PDA

View Full Version : Who picks the code names for Ubuntu?

arashiko28
January 2nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
Ubuntu 9.04 - Jaunty Jackalope
I've been making a little research about the next Ubuntu release, which I'm looking forward to see I finally my laptop will be completely compatible with it. So far, Have to twitch sound and a few things, not that I complain, but it's better to have it served out of the box :D.
Now, I have researched a bit for the jackalope since it's not an animal I've ever heard about and realized that there is no translation for it. What I have found of the jackalope it's that besides being a north american folklore creature, the animal by itself does not exist, what does exist is a regular rabbit or jackrabbit with skin cancer, provoked by the Shope papilloma virus and sun exposure combination. This causes the keratin (what nails and our outer layer of skin are made of) to thicken and grow out shaped like horns.

This disease also affects humans, provoking horn-like formations to grow in different parts of the body. Can be caused by papilloma virus, epithelial hyperplasia, solar keratosis or squamous cell carcinoma. Sorry if this may look like full of medical terms, but I just think that it's unfair, these are sick animals popularized by folklore giving to them even the ability to talk.
I though that the idea was the use of real animals name.

RATM_Owns
January 2nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
I do.

You have a problem? Cause I'd love to hear about it.

*gets shotgun*

Ub1476
January 2nd, 2009, 11:04 PM
I think Mark does. I agree that Ubuntu should stick to real animal names though, and even better African names.

giantoz
January 2nd, 2009, 11:20 PM
A Drake is a mythical animal...right?

I guess they could've meant a male duck.

bgerlich
January 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
The process of creating code names if fairly complicated. Actually it works in the same way in Microsoft, Google and Canonical. Namely:

Sergey Brin, Steve Ballmer, Richard Stallman and Mark Shuttleworth sit down to a game of Scrabble. Stallman refuses to play on account that it should be named GNU/Scrabble, Shuttleworth says that he needs "J" now, because last time he had an "I", Brin starts with a seven letter word and get a bonus in the first round, Ballmer shouts "F**k you Google!" and throws a chair at the board. Letter block fly around the room, everybody grabs as much of them as the can and runs out. The room is left empty, with a broken chair and RMS standing in the middle refusing to pick up letters on account that the font used on them is not GPLv3 compatible.

In the solitude of their offices the players try to create a product name out of the letters they picked up. The process is repeated every half a year.

Bens_fullonworld
January 3rd, 2009, 02:29 AM
Alternative Codes that never made it:

Grungy Gibbon
Headstrong Heron
Insolent Ibex
Jackass Jackalope.

Seriously, Ubuntu in Zulu means "I am who I am because of those around me", and these animals might be around the developers?

Woormy
January 3rd, 2009, 02:54 AM
The process of creating code names if fairly complicated. Actually it works in the same way in Microsoft, Google and Canonical. Namely:

Sergey Brin, Steve Ballmer, Richard Stallman and Mark Shuttleworth sit down to a game of Scrabble. Stallman refuses to play on account that it should be named GNU/Scrabble, Shuttleworth says that he needs "J" now, because last time he had an "I", Brin starts with a seven letter word and get a bonus in the first round, Ballmer shouts "F**k you Google!" and throws a chair at the board. Letter block fly around the room, everybody grabs as much of them as the can and runs out. The room is left empty, with a broken chair and RMS standing in the middle refusing to pick up letters on account that the font used on them is not GPLv3 compatible.

In the solitude of their offices the players try to create a product name out of the letters they picked up. The process is repeated every half a year.

Where can I buy tickets to this?

arashiko28
January 3rd, 2009, 03:05 AM

Perhaps the most genuine answer around!!!:P

ProgramErgoSum
January 3rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
Here are some suggestions that might sound 'realistic' - Egoic Eagle (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5793351#post5793351).

forrestcupp
January 3rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
I guess it might be better if they used real animal names. It doesn't really matter, though because the real name will be 9.04.

A Drake is a mythical animal...right?

I guess they could've meant a male duck.
I think it was meant to be a male duck.

|eafhound
January 3rd, 2009, 04:31 PM
mark and the team in the London headquarters choose the name :popcorn:

arashiko28
January 3rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
I guess it might be better if they used real animal names. It doesn't really matter, though because the real name will be 9.04.

I think it was meant to be a male duck.

Jajaja, now all I do is feel sorry for the bunnies and fear for mine, won't even think about having a jackalope :shock:

gnomeuser
January 4th, 2009, 12:14 AM
It's a fairly complicated process where in we force a bunch of monkeys to smoke crack after which each one is given a type writer. First name that remotely makes sense we pick.. the process is highly secretive and naturally patent pending.

arashiko28
January 4th, 2009, 05:03 AM
It's a fairly complicated process where in we force a bunch of monkeys to smoke crack after which each one is given a type writer. First name that remotely makes sense we pick.. the process is highly secretive and naturally patent pending.

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolf lag:

Luke has no name
January 4th, 2009, 06:59 AM
I thought 9.04 should have been "Jazzy Jay".