PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Have Ubuntu 5.1 now how do i install 8.1

eatdrums
January 2nd, 2009, 06:00 PM
using a 2002 gateway.

does anyone recommend sticking with 5.1?

do I have to extract files to start the install?...

taurus
January 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
Save your important files and do a fresh install of the latest release or at least the 8.04.1 (hardy) version.

handydan918
January 2nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
using a 2002 gateway.

does anyone recommend sticking with 5.1?Not me! I would recommend using 8.04 as it is a LTS release.

do I have to extract files to start the install?...
Not sure what yo mean here. Can you clarify?

ptn107
January 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Back up everything that would be irreplaceable, just in case the install goes awry. Then just download an Ubuntu 8.10 CD image: 32-bit version (http://releases.ubuntu.com/intrepid/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso), 64-bit version (http://releases.ubuntu.com/intrepid/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64.iso). Burn it to a CD, pop it in, and restart your computer. Select 'Install Ubuntu' when the menu comes up and away you go.

egalvan
January 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
using a 2002 gateway.

does anyone recommend sticking with 5.1?

That is a six-year-old machine, so...

how much RAM?

what size hard drive?

are you willing to spend some money adding RAM, if needed?

Trying to run 8.x will require at least 256M, and 512 to give good response.

You should plan on 10G for the hard drive.

Puppy may be a better fit.

ErnestG

Flimm
January 2nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Just so you know, it's 5.10 and 8.10 , not 5.1 and 8.1 . The first number stands for the year and the second for the month.
If you want to update to 8.10 the 'official' way, you're going to have to upgrade to 6.06, then to 8.04, then to 8.10. Normally, you can only upgrade Ubuntu from one version to the next, but 6.06 to 8.04 is an exception because they're both LTS releases.
So my advice is backup your data and just reinstall Ubuntu on your partition. It'll be a lot quicker.

LowSky
January 2nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
a desktop from 2002 should be able to run the newest Ubuntu just fine. hell my 2001 Dell Laptop runs Xubuntu 8.04, and back then there was a good disparity between speed of laptops to desktops.

egalvan
January 2nd, 2009, 09:40 PM
a desktop from 2002 should be able to run the newest Ubuntu just fine.

Well, what's fine for you may be too slow for others...:)

my 2001 my Dell Laptop runs Xubuntu 8.04, and back then there was a good disparity between speed of laptops to desktops.

I agree, partially...see my comment above...

But I never asked about CPU speed...
I think it's rather irrelevant..

You can have the fastest CPU on the market today (3.8GHz??), but if you only have 64M RAM, then you are NOT able to run Ubuntu, or Xubuntu for that matter...

conversely, a 400MHz CPU with 512M RAM will run Ubuntu... nothing fancy, but will run. I have done it.
I have since given the machine to a student. She uses it for web-based nursing research, and is quite happy with it.

And in the past, laptops were notoriously low on RAM...most buyers spec'd the minimum RAM and hard drive to save on the co$t...

So my questions stand...how much RAM & HD?
I consider those the REAL resources needed.

ErnestG