PDA

View Full Version : Is Compiz dead.....???

plun
December 31st, 2008, 08:53 PM
The Future of Compiz In Question

Posted by Michael Larabel on December 31, 2008

Rather than announcing a road-map for 2009 or sharing all of the accomplishments this year that were made within the Compiz development community, Kristian Lyngstol has shared some grave concerns for this project that brought "desktop bling" to Linux. Kristian has outlined a few areas that that he believes need to be addressed otherwise it could mean the death of Compiz. Compiz in fact is just losing developers at this point and with the different forks taking place there is much stagnation occurring within Compiz.

Kristian believes that there is a lack of leadership and direction that has caused virtually no major work to get done since the Compiz Fusion creation (Beryl merger) in 2007. Compiz hasn't seen any new developers contributing significantly to the core development efforts since that time, but instead are losing their developers.

Blamed for this unfortunate state is the lack of project goals, inconsistent organization, and undocumented code. When it comes to the inconsistent organization, Compiz still has multiple bug trackers, developer mailing list, source-code repositories, etc. Kristian believes that these problems must be addressed before work on Compiz continues. He is also calling for clear goals to be defined for each release.

The Compiz community also needs to decide what to do with the branches of Compiz that are out there already. Last week we talked about Compiz++, which is a rewrite of Compiz in C++, separates the OpenGL and Composite layers, a new plug-in interface, and brings forth several other significant changes.

To read all of what Kristian Lyngstol had to write about the future of Compiz, read his mailing list post.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njk2Mg

Mail
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/compiz/2008-December/003236.html

Windows 7 here I come...:(

Islington
December 31st, 2008, 08:55 PM
sensationalist title. the compiz community is still alive with yet another branch introduced last week I think called Compiz++.

plun
December 31st, 2008, 08:56 PM
sensationalist title. the compiz community is still alive with yet another branch introduced last week I think called Compiz++.

Well... read the mail...!

phrostbyte
December 31st, 2008, 08:58 PM
One dude on a mailing list calls Compiz dead. Therefore Compiz is dead.

You got some terrible logic going on in this thread.

Islington
December 31st, 2008, 08:59 PM
Well... read the mail...!
I read the mailing lists quite frequently thats where I remember reading about the new branch. the community is having a discussion. I consider that a good thing not a bad.

Changturkey
December 31st, 2008, 09:02 PM
I've kinda gotten sick of Compiz effects actually...

Steveway
December 31st, 2008, 09:02 PM
Blamed for this unfortunate state is the lack of project goals, inconsistent organization, and undocumented code. When it comes to the inconsistent organization, Compiz still has multiple bug trackers, developer mailing list, source-code repositories, etc. Kristian believes that these problems must be addressed before work on Compiz continues. He is also calling for clear goals to be defined for each release.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/compiz/
Last update 24 hours ago, oh yeah definitly dead. :rolleyes:

gn2
December 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM

I used Beryl for less than a day back in early 2007.
For me the desktop effects are entirely pointless.

xpod
December 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
Windows 7 here I come...

Compiz is obviously a major attraction for many but surely it cant be anyone`s main reason for using Ubuntu/Linux....can it?

The power of You Tube eh.

klange
December 31st, 2008, 09:08 PM
Kristian is just overreacting the Compiz++ situation, and the Phoronix editors are taking it out of context. There's plenty of direction for us to follow, with a number of big ideas to watch and let flourish (ie, merge MPX/IR support into master). We also have new developers who recently joined with some pretty cool new effects.

I call FUD.

Twitch6000
December 31st, 2008, 09:12 PM
First and formost let me say if you are going to go back to windows just cause of a MYTH of compiz dying okay good luck.

Second remember that compiz++ has been announced and this is just one person saying this.... and compiz is OPEN SOURCE...

I really do not see Compiz going bye bye for a long long time...

plun
December 31st, 2008, 09:17 PM
Kristian is just overreacting the Compiz++ situation, and the Phoronix editors are taking it out of context. There's plenty of direction for us to follow, with a number of big ideas to watch and let flourish (ie, merge MPX/IR support into master). We also have new developers who recently joined with some pretty cool new effects.

I call FUD.

Nope... the compiz-fusion community has been a mess for a long time.. !

Gnome uses the Metacity junk (IMHO) as standard..

I am running Compiz from GIT with the excellent spanish makefusion script...

I don't call the new devs as core devs... and where is David Reveman ????

