PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu demo event

TDewin
January 2nd, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right forum so I don't mind if it gets moved...

In a month our company will give an introduction to ubuntu for a bunch of IT administrators who are mostly using Windows server 2003. We are teaching them how easy it is to install a working ubuntu system with a LAMP stack.

For this demo we tried to order 100 cd so that we can give them to participants. However we don't seem to be able to proceed in the wizard. Mailing to info@shipit.ubuntu.com didn't yield any success either.

Is there a way we can be sure that these CD are send to us in time (the demo is given february)?

Thanks In Advance,
Timothy

armandh
January 2nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
pay the neighborhood kids a few $/hr to burn them
relying on the slow boat from Timbuktu is dicey

hatten
January 2nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
search your surroundings for geeks that may have, or burn your own.

solwic
January 2nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right forum so I don't mind if it gets moved...

In a month our company will give an introduction to ubuntu for a bunch of IT administrators who are mostly using Windows server 2003. We are teaching them how easy it is to install a working ubuntu system with a LAMP stack.

For this demo we tried to order 100 cd so that we can give them to participants. However we don't seem to be able to proceed in the wizard. Mailing to info@shipit.ubuntu.com didn't yield any success either.

Is there a way we can be sure that these CD are send to us in time (the demo is given february)?

Thanks In Advance,
Timothy

As everyone else has said, burning is probably your best option. I ordered a CD and, while it arrived very speedily, it didn't work. I ended up burning my own.

Good luck.

waspbr
January 2nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hey there,

I guess the solution for this problem depends on the kind of presentation you want the CDs to have. If you want them to come nicely packed in CD sleve/boxes then you can order in bulk at the canonical store.

http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=17&osCsid=869a2700a3426d0b99e0127318254b9f

I am not sure where you are talking from, so I am assuming the US, the link above is for the canonical american shop, if you are not in the US you may wanna check out this link instead

http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=17

they do sell in bulk, still all this CD are going to cost less than a single Windows license, but they will look proper.

The cheaper alternative would be to get a slav... I mean an intern to burn them for you, if you opt to do this, instruct your intern to check for defects after each burn, I would recommend you buy about 150 blank CDs then depeding on how reliable your burner is. (There's always the neighbour's kid too...).

Though If I was hosting an event I would probably order them. One month should be plenty of time for an order, but if I were you I would probably call them up just to be on the safe side

GL

Tamlynmac
January 3rd, 2009, 12:14 AM
waspbr Re: Ubuntu demo event
Hey there,

I guess the solution for this problem depends on the kind of presentation you want the CDs to have. If you want them to come nicely packed in CD sleve/boxes then you can order in bulk at the canonical store.

http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?...e0127318254b9f (http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=17&osCsid=869a2700a3426d0b99e0127318254b9f)

I am not sure where you are talking from, so I am assuming the US, the link above is for the canonical american shop, if you are not in the US you may wanna check out this link instead

http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=17

they do sell in bulk, still all this CD are going to cos less than a single Windows license, but they will look proper.

The cheaper alternative would be to get a slav... I mean intern to burn them for you, if you opt to do this, instruct your intern to check for defects after each burn, I would recommend you buys about 150 blank CDs then depeding on how reliable your burner is. (There's always the neighbour's kid too...).

Though If I was hosting an event I would probably order them. One month should be plenty of time for an order, but if I were you I would probably call them to check just to be on the safe side

GL

One thing I've found very successful is to slow the burn. When burning Ubuntu OS CD's slower is better. I usually burn at no faster than 12x and have improved my success rate to above 98%. Not including defective CDs of course. It may require more time but the results are a significant improvement towards assuring a successful install. Assuming the original downloaded file was not faulty or corrupted.

solwic
January 3rd, 2009, 02:54 AM
One thing I've found very successful is to slow the burn. When burning Ubuntu OS CD's slower is better. I usually burn at no faster than 12x and have improved my success rate to above 98%. Not including defective CDs of course. It may require more time but the results are a significant improvement towards assuring a successful install. Assuming the original downloaded file was not faulty or corrupted.

+1. I burn at 2x, because that's the slowest my burner will go. I almost (almost) never have problems with a burn now. I've even been using the same CD-RW since 7.10, reburning both 8.04 and 8.10 in Ubuntu and Kubuntu versions.

Works like a charm. :)

armandh
January 3rd, 2009, 06:17 AM
I buy good burners and run at fastest possible speed
they last about 2 years. memorex brand is my first choice
about 3 minutes on a full audio cd copy

Sef
January 3rd, 2009, 01:39 PM
Moved to Absolute Beginners.

TDewin
January 4th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Ok thanks all for your response. I guess burning will be our best option!