PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Totem movie player - worst player ever

retskrad
January 2nd, 2009, 09:29 PM
Why is Totem already installed by default in Ubuntu? Why isnt VLC installed instead?

SuperSonic4
January 2nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
I believe VLC is a qt program which doesn't work as well with ubuntu's core libraries as a gtk app ,like totem

VLC should be default in kubuntu though ;)

mc4100
January 2nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
Why is Totem already installed by default in Ubuntu? Why isnt VLC installed instead?

Totem is part of GNOME, the desktop environment Ubuntu uses (and thus tries to stick to), so it integrates quite nicely. Also, I think, VLC comes bundled with proprietary codecs which make it illegal to distribute in some countries.

retskrad
January 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
For every movie you put into it, you must download a codec. It's not the same with VLC.

SuperSonic4
January 2nd, 2009, 09:40 PM
That would be because of the aforementioned prebundling of codecs in VLC which are illegal to give away

retskrad
January 2nd, 2009, 09:41 PM
That sucks man, why are they making such a big deal of this codec thing... they should be hapy that people use them.

LowSky
January 2nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
That sucks man, why are they making such a big deal of this codec thing... they should be hapy that people use them.

LOL lets put it this way. Lets say you made a new version of orange flavoring that tasted better then everyone elses, but you wanted to make money for your hard work and sell it to companies and others. Then some perons copies your recipe and starts giving it away for free. Wouldn't that annoy you for all your hard work to be just given away like that

retskrad
January 2nd, 2009, 09:48 PM
So did the vlc developers create the codecs inside vlc , or did they buy them

SuperSonic4
January 2nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
They probably reverse engineered them.

retskrad
January 2nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
Couldn't gnome come up with something better than totem? lol I bet no one uses it...

SuperSonic4
January 2nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
don't know and don't care lol. I get Dragon Player as default :p

jerome1232
January 2nd, 2009, 10:10 PM
Couldn't gnome come up with something better than totem? lol I bet no one uses it...

Works great for me... What's so wrong with it?

retskrad
January 2nd, 2009, 10:17 PM
You must download a codec everytime you open a new file format,... thats just not cool.

jerome1232
January 2nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
That's true of most media players... They require codecs.

If you enable the medibuntu repositories and pull in the codecs (w32codecs, or w64codecs, libdvdcss2, ubuntu-restricted-extras) you shouldn't have an issue with any mainstream media formats. I haven't ran into any problems. I really only play avi files though, or dvd's.

habtool
January 2nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras libdvdcss2

you should not need much more than that to get most codecs and others bits installed for media / java etc

Lesouteneur
January 3rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
I hate Totem because the progress bar never works well. When I drag it somewhere it moves to another spot, it's like it can never sync in with the length of a video. Totem-gstreamer also often crashes when reading a video saying something about the "source" of the video. Totem-xine does not have this problem, but it still has the progress bar thing wrong with it.