PDA

View Full Version : [other] Screensaver in LXDE

jis
December 31st, 2008, 09:56 PM
How can you replace xscreensaver by gnome-screensaver in LXDE? (Xscreensaver does not lock screen when you e.g. suspend.) Even if I kill xscreensaver and run gnome-screensaver, the former is there after next login. How do you add a key-binding to lock screen in LXDE? (Ctrl-Alt-Delete works in Xfce.)

jis
January 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM
xscreensaver is a dependency of lxde package. Thus I can't remove xscreensaver unless I want to remove whole LXDE. I don't understand why they are so tightly bind. I prefer gnome-screensaver for its power management features.

bhy
May 25th, 2010, 12:57 PM
a similar problem here, xscreensaver is eating my CPU and I'd like to replace it by a blank screen, however there seems to be no way to disable it in LXDE. btw, first I thought you wrote "how can they [the package managers] be so tightly blind [to the user's needs]" :)

amjjawad
March 10th, 2011, 12:09 AM
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LXDE#Gnome-screensaver_with_LXDE

Yes, I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to help those who will come across this one :)

After spending some time on searching, I guess using Xscreensaver which is the default package with Lubuntu is a better approach. Some may not even use a screensaver.

If the above link is the only way to get gnome-screensaver works for LXDE then it's unnecessary step.

Subito Piano
December 28th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks, amjjawad -- being in and out of my office your link was just what i needed! :)

Subito Piano
December 28th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Hmm - now my taskbar has reverted to my Gnome taskbar. not bad, but, well, am i in LXDE or Gnome? :P How much am i using more resources and defeating the whole point of using LXDE?

EDIT: A little digging led me here (http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/#shutdown) -- scroll down a little to see how to configure xscreensaver and have it lock, all automatically, when you add "xscreensaver" to the autostart file.

oldos2er
December 29th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Closed, necromancy.