PDA

View Full Version : Getting C++ Set Up

insilicium
January 2nd, 2009, 09:29 PM
I'm trying to get set up with C++ for a class that starts this upcoming semester. I am running Hardy and followed the directions at https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/programming/C/build-essential.html and installed build-essential and anjuta. However, I can't seem to get hello world to work! If I compile using Anjuta, I'll get a .o file, but it won't run - it says ~/hello is not a local file. If I try to compile using the command g++ hello.cpp, it creates a new file called a.out and that's it. What am I missing or doing wrong?

Also, my apologies if this has already been asked - I searched the forum but didn't find anything quite the same.

aJayRoo
January 2nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
The a.out file created by g++ is your compiled program. You can run it by typing
./a.out in to the terminal after running the compile command. You can choose to name the program something else by using the -o switch at compile time:

g++ -o myprogram hello.cpp
Hope that helps.

stevescripts
January 2nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
As a bit of an addition to what aJayRoo posted - a suggestion especially for beginning ....

Start your c++ programming by using a simple editor (such as GEDIT), and learning to compile/build from the command line. Once you have a good feel for using c++ in that manner, *then* move on to the IDE of your choice.

Steve

slavik
January 2nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
Please read the stickies, they contain how tos on getting C and C++ compilers set up.

kavon89
January 3rd, 2009, 04:42 AM
Other than setting up a nice folder backup script for where all your code is, there isn't much to set up for C++ since you'd be using g++ to compile and something like gedit is fine for an editor.

slavik
January 3rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
Other than setting up a nice folder backup script for where all your code is, there isn't much to set up for C++ since you'd be using g++ to compile and something like gedit is fine for an editor.
or a versioning system ;)