PDA

View Full Version : When will Ubuntu speak and follow orders?

Gibbs
December 31st, 2008, 10:15 PM
Hello all,

I've been a keen Linux user ever since Redhat 9 but never made the full "switch" since Ubuntu Edgy came out. Although it may take time I'm positive that Linux will become the alpha male. However we ARE BEHIND. When booting I notice the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) is run. My real question is when HAL will be able to talk and follow orders. We are about 8 years behind, lets sort this out!

Cheers and Happy New Year!

fubbleskag
December 31st, 2008, 10:19 PM
:facepalm:

Onimuno
December 31st, 2008, 10:58 PM
very well spoken my friend! we need to catch up to the curb in many diffrent features!

albinootje
December 31st, 2008, 11:35 PM
Hello all,

I've been a keen Linux user ever since Redhat 9 but never made the full "switch" since Ubuntu Edgy came out. Although it may take time I'm positive that Linux will become the alpha male. However we ARE BEHIND. When booting I notice the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) is run. My real question is when HAL will be able to talk and follow orders. We are about 8 years behind, lets sort this out!

Cheers and Happy New Year!

I've heard, from reliable sources, that HAL9000 is only expected to arrive in a few thousand years.

Happy GNU year! :)

notlistening
January 2nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
HAL was speaking in 2001 wasn't he? :P The odessy of Linux continues.

my_key
January 2nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
Hehe, got a good laught out of that one.

GeneralZod
January 2nd, 2009, 01:11 PM
> Open the CDROM tray, HAL.
> I'm sorry Zod, I'm afraid I can't do that.
> sudo Open the CDROM tray, HAL.
> OK!

mips
January 2nd, 2009, 01:11 PM
We are about 8 years behind, lets sort this out!

Way more than 8 years, more like 23 years. The Amiga OS could speak when it came out, it had a Narrator Translator Library for text to speech synthesis which worked across the OS and you could change it to male/female as well as the pitch etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_synthesis#AmigaOS
http://vtatila.kapsi.fi/reviews_of_speech_synths.html#narrator

chamber
January 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Macs can speak if you tell them what to say.

Ozor Mox
January 2nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Macs can speak if you tell them what to say.

Just like their users ;)

(I joke, I joke :KS)

chamber
January 2nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Just like their users ;)

(I joke, I joke :KS)

Lol.

Nice.

I think that the first thing it says is "All hail Jobs almighty!"

LowSky
January 2nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
I still don't understand that black obelisk and the warring monkeys scene in the begining of that movie.

I just saw Wall-E and Eagle eye, and both rip off HAL from 2001: A Space Odyessy.

Also when is any space agency going to build a fully funtional space ship with atificial gravity, from that movie's standpoint we are 8 years behind.

bukwirm
January 2nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
If you're actually interested in voice control and speech synthesis on Linux, it can be done - take a look at this (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4723) and this (http://www.linux.com/articles/113917). The relevant programs are cvoicecontrol or Sphinx and Festival.

I still don't understand that black obelisk and the warring monkeys scene in the begining of that movie.

If you haven't already done so, you should read the book (2001: A Space Odyssey, Arther C. Clarke) - it is much better than the movie (at least in my opinion). The book is also easier to understand than the movie.

mips
January 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM

I think those monkeys/apes became us, humans :) Well that was my interpretation at the time anyway. Where ever the black monolith is there is new life.

richg
January 2nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Linux is far too fragmented. Count the OS's. No direction, no figurehead. Linus is good at what he does, but still, no director. We are groping in the dark.
Linux was developed for techie types and cannot seem to change direction. Everyone is pulling in a different direction.
I love Linus but growth is extremely slow.

Rich

Slug71
January 2nd, 2009, 11:25 PM
Linux is far too fragmented. Count the OS's. No direction, no figurehead. Linus is good at what he does, but still, no director. We are groping in the dark.
Linux was developed for techie types and cannot seem to change direction. Everyone is pulling in a different direction.

Rich

Agreed it is slow, but it has also come along way over the last few years. And its only gonna get better.

The problem i see is that it has grown so much that its kinda all over the place especially when it comes to releases. I get that its open source and that makes everyone free to do as they please which is cool and all but now there has to come some sort of structure or else we're gonna start getting held back in a lot of areas.

I think the major Distros need to get together and sort out a sync for their releases so that their new version releases come out say within 2 weeks of each other.

And Gnome, KDE, Xfce, OO, Compiz and all things like that also plan their releases within 2 weeks of each other but 2 months ahead of the Distro releases which means release should always make it before feature freeze for the next Distro release.

This way no one holds one another up, we wont have the issue like we do with still no OOo3 and all the Distros would be working and contributing to the same features at the same time. I think we will probably see less and less bugs with follow on versions this way too.

ajcham
January 3rd, 2009, 12:13 AM
> Open the CDROM tray, HAL.
> I'm sorry Zod, I'm afraid I can't do that.
> sudo Open the CDROM tray, HAL.
> OK!

+1, lol

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/sandwich.png (http://xkcd.com/149/)

kk0sse54
January 3rd, 2009, 12:41 AM

Rich

On the contrary I think growth is fast actually and I enjoy the multitude of options available from having so many different kinds of distros and Desktop Environment. I also think that a lot of the growth can be attributed to competition between some of the bigger distros like Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora etc etc.