PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB startup disk

linnuxnub
January 2nd, 2009, 05:22 AM
I am using the default program in 8.10 for creating a USB startup disk and I was wondering if there was a way to not only use the USB as a startup disk but also as a storage device that can be read without booting from it on Windows or Linux. I have tried making a folder on the disk but it just makes the USB unable to boot.

Also, when I have booted from the USB and look through my home folder it says I only have 1.5g of free space when I set persistence to 30g on my 32g flash drive. But when I check the USB drive when booted from my hard drive it says I have 26g free. Why is there so little space?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated,
Thanx in advance.

filsmyth
January 2nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Sort of like linnuxnub, I would like to be able to boot Ubuntu Studio 8.10 (alternate 386) from my flash drive (which is only a $12, 4Gb device, not that it should matter).

I suppose what I need to do is burn the iso file onto a disc as an image, then install to the flash drive. Is it that simple?

Is there not some way I can install directly to the flash drive, either from the WinRAR archive or from the files already extracted from that (already on the flash drive)?

Do I need to rename the WinRAR file as a .iso (used Chrome for d/l...)?

Had a triple-boot on a previous system, Win2000 Server + MEPIS + Ubuntu -- I do have some experience...

Is there an Ubuntu Studio distro specifically designed for flash drives? If not, are there plans for one?

I know, I know, I've got a lot of questions. Seems to me that the ability to boot from a flash drive is something that should have been tackled by now...?

filsmyth
January 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Not asking anything new, I realize. Can search for the answers myself, but would appreciate a reply.

jxvar6s
January 3rd, 2009, 07:24 AM
Sort of like linnuxnub, I would like to be able to boot Ubuntu Studio 8.10 (alternate 386) from my flash drive (which is only a $12, 4Gb device, not that it should matter).

I suppose what I need to do is burn the iso file onto a disc as an image, then install to the flash drive. Is it that simple?

Is there not some way I can install directly to the flash drive, either from the WinRAR archive or from the files already extracted from that (already on the flash drive)?

Do I need to rename the WinRAR file as a .iso (used Chrome for d/l...)?

Had a triple-boot on a previous system, Win2000 Server + MEPIS + Ubuntu -- I do have some experience...

Is there an Ubuntu Studio distro specifically designed for flash drives? If not, are there plans for one?

I know, I know, I've got a lot of questions. Seems to me that the ability to boot from a flash drive is something that should have been tackled by now...?

no u dont need to renamed it
burn in that format with infrarecorder
this is the software https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto