PDA

View Full Version : To Ubuntu With a Story

Askualution
January 2nd, 2009, 11:29 PM
Hiya, All.

My name is Joseph "Askualution", and...

I'm a Windows user (yep, Windows.. Yep, Lagdows). Also, I have a new wife, right next to Windows -- Ubuntu 8.10! :D (Psst, don't tell Windows, she might get jealous).

Lol, anywho. I would like to give a big thumbs up to the Ubuntu community, and developers in general. I first started using Ubuntu, on Windows XP with vmware. I then learned that I can dual/tripple Windows XP / Windows Vista with Ubuntu, so I did.

I'm still (painfully, and slowly) learning the Terminal, I got a few programs installed, wine to name one. I also compiled my first program with Ubuntu. (What I have to get used to is sudo apt-get. I don't even know what that means, but it works sure well)

In the past, I used to put down Linux users, asking why do they even use Linux (Along with Mac). They usually say 'its better than Windows, less viruses', ect, ect. But now that I have finally tried my first Linux OS, I am quite surprised. I view it as a child of DOS and Windows with Vista-ish features.

I guess what I'm saying is that I love Ubuntu. It won't be my primary OS like Windows, which I grew up on. But I'll use it to toy around with things.

Linux, is, indeed, complicated to learn. But after a while. You'll get used to it. I'll never master it. Chances of me checking this forum is slim, but if I do, I'll post. Please, fellow people of the community, do not let Ubuntu die. I'm surprised as how all these Linux OS got so far with open source programs... and still remain free.. and I hope that Ubuntu will remain such a good Linux distribution -- installation was easy and swift. Like all operating systems supposed to be.

Thats sorta all I got to say. Take care and happy new years!

Pogeymanz
January 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
I'm glad that you are enjoying your Linux experience.

This community is great, so if you have any questions about Linux, make sure to post them and you'll get a clear answer (usually). For example, your apt-get question:

Debian based Linux distributions, like Ubuntu, use the apt package manager which has various commands associated with it; apt-get is to download and install a package from the repositories and I believe apt-remove is to uninstall a package. But, you need root (admin) priveleges to install software, which is why you run 'sudo' before the command. I THINK the name 'sudo' has to do with the command su ('s'witch 'u'ser) and the english word "do" so that you are temporalily switching to the root user to do the following command.

When you use the GUI program Synaptic, you are just using a frontend to the command line program apt.

Also... don't go around saying the Linux is a child of DOS. We don't need any more bad publicity. ;) Linux is an orphan whose foster parent was Unix, which was around long before DOS.

Happy Computing,
Rob