PDA

View Full Version : bicycles

jeffc313
January 2nd, 2009, 01:09 AM
how many of you regularly ride/commute on/enjoy bicycles?
I ride a 2008 schwinn madison.
let's see your ride!

GCG199
January 2nd, 2009, 01:18 AM
I am mainly an urban/utility cyclist. I am also involved with bike/pedestrian/rail trail efforts where I live.

I don't have pictures of my 29er mountain bike available at this time. It is a Redline Monocog single speed.

sn0m
January 2nd, 2009, 01:35 AM
I think I am a bit controversial but I hate bikes!:(
My work is only 2 miles away but I drive to work, however as a doctor I do antisocial shifts, so cycling home at 2 am is not fun.
I particularly dislike what a bicycle saddle, especially those from city or sports bikes, does to any one's pudendal nerve and I do worry about you cyclist out there. For those who do not now, pudendal nerve runs along your pelvic floor(where body makes contact with saddle) and innervates your genitalia. So everytime you go over a little bump, it gets a small trauma.
I'm not quite sure whether it is related to sexual impotence later on in life, (haven't come across of any article/study about it), however man I can tell you that my wonderful and meaningful sacks in my groins have never been as happy as the day that I gave up cycling for good.
I do go running 5 miles three times a week though.
Therefore I hope I have rung a little bell and not scared linux cyclers off their bikes with my thoughts.
Regards
Sokol

jeffc313
January 2nd, 2009, 02:09 AM
I think I am a bit controversial but I hate bikes!:(
My work is only 2 miles away but I drive to work, however as a doctor I do antisocial shifts, so cycling home at 2 am is not fun.
I particularly dislike what a bicycle saddle, especially those from city or sports bikes, does to any one's pudendal nerve and I do worry about you cyclist out there. For those who do not now, pudendal nerve runs along your pelvic floor(where body makes contact with saddle) and innervates your genitalia. So everytime you go over a little bump, it gets a small trauma.
I'm not quite sure whether it is related to sexual impotence later on in life, (haven't come across of any article/study about it), however man I can tell you that my wonderful and meaningful sacks in my groins have never been as happy as the day that I gave up cycling for good.
I do go running 5 miles three times a week though.
Therefore I hope I have rung a little bell and not scared linux cyclers off their bikes with my thoughts.
Regards
Sokol
I do appreciate the pressure that a lot of saddles put on that area. I got my new saddle for that very reason, to provide less pressure. Many new saddles have a cut-out to prevent this "small trauma"
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=S2019
something like that, if you ever want to get back into cycling!:D

logos34
January 2nd, 2009, 02:18 AM
I've been dreaming about building a custom steel touring-road sport hybrid...I've decided on almost every component (ideally I'd like Campy Veloce 9-speed, but rim/spoke/brake considerations would probably necessitate Shimano).

Soma Doublecross Cro-mo steel frame (with rear disc brake for those long downhills and rainy days), carbon fiber fork, road bike drop bars, etc. In fact, it would look ALMOST EXACTLY like this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2279/2359049438_b89ac44336_o.jpg

Normally I would never have even thought about DIY, but practically all the bikes out these days are aluminum (blah!). Nice and light, but stiff ride. I want a better ride, to soak up vibrations, and a frame that can be fixed if it cracks...'Steel is real' as the saying goes...I'd consider titanium, but that's $1500 just for a frame!

I'd really love a bike, but all I can do is fantasize because I don't have the two grand necessary for all the parts.

I hate the car culture and everything it represents. I wish I could go back in time and instead buy bikes instead of the cars I did! What a waste of money.

I find it hard to believe that you still can barely find bike lanes in most major U.S. cities--this, decades since we've known were in an energy and environmental crisis. Public trans is a joke most everywhere besides Europe and Japan

The bike truly is the noblest invention. Clean, quiet, good excercise, a fraction of the ownership costs of a car.

jeffc313
January 2nd, 2009, 02:49 AM
I've been dreaming about building a custom steel touring-road sport hybrid...I've decided on almost every component (ideally I'd like Campy Veloce 9-speed, but rim/spoke/brake considerations would probably necessitate Shimano).

