PDA

View Full Version : I love Linux

Curlydave
December 13th, 2005, 07:10 AM
I love Ubuntu Linux. The Breezy Badger has eliminated many of my issues/concerns with Hoary. Granted, I still use Windows 90% of the time, but would love to trash it entirely. It's just too much of a pain to reboot my computer before and after every computer game I play, and Linux is not cutting it for gaming for me for many reasons, despite the fact that I have several games that run natively on Linux. (Doom3, UT+mods, AA)

Honestly, there's not much that the Ubuntu team can do to fix these problems and get me to switch other than including a minimize function for fullscreen applications such as games, similar to alt-tab. The other issues are on the hands of game developers to use OpenGL instead of DirectX, and ATI to make better drivers that support AA/AF/Vsync/TB/good performance. Better positional audio support and EAX are important as well.

Rock on, Ubuntu and Linux. I wish I could use you more.:)

Goddess_of_Linux
December 13th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Yeah its pretty cool, I had tried Hoary back in July, a late comer to the linux world, especially since I love OS-X and Windows. I use windows about 80-95% of the time. My reason for still using windows is that my gaming system runs better on windows than any of my systems combined (mac OS-X tiger and Ubuntu/Fedora Linuxs'). I have big problems with graphics running stably under my system and because I didn't choice products that support linux on my system I have a hard time getting it to work.

Over all though ubuntu and kubuntu are nice. Especially the live cds, which I used back in July and August before I decided to try to install ubuntu and Fedora and the other distros (like gentoo and suse eval and mandriva). I'm a North Carolinian (live in North Carolina) so Fedora is my primary linux distro and as such I love it more than Ubuntu just because it is based out of Chapel Hill, NC...

PatrickMay16
December 13th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Myself, I barely use Windows any more. The last time I used windows was about 8 days ago, because I wanted to flash a ROM image to my GBA flash cartridge (which is something I barely ever do, since I don't use my GBA very much anyway. The last time I had done this before then was several months ago).
99% of the time, I use Ubuntu now.