PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Possible Error GUI Abstraction

gerddman
January 2nd, 2009, 07:37 PM
Hi there I'm fairly new to Linux and I seem to have stumbled upon to something quite odd. Excuse me if this is a simple fix, but as far as I have looked there are no solutions. I'm sure to an advanced user this is no big deal, but for the moment I am a tad stuck. If you will notice the top and bottom right corners the icons have "switched places"; the trashcan and the alternate windows segments and the power, time, and volume icons with the wireless and battery icons.

I had my laptop suspend for a few minutes came back to it and an error had occured, so I restarted the OS and I was greeted with my new environment. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p185/gerddman/pleasehelp.png

ajgreeny
January 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM
The panel icons can be moved easily enough by right clicking on them and choosing Move. You may need to unlock them first to do this, which again is a right click option. There are a few things like Window list and Notification area which need a right click in the small space just to the left of the total area, (you'll understand what I mean when you do it) rather than within the panel applet itself. As to why the things have moved, I have no idea.

stderr
January 2nd, 2009, 11:45 PM
You should also be able to move items on the panels (when they're unlocked with right click -> untick "lock to panel") by holding down the middle mouse button and dragging, or holding down left + right mouse buttons and dragging.

As ajgreeny implies, I reckon the mysterious automatic re-placement is probably a case for Holmes ;)