And the Novell affair.... just the usual Open Source mess..:(:(:(

Half-Left
December 31st, 2008, 09:22 PM
This is what happens when you take a different window manager and not have it supported in the DE. GNOME are so slow at implementing composting for GNOME, compiz is a savior to it for proper composting.

KDE got flak for not going with compiz, they stuck with their vision of aiglx/compositing with kwin and it's paid off nicely. KDE4.x has nice integrated compositing right into their window manager, GNOME has been stuck with compiz third party window manager thats not even endorsed by them.

GNOME need to get a metacity composting upto speed but I feel the reason they haven't is because compiz is a scapegoat for them so they just can't be arsed.

forrestcupp
December 31st, 2008, 09:35 PM
Looks like it's time for Quinn to refork Beryl. ;)

And even if Compiz were to die, it wouldn't mean that what we already have would just disappear.

MikeTheC
December 31st, 2008, 09:52 PM
Compiz is obviously not a "core essential" part of Linux, but I would rate it as being reasonably important insofar as "desktop Linux" is concerned. It helps with that overall "polish" that everyone seems to want Linux to have, and it's something I really enjoy myself.

I have no experience or working knowledge of the Compiz or Beryl back-story, politics, and so forth, so I really can't comment on the specifics mentioned. It's my sincere hope they're ultimately able to work out all these kinks.

klange
December 31st, 2008, 10:00 PM
The Phoronix article is much like any other Phoronix article. If news got around that Torvalds farted, a Phoronix editor could write an article claiming that it's the new image of Linux and a new direction for the kernel. >_>

Basically, what Kristian is saying is not that Compiz is dead or going to die, but that if we want to stop losing developers and depending on the few new ones we occasionally get, we need to define some real concrete goals instead of randomly implementing new systems so that things don't break. We also need to consolidate to a single mailing list, bug tracker, and git repository (I vote the C-F one, for reasons that should be obvious). We also need to document the core, and Kristian seems to be the only one who even attempts that feat at any time, and it's usually just to remove old comments that aren't valid any more.

andamaru
December 31st, 2008, 10:01 PM
Compiz was suppose to die anyway, it was just an experimental window manager to show off crazy desktop effects. Kwin already has effects and in about 2 years the Gnome developer should add some effects.

Islington
December 31st, 2008, 10:07 PM
WindowsSucks: what I dont understand, and I dont mean to step on any toes here. but what is compiz supposed be? It does window management but then it also does crazy things like have an aquarium in a cube. I dont really know any of its history so what was it supposed to be? has it acheived that?

Delever
December 31st, 2008, 10:09 PM
In xkcd style, number of google results for "Is ... dead?":

Is Windows dead? - 3.650.000
Is Ubuntu dead? - 3.530.000
Is Unix dead? - 2.620.000
Is DirectX dead? - 1.160.000
Is OpenGL dead? - 618.000
Is Beryl dead? - 497.000
Is Linux dead? - 451.000
Is Compiz dead? - 107.000

I would say Compiz is still going strong, yet Ubuntu is near ultimate death.
You should start another thread to adjust situation.

Giant Speck
December 31st, 2008, 10:15 PM
So I heard from this guy on Ubuntuforums that heard from this guy on a mailing list that Compiz is dead...

miggols99
December 31st, 2008, 10:43 PM
Well I don't mind if Compiz dies (although I highly doubt it will) because I have KDE 4 :D

eBoxNet
December 31st, 2008, 10:44 PM
Compiz is obviously a major attraction for many but surely it cant be anyone`s main reason for using Ubuntu/Linux....can it?

The power of You Tube eh.

yeah compiz is a good way to show someone that linux isn't just a black screen with letters,it has a desktop and you don't have to "type" all the things you need to do.

i am enabling compiz fx only if a friend ask me if ubuntu has any desktop fx or if a friend say to me : Hey Vista has plenty of good fx to manage windows etc :p

i don't really like to work on my computer with compiz enabled

xpod
December 31st, 2008, 11:02 PM
yeah compiz is a good way to show someone that linux isn't just a black screen with letters,it has a desktop and you don't have to "type" all the things you need to do.

It`s not exactly "black screen with letters" without Compiz either though is it.It`s the myth that you must use command lines to use Ubuntu that needs refuting when that`s what people are believing.

i am enabling compiz fx only if a friend ask me if ubuntu has any desktop fx or if a friend say to me : Hey Vista has plenty of good fx to manage windows etc

I generally have Compiz enabled myself but it`s way down the list of my reasons to keep using *buntu/linux.

