago called "Fantasy and Social Values", in which we read and discussed several sci-fi books. I particularly liked "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card, and books by Ursula K. LeGuin (can't remember the titles right now hehe).

Good topic, btw!

Grant A.
January 4th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Asimov, the movie based on his book Bicentennial Man was beautiful.

cmat
January 4th, 2009, 01:49 AM
William Gibson. I like the cyberpunk stuff.

chamber
January 4th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Joe Haldeman - LOVE the forever war

BGFG
January 4th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Asimov, the movie based on his book Bicentennial Man was beautiful.

I saw the movie also, considering how good it was i assume the book was amazing.
Saw I-Robot also, went into it expecting utter crap but was pleasantly surprised by the storyline, only to find out afterward that it was an Asimov. Hence the good storyline :)

|{urse
January 4th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Carl Sagan

Sami_Sdata
January 4th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Saw I-Robot also, went into it expecting utter crap but was pleasantly surprised by the storyline, only to find out afterward that it was an Asimov. Hence the good storyline :)

I Robot the movie had nothing in common with the book except the title. The book was a collection of short stories about robots. None of those stories we the basis for the movie. I did enjoy the movie but it wasn't an Asimov story.

MikeTheC
January 4th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Since he did write some sci-fi stuff, I think I can safely mention Piers Anthony here, though I like him for his sci-fi/fantasy blends, such as the Apprentice Adept and Xanth series.

I've read a little Roger Zelazny (whom I only recently learned is from my home town, way to go Euclid!), and I've read Philip K. ****'s Bladerunner novel, which is fairly decent.

I'm not a fan of Arthur C. Clarke's books, even though I liked the two movies (2001, 2010) based upon them.

Douglas Adams has already been mentioned, I know, but he has really made quite a contribution, I think, particularly in how to think about things and people. Amazing sense of humor. Loved HHGTTG (read the first four in high school), loved Dirk Gently, and actually he did a good job on the Dr. Who episodes (all Tom Baker ones) he'd worked on. Such a pity he died so young.

Most of the other sci-fi stuff I've read have been series novels with different authors for each (Dr. Who novelizations, Star Trek and Star Wars books, etc.)

Now, if we were just talking sci-fi outright and not just books, then I'd also have to include Joe Straczynski. I really, strongly wish Paramount would have given him Star Trek to re-work. *sigh*