Soma Doublecross Cro-mo steel frame (with rear disc brake for those long downhills and rainy days), carbon fiber fork, road bike drop bars, etc. In fact, it would look ALMOST EXACTLY like this:

Normally I would never have even thought about DIY, but practically all the bikes out these days are aluminum (blah!). Nice and light, but stiff ride. I want a better ride, to soak up vibrations, and a frame that can be fixed if it cracks...'Steel is real' as the saying goes...I'd consider titanium, but that's $1500 just for a frame!

I'd really love a bike, but all I can do is fantasize because I don't have the two grand necessary for all the parts.

I hate the car culture and everything it represents. I wish I could go back in time and instead buy bikes instead of the cars I did! What a waste of money.

I find it hard to believe that you still can barely find bike lanes in most major U.S. cities--this, decades since we've known were in an energy and environmental crisis. Public trans is a joke most everywhere besides Europe and Japan

The bike truly is the noblest invention. Clean, quiet, good excercise, a fraction of the ownership costs of a car.
That is a hot bike. good luck getting it.
you dont have a bike now though? Pick up a decent vintage one, I've also got a 77 or 78 peugeot that I ride sometimes (cost me $30), my madison is so much more fun though.

Giant Speck
January 2nd, 2009, 02:54 AM
I own a Trek 3900.

I'm waiting for it to be shipped up here to Alaska from Texas. I want to see how it rides with studded ice tires.

oldsoundguy
January 2nd, 2009, 03:03 AM
I live in the hills!! LOL and there are many other towns that have way too many hills to commute via bicycle.
Then there is the fact I have had multiple lumbar surgery .. that ends that. Yet alone my age.

Primary gripe .. thousands and thousands of dollars spent in my community for bike paths everywhere .. some on or near the road, some not.
And you get some idiot dressed in his Lance Armstrong costume with his "bike paths don't apply to me" attitude when the path is two lanes and a sidewalk over from the auto lane the guy is holding up on the street! And the path is CLEARLY marked!

Giant Speck
January 2nd, 2009, 03:10 AM
I live in the hills!! LOL and there are many other towns that have way too many hills to commute via bicycle.
Then there is the fact I have had multiple lumbar surgery .. that ends that. Yet alone my age.

Primary gripe .. thousands and thousands of dollars spent in my community for bike paths everywhere .. some on or near the road, some not.
And you get some idiot dressed in his Lance Armstrong costume with his "bike paths don't apply to me" attitude when the path is two lanes and a sidewalk over from the auto lane the guy is holding up on the street! And the path is CLEARLY marked!

Well I was about to disagree with you until you indicated the guy was riding for sport and not for utility.

If I am using my bicycle for transportation (8 times out of 10, I do), I use the roads. Bike trails are nice, but can sometimes become overcongested. Also, however sophisticated a city's bike trail system may be, bike trails still do not reach all areas necessary for bike riders trying to get to the store, work, or school.

MikeTheC
January 2nd, 2009, 03:18 AM
Trek 7200 here...

http://www.bretton.cz/uimg/trek_7200.jpg

I don't ride it nearly often enough, tho... But I really love that bike.

logos34
January 2nd, 2009, 03:24 AM
good luck getting it.

lol i'll need it

you dont have a bike now though? Pick up a decent vintage one, I've also got a 77 or 78 peugeot that I ride sometimes (cost me $30), my madison is so much more fun though.

no, not now. But yeah, that's my second daydream--either finding a steal somewhere (or in my case maybe I'll have to resort to stealing a find), or else scrounging used parts for a build...kind of like I did for my computer! (I exaggerate: it has only a few used parts--but I did bargain hunt for all the new parts)

Dr Small
January 2nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
Here's a picture of what mine looks like:
http://www.centercycle.com/images/largehardrock.jpg

Only, mine is green, and my sister's is black. Replaced the front gears for a new set with gear guards (I kept ripping my pants) and have had new gears replaced in the back already (need it again, though). I want to buy a single speed bike for travel, though. Multi-gears seems to wear and tear faster than a single speed.

Alpinist
January 2nd, 2009, 04:28 AM
For commuting I ride an Ezee Torq electric bicycle. Even though I have a decent diamondback road bike, at 8 miles each way I just couldn't get myself to commute with it regularly and the electric makes it easy enough to ride daily but still enough exercise to be a good work out.