Twitch6000
December 31st, 2008, 11:03 PM
Nope... the compiz-fusion community has been a mess for a long time.. !

Gnome uses the Metacity junk (IMHO) as standard..

I am running Compiz from GIT with the excellent spanish makefusion script...

I don't call the new devs as core devs... and where is David Reveman ????

And the Novell affair.... just the usual Open Source mess..:(:(:(

You do know without Novell we would not have as much as we do now....

You really really need to chill out...

Xanatos Craven
December 31st, 2008, 11:25 PM
So I heard from this guy on Ubuntuforums that heard from this guy on a mailing list that Compiz is dead...
Ugh... somebody get a medic. I think my right hand is melting into my forehead.

QFT!

Giant Speck
December 31st, 2008, 11:29 PM
Ugh... somebody get a medic. I think my right hand is melting into my forehead.

When the hand finally melts into the forehead, do you mind checking your sarcasm meter? I think it's off.

Half-Left
December 31st, 2008, 11:36 PM

You really really need to chill out...

Yes we would, Redhat worked on aiglx, Wheres's XGL now?(only OpenSUSE uses it by default and shoves it down their users throat)

Novell resurrected what was already there and made XGL/compiz behind closed doors during it's early development. It's what usually happens in opensource, they spark off ideas, Redhat actually did a proper job, Novell did the wow and quick hack.

Dr Small
December 31st, 2008, 11:43 PM
For me the desktop effects are entirely pointless.
I absolutely agree.

Steveway
December 31st, 2008, 11:45 PM
WindowsSucks: what I dont understand, and I dont mean to step on any toes here. but what is compiz supposed be? It does window management but then it also does crazy things like have an aquarium in a cube. I dont really know any of its history so what was it supposed to be? has it acheived that?

It's a compositing-manager. It's purpose is to offload the drawing of the things you see, your U.I., to the graphics-card, wich is idling around normally most of the time.
This saves on CPU-power and thus reduces battery-consumption and heat-generation etc...
And as a side-effect it allows for special-effects.

Giant Speck
December 31st, 2008, 11:46 PM
Personally, the only things I use Compiz for are Emerald, Expo, and Window Previews.

Okay, I do indulge in some Wobbly Windows, but I don't even have that set crazy high. Just a slight wobble for realism.

cmat
December 31st, 2008, 11:53 PM
Most decent window managers have built-in composite support. Gnome has it, KDE has it, heck even XFCE. They aren't as over the top as Compiz but provide a user experience like that of Vista. That's all you really need. Also forks in most cases are a really good thing. Just shows you how organic open source really is.

Ms_Angel_D
January 1st, 2009, 12:30 AM
When I first started using Ubuntu, I was really into the whole compiz thing, but now, I just like having some basic effects, such as the grouping feature, nothing really out there though...

Islington
January 1st, 2009, 01:17 AM
It's a compositing-manager. It's purpose is to offload the drawing of the things you see, your U.I., to the graphics-card, wich is idling around normally most of the time.
This saves on CPU-power and thus reduces battery-consumption and heat-generation etc...
And as a side-effect it allows for special-effects.

Ahha! good to know.:)

Twitch6000
January 1st, 2009, 01:28 AM
Yes we would, Redhat worked on aiglx, Wheres's XGL now?(only OpenSUSE uses it by default and shoves it down their users throat)

Novell resurrected what was already there and made XGL/compiz behind closed doors during it's early development. It's what usually happens in opensource, they spark off ideas, Redhat actually did a proper job, Novell did the wow and quick hack.

Novell has gotten us more software support and hardware support.

How? Through their Microsoft friendship that you all so hate.

Through this friendship we have mono,moonlight,and other things.

Also thanks to Novel,Redhat,And a few others we Nvidia And ATI started making drivers for us.

Novel has also done alot for the Linux Community which Canonical has not.

Half-Left
January 1st, 2009, 02:04 AM
Novell has gotten us more software support and hardware support.

How? Through their Microsoft friendship that you all so hate.

Through this friendship we have mono,moonlight,and other things.

Also thanks to Novel,Redhat,And a few others we Nvidia And ATI started making drivers for us.

Novel has also done alot for the Linux Community which Canonical has not.

I dont "hate" Novell, BTW, we had nvidia/ATI drivers way before Novell( I used SUSE had nvidia drivers on their update system even before Ubuntu popped up), Dont care much for mono, dont use it. Novell brought SUSE and all the devs working for them, nothing much has changed really.

