PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] How do you stop a process?

scotttie
January 2nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hi everyone,
I seemed to have inadvertently started a presentation wizard which is no longer responding, could you tell me how I close a program which doesn't respond please?
thanks
Scottie:confused:

bump_
January 2nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
Open up a terminal and type the following

ps -e

which will list all the processes. Along the left side you will see the Process ID (PID) associated with each process. Find the process you want to kill by name and see its associated PID. Then type

sudo kill -9 PutPidHere

and that should kill it.

Alternatively, once you find the name of the process, you could type

sudo killall -9 PutProcessNameHere

Hope it helps

mc4100
January 2nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
Hi everyone,
I seemed to have inadvertently started a presentation wizard which is no longer responding, could you tell me how I close a program which doesn't respond please?
thanks
Scottie:confused:

There is an applet you can add to the panel called, "force quit" -- if you click it, and then click the window which is unresponsive, it will terminate it.

An alternative way is to press Alt+F2, and type:

killall [and then the process name]

Shazaam
January 2nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
Another way is to open System>Administration>System Monitor>Processes, find the offending app and click the "End Process" button (bottom right).

caro
January 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Open the terminal and enter:

You will see all the processes running. Find the one you want to stop and enter:

k

K stands for kill. Enter the number of the process and hit enter.

Be careful not to kill the wrong process.

donkyhotay
January 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
There is a 'force quit' applet you can add onto the panel that works pretty good. But the most certain way (if that fails or if you don't have it on your panel) is to bring up a terminal prompt and use

ps -e
to find the PID of the rogue process then use kill to fully terminate. For example if the process I want to kill has PID of 5514 then I would do

kill 5514
Sometimes of course depending on the process you may need to use sudo to have permission to terminate the process and *very* rarely even this won't terminate at which point you would need to use th -9 option to force it permanently down (I've only had to do this once).

sudo kill -9 5514
but as I mentioned this is very rare and should only be used when all else fails.

scotttie
January 2nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
I have entered the ps -e and the affending program appears in the list approximatly 100 time! all with different numbers but the same program, any ideas please.
thanks

Copernicus1234
January 2nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
I have entered the ps -e and the affending program appears in the list approximatly 100 time! all with different numbers but the same program, any ideas please.
thanks

killall <programname> should do it. Did you try it?

bump_
January 2nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
What is this process?

You can kill them all using the killall command, but make sure it is the right process you are killing first.

killall ProcessName

if that fails

sudo killall ProcessName

and if that fails

sudo killall -9 ProcessName

scotttie
January 2nd, 2009, 10:56 PM
Hi all,
done now but it was a stubborn little blighter, had to do killall -9 three times before it would go, kept freezing on me, but OK now.
I may be back with another thread in a mo as the cause of this one may crop up again but it will need a new thread.
thanks all
Scottie:D:D