View Full Version : [ubuntu] Virtualbox: After Ubuntu 8.10 & Windows XP Installation

January 2nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
I would like to use Virtualbox on my current dualboot system, which has Ubuntu 8.10 and Windows XP already installed. Is there a way to do this without me having to reinstall Windows XP? Thanks!

January 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
Not quite sure exactly what you mean, but if you want to run windows as a virtual machine in a ubuntu host, you can do it quite easily, and similarly you can run ubuntu in a windows host, but either way you will need to start the virtualisation process by creating a virtual machine, ie "installing" windows/ubuntu in the virtual environment (Virtualbox). I don't think there is a way to run or port an existing install of windows in a virtualbox environment without doing this, though I could be wrong, and I believe there may be other virtualisation applications which can do it that way. Wait for more answers before you do anything drastic.

January 2nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
I think he means he wants to boot his physical Windows XP partition in VirtualBox, which is very possible.

Here is the guide --