PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with CD Desktop Install

Twreck
January 1st, 2009, 08:55 AM
I have decided to try ubunto so I purchased the "Official unbuntu book" which included a install cd, version 8.04 LTS. I wanted to try it so I booted to the CD and after choosing my language I went to a user name screen? I am trying to access the OS off the CD without installing it at this point. I did not get a prompt to create a username and password. The instructions in the book indicate the browser would start so I could get a look without touching my existing drive. Any suggestions on how I can make this happen?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Harvey

gettinoriginal
January 1st, 2009, 09:38 AM
Just insert a username and password, and it will progress, but it will not install without your permission. After username password, it will ask you, "use it without install" "install" etc. Click on use it without install to try it out, this will assure you that all your hardware etc is compatible. Just be aware that anything you do while using the live CD will not be saved when you eject it.

Happy New Year, and welcome to Ubuntu :popcorn:

Twreck
January 1st, 2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I just did not know how far I could go without starting the install
Happy New Year to you also. Moving to ubunto is one of my 2009 goals.
Harvey