PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu to the rescue!!

ade234uk
January 2nd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Girlfriend turned on her laptop, and her XP installation was screwed. At this point she panicked as there was a good 10GB of documents and work stuff that could be lost.

No fear I said. I popped in the Ubuntu Disk Live CD and it located the Windows Partition. I located her My Documents folder and dragged and dropped all her files to the network drive.

At the end of the process, she said I might give that Ubuntu a go sometime.

Sealbhach
January 2nd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Nice one!:D

MikeTheC
January 2nd, 2009, 08:49 AM
You sayin' Ubuntu might get lucky here?

I had no idea, being a guy and all, that Tux was sexy. :o :D

PryGuy
January 2nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Women love supermen! ;) And you've made it, buddy!
Yeah, being a system administrator I noticed that's the best way to advertise Ubuntu. Windows crashes (it always does sooner or later), people never backup, and they are almost in neurotic coma when I come. Ubuntu LiveCD solves it all! Guaranteed!

Swagman
January 2nd, 2009, 12:19 PM
I did the same thing for my Boss a fortnight ago.

He had installed an new Mobo bundle and it was leaving him at the XP safe options screen. (sometimes you can get away with that... other times not) He rang me up saying he doesn't know what to do and can I help him as he has a shedload of workstuff on there he musn't lose.

I went round armed with an ubuntu disk and a 16gb usb stick.
First thing I did was boot the ubuntu disk and congratulated him on doing a successful build. Then clicked on firefox just to show him it online with no buggering around (wired connection).

His reaction was "What that?" (ubuntu desktop)
I then went into places and accessed his drives and dragged over relevant stuff.

He said "but you didn't put my password in!!"
I said "Exactly - wink!!"

Now that I had his data safe I stuck the xp disk in and went for repair... He had to ring Microsoft up for reactivation but success was the order of the day.

He then asked general stuff about Ubuntu and how much it costs.
He looked the picture of perplexability (is that a real word?) when I told him its free !!

"But how do they make any money if it's free?" (He's a company boss.. They think like that)

I said IT support...if its needed and left it at that.

ithanium
January 2nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
happy ending :) ubuntu saved the day