Novell didn't know what to do with Linux, lucky they brought onboard the ximian people that did, they are the ones that really saved Novell.

BTW, we had nvidia drivers and 3d support pre 2.6 kernel so I dont know where you got your information from, you've not used Linux for long.

oedipuss
January 1st, 2009, 02:10 AM
Even if it does die, won't something else, possibly better or derived from it, take its place ?
I'd hate it if it did die, but isn't that what happens with open source projects?

Twitch6000
January 1st, 2009, 03:25 AM
I dont "hate" Novell, BTW, we had nvidia/ATI drivers way before Novell( I used SUSE had nvidia drivers on their update system even before Ubuntu popped up), Dont care much for mono, dont use it. Novell brought SUSE and all the devs working for them, nothing much has changed really.

Novell didn't know what to do with Linux, lucky they brought onboard the ximian people that did, they are the ones that really saved Novell.

BTW, we had nvidia drivers and 3d support pre 2.6 kernel so I dont know where you got your information from, you've not used Linux for long.

You do know before 2.6 in order to get Nvidia drivers working it required alot of heavy tweaking?

I have also never stated it was Novel alone who brought Nvidia into the Linux world.

Hell when it comes down to the end of the line it was still Nvidias choice to make the drivers.

Xanatos Craven
January 1st, 2009, 04:23 AM
When the hand finally melts into the forehead, do you mind checking your sarcasm meter? I think it's off.
Was clearly speaking WRT the OP, not you. No need for this.

That's nice that KDE4 has Kwin that has plenty of effects and whatnot, but what's Metacity's future? Is GNOME just sticking with basic effects or what? I really can't see interest in Compiz reaching a fatal low as long as Metacity remains as-is.

tjwoosta
January 1st, 2009, 04:50 AM
post canceled..

ellalan
January 1st, 2009, 12:04 PM
No way! Compiz is not dead, will not die and we will not let it die. I love it and many of us love it.

RichardLinx
January 1st, 2009, 12:50 PM
Compiz is not dead. However, I'm surprised someone would switch to another OS just because compiz were going to be discontinued. I guess this is probably due to people seeing a few compiz effects on youtube and deciding from then on that Microsoft are evil.

Half-Left
January 1st, 2009, 02:37 PM
You do know before 2.6 in order to get Nvidia drivers working it required alot of heavy tweaking?

I have also never stated it was Nvidia alone who brought Nvidia into the Linux world.

Hell when it comes down to the end of the line it was still Nvidias choice to make the drivers.

Not much from nowdays, something like sax2 -m 0=nvidia, anyone seasoned Linux user was able to do it easy and the online update told you how.

plun
January 1st, 2009, 02:51 PM
Compiz is not dead. However, I'm surprised someone would switch to another OS just because compiz were going to be discontinued. I guess this is probably due to people seeing a few compiz effects on youtube and deciding from then on that Microsoft are evil.

Well... I think Compiz is dead but maybe Compiz-Fusion can go on...

- Gnome must support it !!!!

- A built in GUI as with KDE4.2

I played a little with KDE4.2

http://ubuntu-pics.de/thumb/7840/mplayer3_mvx370.jpg (http://ubuntu-pics.de/bild/7840/mplayer3_mvx370.jpg)

KDE4.2 or Windows 7 maybe is the question ??? ):P

geoken
January 1st, 2009, 04:14 PM

What's wrong with choosing an OS based on it's window management? All I want my OS to do is have good window management/selection and good file management.

If I see a video showing an OS with what is seemingly an extremely advanced and extremely configurable window manager which allows me to work in a multi app environment at my maximum efficiency, then why shouldn't I choose the OS based on this?

tjwoosta
January 1st, 2009, 04:27 PM
What's wrong with choosing an OS based on it's window management? All I want my OS to do is have good window management/selection and good file management.

If I see a video showing an OS with what is seemingly an extremely advanced and extremely configurable window manager which allows me to work in a multi app environment at my maximum efficiency, then why shouldn't I choose the OS based on this?

first off..

even if compiz developement stopped today, it would still kick windows *** any day

do you really think aero can compete with the effects that compiz has already developed?

second..

compiz will not die, for one major reason, ITS OPEN SOURCE

opensource software never dies, it simply changes

developement may slow, or even come to a halt, but the software itself isn't going to just dissapear

someone else always comes along and makes it their own, especially with awesome software like compiz

third..

if maximum efficiency is what you truly desire you should try a tiling window manager like awesome, or wmii, or dwm, or xmonad

Half-Left
January 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM
first off..

