PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] rt kernel and nvidia 177.80

kvk
January 2nd, 2009, 05:52 AM
When attempting to install the rt kernel from the current Ibex repository, I encounter the following and can't get past it:

Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms
* Running DKMS auto installation service for kernel 2.6.27-3-rt
* nvidia (177.80)... nvidia (177.80): Installing module.
Kernel source for 2.6.27-3-rt not installed. Cannot install this module.
[fail]

run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common

Setting up linux-image-rt (2.6.27.3.4) ...

After running the installation, the machine requires a restart but is still running the generic kernel, according to the system information.

Any ideas on this one?

Thank you!

kvk
January 6th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I also tried installing the rt kernel with the Nvidia 173 driver with the same result.

Is this because these drivers are proprietary? And if so, is there any workaround?

Steve H
January 29th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I'm having the same problem. I can't install the 177 drivers either.

I have to run to get a usable desktop

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
startx

I'm also running the generic kernel which uses the 177 driver perfectly.

Someone mentioned about having to uninstall the drivers in both and then reinstalling them again to get it working, but that seems a bit extreme to me!!

markbuntu
January 29th, 2009, 10:52 PM
The rt kernel is broken, don't use it.

Steve H
February 11th, 2009, 12:12 PM
That's not really very helpful though, I need the rt-kernel for audio recording (with minimal latency).

TBF I don't really need glx running to use the desktop, but it would be nice.

kvk
February 15th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I managed to solve the issue by removing the Nvidia driver, installing the RT kernerl, and then reloading the newer Nvidia driver. I've no problems with either of them, and the RT kernel works fine with JACK and 16 or 32 frames per period, no Xruns at all.

Steve H
February 22nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
I'll definitely give that a go then.

Thanks

;)

Steve H
March 6th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Still no joy :(

I've deactivated the nvidia drivers, reinstalled ubuntu-studio, then reboot. boot into either kernel activate nvidia (both are working at this stage!) then once either loads the nvidia driver then when i reboot into the rt-kernel the nvidia module complains about not loading. The X Server fails saying "no screens found". I've tried this about four times now.

This is annoying as I need the nvidia driver in the vanilla kernel to watch stuff from my pc to my TV, but I need the rt-kernel for audio recording with low latency. Seems I can't have both....shame!?!

I'll keep looking...

:(

raygj
March 7th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I managed to solve the issue by removing the Nvidia driver, installing the RT kernerl, and then reloading the newer Nvidia driver. I've no problems with either of them, and the RT kernel works fine with JACK and 16 or 32 frames per period, no Xruns at all.
notice that Steve H said "to solve the issue by removing the Nvidia driver(uninstalled it),installing the RT kernerl, and then reloading(installed/reinstalled ????) the newer Nvidia driver."(
whereas you just "deactiveated nvidia/installed rt/reactivated nvidia".maybe thats why it worked for Steve H and it did not work for you?
PS. Just a Thought:- you DID boot up into the 'running RT kernel' and then "installed" the "nvidia" whilst you were running/using the "RT kernel"?????

Steve H
March 8th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I've got mine all sorted now. Uninstalled the Nvidia driver, reinstalled rt-kernel and ubuntu studio. Booted back in to vanilla kernal, reinstalled the nvidia drivers. Rebooted into rt-kernel recovery mode, choose fix x server, and now it all works in both kernels. FINALLY!!

:D