Unfortunately two weeks ago I was riding in the snow and thinking how great the traction was in the snow and then on a hill I hit a section of pure ice and went down hard. Broke my hip, had surgery to put in some pins, and I'll be off my bike for another month.

logos34
January 2nd, 2009, 04:42 AM
thinking how great the traction was in the snow and then on a hill I hit a section of pure ice and went down hard. Broke my hip, had surgery to put in some pins, and I'll be off my bike for another month.

ouch, that's a serious spill...I'm so sorry for you. That's the one thing I dread: one careless mistake and my riding days could come to abrupt end (if they should ever begin!)...Then medical bill$$$ I can't afford. Frankly I'm more afraid of getting swiped by a car while touring on a busy hwy than any stupid mistake I might make on my own. Fear of accident and theft are two things that take a lot of the joy out of riding, as I see it

Spike-X
January 2nd, 2009, 08:41 AM
Multi-gears seems to wear and tear faster than a single speed.

Depends how well you maintain them. If you invest in a chain cleaner and a bottle of lube, and use them once every week or two, you'll add considerably to the life of your drive train. If you keep riding with a dry, dirty chain and poorly-adjusted gears, naturally things are going to wear out quicker.

Spike-X
January 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Anyway, here are my bikes. My weekday/commuter/fitness bike, a 2007 Norco Charger

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Spike-X/52_1.jpg

and my weekend bike, a 2008 Norco Six Three. Before a hard ride:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Spike-X/six_three_green.jpg

and after:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Spike-X/dirtyweekend.jpg

MikeTheC
January 2nd, 2009, 08:58 AM
@ Alpinist:

Yikes. I hope you get better soon!

@logos34:

Yeah, there are so many poor drivers that riding anywhere near them can be a daunting exercise in sheer will power. No road sense and little concern for anyone else make for a decidedly less-than-optimal environment. And yeah, theft is another concern. Mind you, I live in a generally nice and reasonably safe city, but we have crime here.

Moreover, Florida is not a universally cyclist-friendly state, and in my area oftentimes to get from A to B you have to pass through areas where there's just no good place to ride a bike. Besides, who wants to get sweaty or rained on just going to college or work? Right now isn't so bad, but much of the rest of the year you need to have a shower available wherever you go.

@Spike-X:

Nice! I'm not nearly that much into bikes myself, nor am I into anything as physical as what you've obviously put the Norco Six Three through, and I wouldn't want to have to field-strip a bike like that. Sidewalks and streets for me, thank you.

Spike-X
January 2nd, 2009, 09:04 AM
I didn't really strip it down, the wheels are only off so I could get it into the car.

I did have to wash it twice after that ride, though. Even the mud was covered in mud!

laceration
January 2nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
I've got a carbon fiber ~15 lbs. ride that I get more miles on than my car. I do a lot of Century rides and an occasional race. I did a New Years day polar bear ride. I also have a nice Mountainbike and an older Roadbike with panniers that I fill up on rides to the local Farmer's Market.

I have spent a lot of money on bikes, but I last bought a car 12 years ago, used. My priorities are straight. I am not a fan of the USA car culture, which looks to be entering its death throes, and see cycling as part of its antidote.

Swagman
January 2nd, 2009, 12:43 PM
I work the nightshift but it's "Job and finish" sometimes nine hours sometimes four hours... whatever. One thing I can tell you is....

"It's Wonderful cycling home at early o'clock. No traffic fumes.. no pscho asswipes in one tonne + bits of metal trying to smear me into the gutter etc.

Just nice and peaceful.

One thing I have found out in my 4 mile commute to work though is ..

Mountain bikes are uber crap as commuter vehicles. Far too much rolling resistance.

Call me weird (hey its a compliment) but I also see no point whatsoever in riding along like a turbo nutter *******... Your going to work.. Not competing in a leg of the Tour de France.

I just bought one of These (http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Brands/PowaCycle/Salisbury_LPX.aspx) because at my age (47) You can protect yourself against the cold and rain... But it's just too knackering fighting the wind. The electric assistance is awesome. I never drop out of top gear and can keep a sustained 20mph for a fair while... Then flick the switch over to full electric and have a breather.

What made me want one of these in the first place ?

