PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Installed windows 7 now no Ubuntu

RedneckNerd
January 2nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Ok first off, I'm not leaving Linux. I like it too much.

That said i installed windows 7 on my xp partition.
Now I don't get OS choice on bootup.

Dell inspiron 1526

My Ubuntu partition is still there. It just dosen't boot to it.

Any ideas?

By the way, as far as windows goes this is the best release yet (not going to argue if that means anything or not) This is what Vista should have been. So far, the only drivers I've had to download are for video card. But there are three base system devices not recognized. Haven't noticed any problems though. The device manager is slow to open and did lock up once.

donkyhotay
January 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Windows has a tendency to remove grub, it's almost as if they don't want you to have other OS on your system. (c; Anyways if you just reinstall grub you should be good to go again.

markharm2009
January 2nd, 2009, 08:34 PM

Dell inspiron 1526

Any ideas?

By the way, as far as windows goes this is the best release yet (not going to argue if that means anything or not) This is what Vista should have been. So far, the only drivers I've had to download are for video card. But there are three base system devices not recognized. Haven't noticed any problems though. The device manager is slow to open and did lock up once.
Check Here to install grub (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351)

markharm2009
January 2nd, 2009, 08:35 PM

Dell inspiron 1526

Any ideas?

Click Here to find out how to install grub from livecd (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351)

RedneckNerd
January 2nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the answers.
I figured it was something simple and wanted to ask before i did a re-instal.

Anbog
January 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM
So RedneckNerd - did it you try it out and did you get GRUB to work with Win7?

I'm thinking about doing this myself, but would of cause like to know about potential trouble ahead! :)

hyperdude111
January 10th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Grub works with w7 i am using it now. Windows 7 uses the vista bootloader. But it is not automatically recognised so u need to restore grub and edit it manually.

RedneckNerd
January 11th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I'm using the linux boot up. It gives the 4 ubuntu choices and windows xp pro under the "other os" choices.

I had win xp pro installed previously