PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Giving old laptop to mom... Reccomendations.

EnergySamus
December 31st, 2008, 11:06 PM
Hi!
So I just ordered a fully-ish loaded Dell Studio 15. My mom and me ordered it together, and she went 50/50 on the price with me(I am 15 years old, so I don't have a credit card:lolflag:). To thank her I am giving her my Acer Aspire 3690, which you can see in my signature.

I just wanted to know if there is anything that I should do to it before giving it to her. She is not a fan of Linux because she likes the feel of Windows, since it is the first kind of computer she used. So installing Ubuntu is out of the picture:(.

I have Norton Internet Security 09' on hand. Anything else that I should put on there?

Thanks
EnergySamus

xpod
December 31st, 2008, 11:12 PM
I am going to do a fresh reinstall of Windows, and I have Norton Internet Security 09' on hand. Anything else that I should put on there?

Whats your mom ever done to you to deserve that then???
Just joking....seriously though,i`d go get some of the free alternatives before i ever installed that steaming pile of poo on anyones PC.

Happily took it off for many to find the problems they had resolved though.

mips
December 31st, 2008, 11:14 PM
http://www.techsupportalert.com/ Great site and their recommendations on free stuff is great & pretty spot on. Antivirus & Firewall is a must. I would not use the commercial bloatware versions.

You could also make windows lighter by stripping down the install cd with nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/). Just by removing all the additional languages & printer drivers you already free up a lot of space, additional netowrk drivers like ATM etc can also be removed.

EnergySamus
December 31st, 2008, 11:15 PM
Whats your mom ever done to you to deserve that then???
Just joking....seriously though,i`d go get some of the free alternatives before i ever installed that steaming pile of poo on anyones PC.

Happily took it off for many to find the problems they had resolved though.

But still, she really isn't willing to switch to linux!:D

Paqman
December 31st, 2008, 11:17 PM
I am going to do a fresh reinstall of Windows, and I have Norton Internet Security 09' on hand. Anything else that I should put on there?

Norton is horrifically bloated, and not particularly good. I'd strongly recommend Avast instead.

Make sure you bring it up to the correct SP level, which would be SP1 for Vista and SP3 for XP. Set it to do automatic updates.

Otherwise i'd load it up with all the open source apps to replace the default Microsoft junk (a FOSS browser, Thunderbird, Pidgin, Open Office, etc) About the only Microsoft app worth having is Defender, which is actually pretty good.

gn2
December 31st, 2008, 11:19 PM
Definitely avoid Norton, AVG + ZoneAlarm would be far better.

Make sure you download all the drivers and install them....

And do all the updates and service packs and with all the re-boots and nonsense best to set aside at least an afternoon for the job.

EnergySamus
December 31st, 2008, 11:26 PM
Well I have used Norton since it came out, and it hasn't done anything to me!

But thanks for the list of open source apps!:KS

And while we are on the subject: My mom likes to edit her pictures, what is the best free app for this?

EnergySamus
December 31st, 2008, 11:28 PM
I also am already using Firefox and Thunderbird, so I am fine there.

Also, scratch the idea of reinstalling! Why fix what isn't broken (at the moment:roll:)

Paqman
January 1st, 2009, 12:00 AM
Well I have used Norton since it came out, and it hasn't done anything to me!

The main problems with it are that it uses a ridiculous amount of system resources, costs money, isn't particularly good at stopping malware and is difficult to remove fully. I used it myself years ago and couldn't believe how much better my machine ran without it.

Seriously, there are much better Windows security suites available for free.

xarte
January 1st, 2009, 12:20 AM
PhotoScape is supposed to be good and Paint.net gets a good writeup too.

I've usually used the freebies that came with hardware. I recently bought Corel Painter Essentials 4. It's quite cheap to buy and is a lot of fun - you can turn photos into "paintings" and play with effects.

also check out photoshop express. I think it's free?

https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.html

Ms_Angel_D
January 1st, 2009, 12:42 AM
And while we are on the subject: My mom likes to edit her pictures, what is the best free app for this?

There is also a Gimp version for windows (http://www.gimp.org/windows/)

But as xarte said Paint.net isn't bad.

xarte
January 1st, 2009, 01:37 AM
Last time I tried gimp, I found it rather awkward to use, but the latest version is really very user-friendly and intuitive, so she might find it okay. It depends what she's used to.

I wanted to add, there's no point in switching over to Linux unless she's enough of a geek that she'd enjoy getting accustomed to a new OS - I found the transition to OSX from windows incredibly frustrating (and I'd coveted a Mac for years) and am enjoying Linux because I like tinkering. For most adults, when you just want to 'do stuff', having to learn a new tool is infuriating, and re-learning all the time for ever-changing software becomes a real drag. You want things to be where you're used to them being, and things to do what they've always done. I find most software 'updates' just annoy me!

EnergySamus
January 1st, 2009, 02:19 AM
I wanted to add, there's no point in switching over to Linux unless she's enough of a geek that she'd enjoy getting accustomed to a new OS - I found the transition to OSX from windows incredibly frustrating (and I'd coveted a Mac for years) and am enjoying Linux because I like tinkering. For most adults, when you just want to 'do stuff', having to learn a new tool is infuriating, and re-learning all the time for ever-changing software becomes a real drag. You want things to be where you're used to them being, and things to do what they've always done. I find most software 'updates' just annoy me!

THANK YOU. This is the exact way my mom feels!:D

Anyway, thanks everybody for the reccomendations

xpod
January 1st, 2009, 03:35 PM
But still, she really isn't willing to switch to linux!

And neither should she if that`s what she wants.I was only refering to Norton after all & not Windows itself.
After updating completely though(make a fully updated image with nlite as advised already i think)i`d install Avast for her AV and if there`s no Router/firewall then possibly the Comodo firewall too.