Me riding along using maximum effort..Sweating like a pig and some granny came blasting past me full of the joys of spring .... "I'm... huh....pant... gonna.... pant... get....huh...pant... me....pant... one...of.... those !!"

mips
January 2nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
Mountain bikes are uber crap as commuter vehicles. Far too much rolling resistance.

Can't you have seperate set of road wheels for them?

RandomJoe
January 2nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
I ride a RAN V-Rex, like shown in my avatar. Used to ride many miles as a kid, but got lazy for a while. When I started again, I could manage only a few short miles before *EVERYTHING* hurt. Butt, hands, elbows, back, ...

Kept getting passed by a guy on a recumbent, so chased him down one day and asked about it. Wound up at a local bike shop, and bought my first 'bent! First time out, I went 20 miles with NO discomfort! Heck, the seats on some of them are like sitting in a recliner! :D

I actually managed to put more miles on my V-Rex one year than I did on my car. That was a great year! Unfortunately I got lazy again for a few years... Been trying to change that, but it'll be a while before I'm getting that kind of mileage again.

I don't like "utility riding" though. I tried commuting to work a few different times, and while it was doable, I had absolutely no fun. I was forced to ride on a VERY busy road for part of the trip and in general I just didn't enjoy the ride as much when I had to be somewhere. In contrast, I can go for a day-long ride out to the middle of nowhere and enjoy every minute of it!

It's sometimes fun to take other hobbies along for the ride too - I even take an amateur radio HF rig along on occasion:
http://okcforum.org/~martine/HFBike-Finished2.jpg

gn2
January 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
Can't you have seperate set of road wheels for them?

Yes. Just get another pair of mountain bike size wheels and put slicks on them.
Not ideal if it's a suspension bike though, it's better to just have two bikes.

mips
January 2nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Not ideal if it's a suspension bike though, it's better to just have two bikes.

Should not be to hard to fabricate something to stop the rear spring from compressing, front is a different story if it has front springs.

mdmarmer
January 2nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
I live in Dayton, Ohio and try to ride every Sunday if it doesn't get too cold or snowy

http://www.geocities.com/mdmarmer

I have 2 road bikes -- a pink Diamondback and a red Schwinn ... both are older, but, hey, a pink bike is a good one!

Mike

logos34
January 2nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
here's an iteresting story that aired last summer on CBSnews about the growing bike population and munincipal bike sharing programs (started by the wildly-successful Paris 'Velib' initiative):

http://bikecommutetips.blogspot.com/2008/07/cbs-on-bicycles-in-us.html

Can't believe I saw it on American TV...It only took them a year to discover it

edit: or maybe this is the one I remember seeing:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#25573628

insane_alien
January 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
i've got a bike i ride around on when i'm just going some local errands, unfortunately i need to commute a long distance so biking it would be impractical.

i also have an exercise bike set up to generate electricity. this was my idea, i was getting fat not so long ago, i watched a lot of movies, so i got a tv/dvd player combo and some electronic wizardy to supply it with 12V DC(nice low voltage tv) and if i wanted to watch movies or tv i had to pedal for it. worked a treat.

logos34
January 2nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
i also have an exercise bike set up to generate electricity. this was my idea, i was getting fat not so long ago, i watched a lot of movies, so i got a tv/dvd player combo and some electronic wizardy to supply it with 12V DC(nice low voltage tv) and if i wanted to watch movies or tv i had to pedal for it. worked a treat.

hey, that reminds me: I was wondering if there are recharging kits available for cyclists...I've seen the 'turbine' air-powered thingy to recharge cell phone, blackberry, etc, and solar-powered AA battery rechargers, but is there one big enough to recharge a netbook or eeepc or even a small notebook? (like, for touring). Does anyone know?

Dr Small
January 2nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
It's sometimes fun to take other hobbies along for the ride too - I even take an amateur radio HF rig along on occasion:
http://okcforum.org/~martine/HFBike-Finished2.jpg

That's brilliant; I love it!

keynell
January 3rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
I live and work in a smaller town, so it's quite convenient to bike to wherever I need to be. The fold-up baskets are handy for grocery-runs, and the fenders are nice for when the road is wet.

