PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Rdesktop "Start a Program" problem W2K8

weigh2tall
January 2nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
I've tried searching for a solution to this but haven't found anything relating to the specific issue I'm facing.

I can RDP fine into a Windows 2K8 box and a W2k3 SBS box. I'd like to have the login automatically launch a program installed on the computer. As a test I'm using notepad.

If I run these commands pointed at the 2k3 box they work well enough. If I point it at the 2k8 box it doesn't work. I get logged in but the desired app never launches. Below are the commands. Has anyone else seen this and found a way around it? I'm not sure if this would behave the same way in Vista.

On the Windows 2003 SBS box

rdesktop -s "C:\windows\notepad.exe" ComputerName -d DomainName -u UserName

For the Windows 2008 box (had to modify path as notepad's not in the same place

rdesktop -s "C:\windows\system32\notepad.exe" ComputerName:PortNum -d DomainName -u UserName

I am able to get the desired results from a Windows box and a OS X Leopard RDP client

DocForbin
January 3rd, 2009, 01:38 AM
Just a shot in the dark, but are you logging in as administrator? If not, have you tried that?

DocForbin
January 3rd, 2009, 01:44 AM
interesting, have a look here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ts/archive/2007/12/17/changes-to-remote-administration-in-windows-server-2008.aspx

search for "Start program on connection" does not work."

weigh2tall
January 3rd, 2009, 03:59 AM
I've tried logging in as several users, all of them have admin rights on the box. I haven't tried the local administrator account, but those I've used are members of the group which has local administrator rights.

I read most of the linked article. It seems that the one person wasn't getting where they wanted because they didn't have RemoteApp manager running. I do have it enabled, and the clients which connect from other OS's work, however they were both made by MS.

Thanks for the response. Any other thoughts?

weigh2tall
January 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I'm a moron the problem turned out to be that I was pointing the command at the wrong server. Apparently Windows Server 2008 requires that the RemoteApp manager roll be defined to enable the "Start a Program" feature. From what I can tell this doesn't seem to be the case with 2k3 (I could test 2K3 SBS, and 2k3 storage server)

Thanks for the help though...