PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vista boot loader defualt boot loader

looi76
January 2nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
When I switch on my computer GRUB loads. How can I make Vista Boot Loader the default Boot Loader?

handydan918
January 2nd, 2009, 11:13 PM
Why?
While it is probably possible to make vista load another O/S, what would make you want to? Especially since grub is working!

Now, making Vista the default is different. That's easy. Is that all you want?

looi76
January 2nd, 2009, 11:36 PM
I Triple Boot Vista, XP and Ubuntu. I want to have one boot screen and I think I can boot Ubuntu through Vista Boot Loader using EasyBCD. So, how can I make Vista Boot Loader the default boot loader?

handydan918
January 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM
I Triple Boot Vista, XP and Ubuntu. I want to have one boot screen and I think I can boot Ubuntu through Vista Boot Loader using EasyBCD. So, how can I make Vista Boot Loader the default boot loader?
I guess you'd overwrite grub with ntloader and consult your EasyBCD documentation.

EDIT: That still doesn't explain the need to use the vista boot loader. Grub is quite capable of loading about any O/S ever built, and in huge quantities. I have multi-booted over a dozen O/S's on two different disks, and I know of installations of over 100 -all booted by grub.

So again, why?

gn2
January 3rd, 2009, 01:02 AM
You could probably do it with a Vista Recovery CD (http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/).

jamesrfla
January 3rd, 2009, 01:12 AM
The windows boot loader can't pick up Ubuntu. Only Microsoft operating systems unless you installed using Wubi.

looi76
January 3rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
I can't Boot Windows XP from GRUB. So, when I switch on my computer first GRUB loads then I choose Vista Boot Loader then I can choose XP. Can I boot XP from GRUB? because I tired doing that by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst and that didn't work :(

Jay_Bee
January 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
Here is what I did, but I did it during the installation.
I had Vista installed and then I installed Ubuntu to it's own partition and placed GRUB on that same partition (there is an advanced button in the installer that lets you set the partition.
I booted Vista and added Ubuntu using EasyBCD...
Now Vista's bootloader is the default one!
Then I set the delay on grub to 0, and that was it...

Maybe you could try something like that by overwriting GRUB with Vista bootloader and then reinstalling GRUB to Ubuntu's partition and add it to the list using EasyBCD. Just be very carefull because this could be tricky.

Check this out: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu

egalvan
January 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
Can I boot XP from GRUB? because I tired doing that by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst and that didn't work :(

Please post the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst

We can go from there.

ErmestG