Recently I did this (http://sf0.org/keynell/Trespassing-the-Future/) on my bike.

logos34
January 3rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
I live and work in a smaller town, so it's quite convenient to bike to wherever I need to be. The fold-up baskets are handy for grocery-runs, and the fenders are nice for when the road is wet.

Recently I did this (http://sf0.org/keynell/Trespassing-the-Future/) on my bike.

Nice everyday bike.

Some of your photos triggered a bit of nostalgia in me--born into the San Joaquin valley which I mostly hated (moved out of state when I was young), but I have fond memories of Bay area, which I adore (not to mention Napa, Shasta, and most everything else in Nor cal. + Sierra Nevada). Something about those coastal hills, I can't explain it...

jpkotta
January 4th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I bike to work. It's more fun than driving, you get regular exercise without setting aside time for it, and people are sometimes impressed (even though it's not that hard, even in the winter).

I have a Cannondale [something] (Furio frame) and an old Diamondback.

handy
January 4th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Here is a kit for those riders who's legs get tired:

http://www.currietech.com.au/EVOConversionKit.shtml?openmenu=5

Tom--d
January 4th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I'm 16 and I bike :)

More into the extreme side.

I will upload a pic or 2.

gn2
January 4th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Here is a kit for those riders who's legs get tired:

http://www.currietech.com.au/EVOConversionKit.shtml?openmenu=5

Neat kit, a pair of them would be perfect for a recumbent trike....?

Spike-X
January 4th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Should not be to hard to fabricate something to stop the rear spring from compressing, front is a different story if it has front springs.
My hardtail (front suspension only) goes well on the road. It's good to have something to soak up some of the bumps. A lot of suspension forks also have a 'lockout' feature.

There's no way I'd ride my dual-suspension bike on the road on a regular basis, though. They're not set up for that kind of riding at all.

Spike-X
January 4th, 2009, 02:52 AM
LoL

Yeah, real funny @sshole. Some of those people died.

whiteraven
January 4th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Originally Posted by Hyper Tails View Post
LoL
Yeah, real funny @sshole. Some of those people died.

Always gotta be some clown in the bunch - I'd like to get him on a LONG hill climb and make him suffer and learn some respect. Hyper Tails will become Hyper Tears.

Long time biker here, commute, fast recreation, and some racing. My philosophy is "Any day on two wheels is a good day". Got 4 bikes myself, a Specialized Allez Pro (all Dura-Ace STI), a Stan Johnson custom built in 1987 (all original Dura-Ace 6 speed), a mid 80's Peugeot Canyon Express MTB (not pictured), and an Easy Racer tandem recumbent for the wife and I. She's not a cyclist, but really enjoys the plush seats and having me do all the work!

handy
January 4th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Neat kit, a pair of them would be perfect for a recumbent trike....?

Oz post is testing tricycles, though they are using the motor on the front wheel only. I guess it is due to the weight/cost of the batteries.

igknighted
January 4th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I don't have pics right now, but I commute most days on my road bike, but if the snow is really bad I'll ride this old trek I built up as a single speed cross bike. I've also got a freeride hardtail I like to mess around on for some MTB.

logos34
January 5th, 2009, 02:44 AM
wondering if there are recharging kits available for cyclists...I've seen the 'turbine' air-powered thingy to recharge cell phone, blackberry, etc, and solar-powered AA battery rechargers, but is there one big enough to recharge a netbook or eeepc or even a small notebook? (like, for touring). Does anyone know?

Anyone?

Basically like this one (http://www.oscarlhermitte.com/index.php?work=39) for cellphone recharge, but bigger to generate extra watts:

http://www.oscarlhermitte.com/images/work/Dynamo/dynamo2.jpg

Here'e the wind-powered version (HYmini Wind-Powered Gadget Charger (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/10/hymini_windpowe.php)):

http://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/10/24/hymini-wind-power-charger.jpg

MIT students made a pedal-powered (exercise bike) version (http://web.mit.edu/mitei/campus/spotlights/pedal-laptop.html) nearly two yrs ago, so I know it can be done.

