PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Java instllation fails

sp_key
January 2nd, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hi all,

First, happy new year to all of you!

I have just installed Ubuntu on my old laptop for the first time. I am a complete beginner with linux.

I have tried unsuccessfully to install Java in order to play online chess at yahoo.

At my first attempt, I managed to unpack a bin file downloaded from Sun Java at my Desktop. I Run the executable from my Terminal and it all looked like it was installed properly. (Agreed to Licence and so on) but still Yahoo games fail to load due to lack of Java. Now I cannot delete the folder I unpacked as I have no right permissions.

At my second attempt I tried to install Java by running following command: sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-jre at my Terminal. Again, all looked ok until I try to load games from yahoo.

Third attempt was by adding Java through the Add/Remove option. This time I get this error: E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Obviously this means nothing to me :)

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

taurus
January 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
Just run

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get update

Moop
January 2nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Run the command it suggests with a sudo in front of it.

sudo dpkg --configure -aHave you installed the ubuntu restricted extras package? I believe it includes java.

sp_key
January 2nd, 2009, 10:13 PM
Hi,

thanks for your quick response. I've tried both suggestion codes and even though they run fine on Terminal, Java is still not installed properly as Yahoo games still refuse to work on my Firefox.

Furthermore, the unpacked folder on my Desktop (from first attempt) still cannot be deleted due to permissions restrictions.

Any ideas how to undue all this mess and install Java properly?

Thanks.

bump_
January 2nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
To get rid of the folder on your desktop, open the Terminal and type

cd ~/Desktop
gksu nautilus .

This will open a root nautilus window at the Desktop. Just delete the folders there.

As for you java problem, what does

echo $JAVA_HOME

output?

sp_key
January 3rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
To get rid of the folder on your desktop, open the Terminal and type

cd ~/Desktop
gksu nautilus .

This will open a root nautilus window at the Desktop. Just delete the folders there.

It does indeed open a root nautilus windows (what is nautilus?) but once I double click on the Desktop icon from the root folder, it appears blank (i.e there is no such folder in there).

As for you java problem, what does

echo $JAVA_HOME

output?

It outputs nothing. Just a blank line.

BTW, it's only my second day with Ubuntu and I have already managed to resurrect an old laptop (did not work with XP) however, I get the impression that commands don't make any "logical" (i.e. human) sense.

Thanks for your time

linux_tech
January 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
to complete the java install, you need to press tab key to select text and then enter key to enter that selection and move to next selection where you repeat the same again.

Try to run install again so it completes, then you should have java installed.

linux_tech
January 3rd, 2009, 12:43 PM
In terminal type the following:

sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-bin

Tom--d
January 3rd, 2009, 12:57 PM
You need to install the Java Web plugin in Add/Remove to have Java in Firefox.

sp_key
January 3rd, 2009, 01:36 PM
to complete the java install, you need to press tab key to select text and then enter key to enter that selection and move to next selection where you repeat the same again.

Try to run install again so it completes, then you should have java installed.

Sorry, could you please elaborate? Press Tab key where? What text to select and what selection you're talking about?

Once I enter
sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-bin I watch the Terminal doing it's own stuff. Installation ends with the below:

Setting up sun-java6-plugin (6-10-0ubuntu2) ...

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initialising package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done

Then
echo $JAVA_HOME
and I get a blank line.

So to summarize:

I need to delete a folder of my Dekstop that "I don't have the right permissions" and install Java. Is this possible?

btw Tom--d, the answer to this is at my original post.

Thanks!