PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Strange Screensaver Freeze

Cadeyrn
January 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
My computer freezes when I leave the screensaver on for about... a few hours. Every time.

But my problem is sometimes this is necessary, because sometimes I need to download or paste something overnight, and leaving it on all night without a screensaver results in more unfixable (even by that Java color-dancing thing) broken pixel transistors--I already have about 4500 (5 straight vertical lines) of 'em out of 1440x900.

labatj
January 2nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
A non-technical solution is to simply disable the screensaver and turn your monitor off.

ajgreeny
January 2nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
Or use the blank screensaver, but I agree in pwer management on the screensaver page just choose to Put display to sleep after x mins

Cadeyrn
January 3rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
Well, the thing is, I do want to be able to turn the monitor off like I did in Windows (before I realized it sucks!), but the put display to sleep option doesn't turn off the monitor--I can still see pixels lighting up black and I can still see hot pixels.

fsierra3
January 3rd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Cadeyrn:
I tested the option "put display to sleep after... ", and it actually turns off the LED back light. How does it work? It seems that the CPU stops sending signal to the monitor, since my monitor after a few seconds turns on for while to show a message that says "no signal" just like it does when I turn off my computer.
However the best option when you are going to let the computer idle for hours is to manually turn off the monitor

Cadeyrn
January 3rd, 2009, 08:02 AM
And how do I do that?

Cadeyrn
January 5th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Nevermind, it's letting me turn the monitor off now,