Surely some company is selling one by now??--even so-called 'credit card' bike tours might find it handy.

bonfire89
January 5th, 2009, 05:02 AM
why am I not surprised to see this thread. There is definitely some connection between cycling and computers.

oh, and I ride all the time, love cycling and worked at a bicycle store this past summer.

cardinals_fan
January 5th, 2009, 06:01 AM
My bike is an ordinary K2. I'll post a pic if I remember later.

sharon.gmc
January 5th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I used to ride bicycles in grade school and high school when going to school and going back home.

whiteraven
January 8th, 2009, 03:36 AM
If anyone is interested (runners too), I've included a link to a basic cycling log in Open Office spreadsheet format, converted from an Excel version I found somewhere on the 'Net. If you're diligent in keeping it up, it's kinda neat watching the miles pile up. It also provides a wee bit of motivation to ride as I feel guilty if I have to enter a big fat zero for the day.

Ignore the ### and #DIV/0! at the bottom - they'll change when you start entering ride data.

--> Cycling Log 2009 (http://twoheartsranch.com/tmp/CyclingLog2009.ods)

Hope someone else enjoys it also!

Dr Small
January 8th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Anyone?

Basically like this one (http://www.oscarlhermitte.com/index.php?work=39) for cellphone recharge, but bigger to generate extra watts:

http://www.oscarlhermitte.com/images/work/Dynamo/dynamo2.jpg

Here'e the wind-powered version (HYmini Wind-Powered Gadget Charger (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/10/hymini_windpowe.php)):

http://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/10/24/hymini-wind-power-charger.jpg

MIT students made a pedal-powered (exercise bike) version (http://web.mit.edu/mitei/campus/spotlights/pedal-laptop.html) nearly two yrs ago, so I know it can be done.

Surely some company is selling one by now??--even so-called 'credit card' bike tours might find it handy.
My Dad's old bicycle had one of those generators on it to operate the headlight on the front of it!

logos34
January 8th, 2009, 04:26 AM
My Dad's old bicycle had one of those generators on it to operate the headlight on the front of it!

yes, exactly! I can't imagine there's much difference between headlamp generator and a cellphone recharger, except for slightly different wattage output. How hard can it be to design one to recharge notebooks? I guess there's just not much of a market, even in the developing world, otherwise we'd have one already.

jeffc313
January 9th, 2009, 11:25 PM
why am I not surprised to see this thread. There is definitely some connection between cycling and computers.

oh, and I ride all the time, love cycling and worked at a bicycle store this past summer.

I have always loved purple frames. My dream is to own a purple san rensho. If I ever get enough money or maybe after I graduate from high school I'll buy it for myself!

|eafhound
January 10th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Current bike is a Univega Alpina 500 (1999)

Next bike is a Bianchi Camaleonte and will have Specialised Armadillo tyres, that through experience has taught me they last years.

Bianchi Cama
http://bike.woodvillage.co.uk/bike/img/bianchi_Camaleonte_sora.jpg

jeffc313
January 10th, 2009, 12:45 AM

Next bike is a Bianchi Camaleonte and will have Specialised Armadillo tyres, that through experience has taught me they last years.

Bianchi Cama

conti gatorskins > armadillos

logos34
January 10th, 2009, 12:47 AM

wow...slick. Carbon frame? triple chainring

i like bianchis in general

|eafhound
January 10th, 2009, 01:12 AM
wow...slick. Carbon frame? triple chainring

i like bianchis in general

Well as far as i know the options are aluminium or carbon or with a mixture of both

Swagman
January 10th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Son in law "modelling" ours. He was so impressed by mine he went and bought the same one.

[img]http://www.upload3r.com/serve/090109/1231508730.jpg

Sam3280
January 21st, 2009, 02:31 PM
has anyone successfully found a cycle computer that runs Linux or can be hacked to run Linux. I doubt it but it would be good

billgoldberg
January 21st, 2009, 04:49 PM
I only buy second hand bikes.

During the last 10 years I had about 8 bikes stolen.

laceration
January 21st, 2009, 06:28 PM
has anyone successfully found a cycle computer that runs Linux or can be hacked to run Linux. I doubt it but it would be good

http://www.quarq.us/qranium

Though I think it is vaporware and it is set to cost $1000.

Sam3280
January 22nd, 2009, 12:23 AM
http://www.quarq.us/qranium

Though I think it is vaporware and it is set to cost $1000.

Ok thanks

logos34
January 22nd, 2009, 12:46 AM
I only buy second hand bikes.

