PDA

View Full Version : Working on a Star Trek Browser-Based MMOSG

CaptainNet
January 2nd, 2009, 06:16 AM
Hello all,

I thought I would kick the year off right by installing ubunutu 8.10 Intrepid on my computer.

I did this partially because I was looking for a change and partially because I needed to avoid distraction.

Which brings me to the point ...

I am currently the sole-developer of an Unofficial Fan-Created Browser-Based Massively Multiplayer Online Social Game in the Star Trek Genre.

It will be like a 4X game but with some interesting twists.

One of my design goals is to have it be as Ubuntu Friendly as possible.

Now I know what you are thinking, "How do you make an ubuntu friendly browser-based game?"

Well by not doing things such as including flash and other items which would be not AS friendly to novice Ubuntu users.

I am going to first design the game on my computer till it reaches an alpha state of development, then I will upload it to my remote server, where the game will be able to be played.

I could always use help with projects of the magnitude I am proposing, so if anyone is interested, just post a reply to this thread.

I will keep you all posted as to my progress.

~Joel

Grant A.
January 2nd, 2009, 06:19 AM
You won't be able to do it because Star Trek is copyrighted, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Sorry.

CaptainNet
January 2nd, 2009, 06:26 AM
I know I know;)

Normally they leave fan-games alone. But maybe you are right. I shall endeavour to continue on but not use Trek as the Genre, it will mean more work, but hey, who said Rome was built overnight?

consider THIS thread closed; I will start another when I get preparations made for the new domain name.

Thank you,

~Joel

TransitMan
January 2nd, 2009, 07:04 AM
If that is the case, then why are there so many FAN BASED webisodes running in the Star Trek universe?

Case in point, Star Trek: Phase II clearly states that "NO PROFIT" shall be made from any of their works, and if anyone should find their works being sold to notify them promptly.
CBS/Paramount is fully aware of fan-based activity, and so long as no one makes money off of it, they usually leave it alone.

**NOTE: The above does not give carte blanche on fan-based series that are not Trek related. This is used for a point of reference only.

eragon100
January 2nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
If that is the case, then why are there so many FAN BASED webisodes running in the Star Trek universe?

Case in point, Star Trek: Phase II clearly states that "NO PROFIT" shall be made from any of their works, and if anyone should find their works being sold to notify them promptly.
CBS/Paramount is fully aware of fan-based activity, and so long as no one makes money off of it, they usually leave it alone.

**NOTE: The above does not give carte blanche on fan-based series that are not Trek related. This is used for a point of reference only.

Star trek phase 2 used original scripts that would originally be used for star trek TOS for the last episode. In the previous episode, one of the original actors played. They have full permission to make the series, as does hidden frontier and their spinoffs.

There are a lot of star trek fan made games, you can make them safely, because Paramount allows it. There is no reason you should stop making a star trek MMORPG because of copyright issues :wink:

CaptainNet
January 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hello,

I have had time to think about it, and I was looking to take the easier way where game art would be less of a problem by having it be a Star Trek genre based game.

I feel however, with all truthfullness, that I am not doing anything better and have time to wait; therefore in the spirit of true open source, I am starting a new project called Nexxux which is a space empire browser based MMOSG.

Here is the new thread where I will be posting my updates: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1028150

I hope that I can get some people excited about the project as I can use all the help I can get.

The url to the wiki where all of the development will occur can be found in the link to the thread above.

Thank you for helping me to really think about this,

~Joel

Joeb454
January 2nd, 2009, 05:03 PM
Here is the new thread where I will be posting my updates: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1028150

I hope that I can get some people excited about the project as I can use all the help I can get.

The url to the wiki where all of the development will occur can be found in the link to the thread above.

Thank you for helping me to really think about this,

~Joel

With that, I think it's safe to close this thread :) It should help to keep further updates in the single thread.

I wish you well with this, it is no doubt a hard task, I may have a look in on it from time to time. And if you would like this thread re-opened, just PM me :)