PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with display........

kwboom
January 2nd, 2009, 02:29 AM
HI there I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 and everything was just fine untill I installed the nvidia drivers and now my screen looks fuzzy and I can't even get my resolution right. I need to set it to 1366 x 768 for my screen and I can't do that if I run the drivers said to run my card. I really like to have the compiz and other effects going but my screen really looks bad if I enable the drivers. What am I doing wrong??????????????

redneckProgrammer
January 2nd, 2009, 05:06 PM
I too have had issues with the nvidia restricted drivers. Some video cards seem to required a custom driver or install process. I would suggest using the restricted drivers manager to deactivate those drivers. Then search the forum with your video card model (i.e. 8800gt drivers).

Or another possible solution.... I had an nvidia 6200 on one pc. The version 177 drivers (that showed up in the driver manager) caused me similar issues, so I tried the version 173 drivers (that also showed up in the driver manager) and they worked.

gettinoriginal
January 2nd, 2009, 07:46 PM
This is an excellet tool for checking you system capabilities for compiz:
http://forlong.blogage.de/entries/pages/Compiz-Check

And this one answers alot of questions:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=809695

kwboom
January 4th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Thankyou for your answers, I guess I have a search on my hands.....:popcorn:

kwboom
January 4th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Well I installed the restricted driver that it told me to use and I got my screen working at 1280x800 at 60 Hz, not looking too bad but a bit on the fuzzy side. The only problem now is that it will not let me save the settings in the Configuration file. I get this message.......

Unable to create new X config backup file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'.

What do I have to do to have thies settings load when I start up????????

kwboom
January 4th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Well I figured out how to save the config file. You must first run the nvidia-settings from the terminal as root, than it will save. I still have the problem with the screen being a bit fuzzy. It is just fine before I installed the drivers but after it is a bit fuzzy.:confused:

kwboom
January 4th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Ok I think I have the resolution set to the best I can but when I restart my computer it will default back to something else and I have to change it everytime I load Ubuntu.

How do I set my current display as default?????