During the last 10 years I had about 8 bikes stolen.

That's got to be the biggest drag about owning a bike--the constant fear of theft! God, what $$$ and mental anguish squandered on locks and security! I guess it's just as well I don't have one because if my prized handbuilt bike were ever to get snatched I'd be heartbroken

bonfire89
January 22nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
Agreed,

Over the past year here in Toronto, Canada there was a man who was arrested and in the process of being charged for the possession of I believe over 3,000 stolen bicycles in addition to stealing many of them (I believe) and other various drug charges and I think even an assault charge after assaulting a prison officer or something like that.

There are too many links to post a new story, and I don't know of a cumulative article.. they kept on finding stash upon stash after the initial charges. But, googling "Toronto Irgor Kenk bicycle" works well.

And statistically Toronto isn't the worst place to lock up your bike.

logos34
January 22nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Agreed,

Over the past year here in Toronto, Canada there was a man who was arrested and in the process of being charged for the possession of I believe over 3,000 stolen bicycles in addition to stealing many of them (I believe) and other various drug charges and I think even an assault charge after assaulting a prison officer or something like that.

And statistically Toronto isn't the worst place to lock up your bike.

man, that's a heavy possession charge! Throw the book at him, that's what I say.

NYC, Frisco are the worst I think.

I figure that for peace of mind I'd need to carry at least 25lbs of chains, cables and U-Locks to secure a new bike.

GCG199
January 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
Or to help prevent theft, you can ride a single-speed or fixed-gear bicycle.

This is what happened to me a couple of years ago. I just wish I could have seen the guy that tried to steal my bike after he realized it was single-speed!

Dr Small
January 22nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
That's got to be the biggest drag about owning a bike--the constant fear of theft! God, what $$$ and mental anguish squandered on locks and security! I guess it's just as well I don't have one because if my prized handbuilt bike were ever to get snatched I'd be heartbroken
You must live in the city. Out here, bike theft is unheard of.

andras artois
January 22nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
The 1st picture is what it used to look like a year and a half ago, second is what it looked like a year ago and the third is what it looked like until about a week ago.

I'll try and get a more recent one put up after I've rebuilt it.

Polygon
January 22nd, 2009, 11:38 PM

just buy two locks

one U lock and the other (another u lock or can be a cable lock) that way you can go through both the frame and through both tires. if you park your bike in a semi populated area, then it becomes almost impossible to saw off cause then someone will notice

andras artois
January 23rd, 2009, 10:27 PM
Rebuilt it today after rawing the frame. It normally has brakes but I couldn't be bothered to put them back after rebuilding it.

Dr Small
January 23rd, 2009, 10:29 PM
just buy two locks

one U lock and the other (another u lock or can be a cable lock) that way you can go through both the frame and through both tires. if you park your bike in a semi populated area, then it becomes almost impossible to saw off cause then someone will notice
Saw off? Of course no one is going to attempt that. A simple pair of cutters will cut through steel cable in a jiffy, and then your off. I would never trust the safety of my bike on a steel cable.

logos34
January 24th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Saw off? Of course no one is going to attempt that. A simple pair of cutters will cut through steel cable in a jiffy, and then your off. I would never trust the safety of my bike on a steel cable.

That's what I hear...Seems U-locks (the top-end ones at least) and big, badboy chains are preferred. As for the latter I'm thinking of Kryptonite 'Fuhgetaboutit' NYC chain...Isn't that supposed to be the best?

bonfire89
February 14th, 2009, 05:20 AM
I have always loved purple frames. My dream is to own a purple san rensho. If I ever get enough money or maybe after I graduate from high school I'll buy it for myself!

Or quality spray paint :)

the colour worked out great. I am quite happy with my choice. I had never seen a purple frame. I've seen some now. But, still pretty unique.

Zenze
February 14th, 2009, 05:30 AM
No pics but I use my bike to ride over campus and get to class.

bonfire89
February 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Or to help prevent theft, you can ride a single-speed or fixed-gear bicycle.

This is what happened to me a couple of years ago. I just wish I could have seen the guy that tried to steal my bike after he realized it was single-speed!

There was a story around here, that some thug stole a brakeless fixie just as the owner was coming out, the owner chased him, and the thug crashed into a back of a car.