PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Internet Problem



BeRReGoN
January 2nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
A couple of days ago i decided to try Xubuntu intrepid on my laptop and everything was working fine.

I Decided to install it on my mother computer instead of archlinux (She will not have to wait that i visit her to update it) but the internet is not working fine.

I have access to some sites or servers but a lot are unreachable. I can reach ubuntufr and his documentation but not their forum. I can't reach Ubuntu (I'm presently on arch).

On xubuntu, i've tried a lot of thing (wicd instead of network manager), tried Ubuntu live cd, reset the cable modem, changing the mtu, connecting without the network manager or wicd etc...

I've rinstalled archlinux and evrything was working again but when i've update dhcpcd i got the same problem, same thing with dhclient. I had to downgrade to an ealier version of dhcpcd.

I'm connected by cable directly to the modem, and no configuration is changed when i update dhcpcd so i don't see what i could do to fixe this.

Any clue on what to do to be able to use Xubuntu ? Find a older dhclient maybe?

Here some info on my system:
ifconfig:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1A:A0:1F:56:EC
inet addr:24.212.59.90 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:576 Metric:1
RX packets:38982 errors:11 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:11
TX packets:7610 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:6377406 (6.0 Mb) TX bytes:886817 (866.0 Kb)
Interrupt:19

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:280 (280.0 b) TX bytes:280 (280.0 b)


lspci:

04:07.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
04:09.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem

mpokrywka
January 3rd, 2009, 12:37 AM
I would advise you to return to working configuration, and when you are sure that networking works, run:
ifconfig
ip route
cat /etc/resolv.conf
to save correct settings.

You say that dhcp client seems to be the problem - dhcp can only affect IP address, default route, DNS settings.
Maybe newer version misconfigures some parameters. Run above commands when networking doesn't work and compare.

BeRReGoN
January 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Yes thanks i figured it out when i check the two resolv.conf

The problem was the nameserver and search/domain

On a working archlinux setup before the dhcpcd update i got this:

# Generated by dhcpcd for interface eth0
search cablevision.qc.ca
nameserver 24.212.0.8
nameserver 142.217.192.8

On the liveCd of Xubuntu:

# Generated by NetworkManager
domain tlb.sympatico.ca
search tlb.sympatico.ca
nameserver 142.217.192.9
nameserver 24.212.0.7
I had the same problem with wicd or manual dhclient calling but when i change the resolv.conf to the workking one everything was working fine.

superprash2003
January 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
mark thread as SOLVED under Thread Tools