PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] From Xandros to Ubuntu

winlinuser
December 31st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Can anyone advise me:

I have a PC running XP and Zandros 3. XP is my work machine and Zandros my OS of choice.

Whilst I have been happy with Zandros, I want to change to Ubuntu. I am concerned that I MUST retain the XP system and data safely.

Has anyone got experience of making a Zandros / Ubuntu swap under these circumstances? All advice would be welcome.

Happy New Year to you all.

Winlinuser

AlanR8
December 31st, 2008, 10:03 PM
I moved from XP to Xandros then to Ubuntu and finally to Kubuntu.

I can't remember if I dual booted for a while but it's not important because I had a full backup of all my XP files.

From my experience, if you are going to dual boot you MUST put XP on first then allow the Ubuntu install to repartition the disk. That way you don't screw up your XP install. (Something to do with the Win boot loader not playing nicely with Grub the native Linux boot loader.

winlinuser
January 2nd, 2009, 11:07 PM
Hi Alan

Thanks for the post.

I have XP and Zandros loaded already so I guess your experience fits my situation. What I am still worried about is what happens if Ubuntu does not behave "well" if simply installed over the top of the XP/Zandros mix. Would Ubuntu simply overwrite the Zandros install or would it create an additional Ubuntu install - perhaps stuffing the boot system on the way?

If I need to uninstall Zandros first, how is this done? If I can direct Ubuntu to overwrite Zandros, how is this done? Would either of these approaches cause boot problems (in the short term)?

Any ideas welcome...

Sef
January 3rd, 2009, 02:05 AM
I have XP and Zandros loaded already so I guess your experience fits my situation. What I am still worried about is what happens if Ubuntu does not behave "well" if simply installed over the top of the XP/Zandros mix. Would Ubuntu simply overwrite the Zandros install or would it create an additional Ubuntu install - perhaps stuffing the boot system on the way?

You can triple boot with Ubuntu or have it format those paritions so you only have Ubuntu. What do you want to do?

Back up your data before installing.

oilchangeguy
January 3rd, 2009, 02:13 AM
Can anyone advise me:

I have a PC running XP and Zandros 3. XP is my work machine and Zandros my OS of choice.

Whilst I have been happy with Zandros, I want to change to Ubuntu. I am concerned that I MUST retain the XP system and data safely.

Has anyone got experience of making a Zandros / Ubuntu swap under these circumstances? All advice would be welcome.

Happy New Year to you all.

Winlinuser

first, it's Xandros. you got it right in the title. how come you keep misspelling it? second, back up any data from windows, and xandros that you want to keep BEFORE you attempt any changes. third, set your computer to boot from the cd drive, and run the live cd, make sure you like it. then follow the prompts to install it. read this:
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed _first.htm

winlinuser
January 3rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hi Sef / Oilchangeguy

Many thanks for the feedback. I have read the posts and links you have provided and have ordered my new Ubuntu CD.

I think I will try to reformat the partition(s) and install Ubuntu clean. As you indicate oilchangeguy, I will back up data first as your linked pages confirm that the operation is risky.

* Spelling? Sorry, it's just my idea of humour. I'll keep on with the tablets.... :D