even if compiz developement stopped today, it would still kick windows *** any day

do you really think aero can compete with the effects that compiz has already developed?

second..

compiz will not die, for one major reason, ITS OPEN SOURCE

opensource software never dies, it simply changes

developement may slow, or even come to a halt, but the software itself isn't going to just dissapear

someone else always comes along and makes it their own, especially with awesome software like compiz

third..

if maximum efficiency is what you truly desire you should try a tiling window manager like awesome, or wmii, or dwm, or xmonad

I think you missing the point, not to defend windows but compiz just does extra effects, if you want good and configurable window management, kwin beats the pants of both of them.

geoken
January 1st, 2009, 04:57 PM

I have, they're horribly inefficient for me. I do a lot of design work in a multi-app setup. The absolute last thing I need my WM to do is re-size a window. Hell, even in my day to day computing tasks (browsing internet, checking email, listening to music, browsing photos) I don't want my windows re-sized. For me, the functionality of a given app is tied closely to the size of it's window. Changing that size significantly reduces it's functionality.

I much prefer something like the scale plugin which lets me instantly switch to a tiled view when I need to select a window, then, once given focus, the window will return to the predefined size I have set for it.

Twitch6000
January 1st, 2009, 05:04 PM
I think you missing the point, not to defend windows but compiz just does extra effects, if you want good and configurable window management, kwin beats the pants of both of them.

+1 to this.

geoken
January 1st, 2009, 05:13 PM

I'm also glad KWin choose to take their own route. I've been endlessly frustrated by the feature regressions in the compiz merger and their unwillingness to fix them. In specific, the complete lack of thumbnail generation for minimized windows because king Reveman thinks it's a horrible, puppy killing hack.

forrestcupp
January 1st, 2009, 05:16 PM
For me the desktop effects are entirely pointless.As long as you recognize that entirely pointless "for me" doesn't necessarily mean entirely pointless for everyone.

That's purely opinion. I hate OS's that limit my window sizes.

Just because some people don't get use out of Compiz effects, it doesn't mean that it's that way for everyone. Just because I don't see any personal use for software that maps the genome doesn't mean that software like that shouldn't exist. Some effects are very useful for some people.

I agree that effects like the rain effect aren't very useful. But that doesn't mean that they aren't enjoyable to some people. It's ok to enjoy using your computer.

Besides, the main point of Compiz is not the effects. The main point of Compiz is that it is a compositing window manager, and it was one of the first ones for the X window system. A compositing WM is not about the effects; it's about using the graphics accelerated power of your GPU to draw your windows rather than relying on your processor, which is the old way. It only makes sense to use your video card to process your windows graphics rather than your CPU. That's what Compiz is really all about; the effects are just a nice bonus.

pirate_tux
January 1st, 2009, 05:18 PM

i am enabling compiz fx only if a friend ask me if ubuntu has any desktop fx or if a friend say to me : Hey Vista has plenty of good fx to manage windows etc :p

Well, I know it's only a matter of preference, but I personally wouldn't like to have that kind of frivolous friends...

I mean what kind of intellect does one must have in order to choose (or judge) an operating system by the crazy desktop effects it has?

I prefer to have friends with a more substantial intelect...

Sorivenul
January 1st, 2009, 05:18 PM
One dude on a mailing list calls Compiz dead. Therefore Compiz is dead.

You got some terrible logic going on in this thread.
This may be true, but there is a lot of power in rumors, especially ones perpetuated by a popular entity such as Phoronix.

Note: This is not the only post that brings up this point or something similar, and my comment is in no way directed at phrostbyte or any user in particular.

Islington
January 1st, 2009, 05:19 PM
yes because maximizing a window , having it generate a thumnail, and then reminimizing it, just so you can see what it looks like, is not a stupid hack. hacks are alright, according to me if they make some inkling of sense.

Islington
January 1st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Well, I know it's only a matter of preference, but I personally wouldn't like to have that kind of frivolous friends...

I mean what kind of intellect does one must have in order to choose (or judge) an operating system by the crazy desktop effects it has?

Since when is a sense of taste and design, a measure that a person lacks intelligence? Proper design and taste actually helps you work better.

tjwoosta
January 1st, 2009, 05:47 PM

correct me if im wrong but isn't kwin based off compiz?

and isn't gnome with compiz just as configurable, if not more configurable, then kde with kwin?

forrestcupp
January 1st, 2009, 06:46 PM

Lol.

So people who enjoy visuals are frivolous and non-intellectual. If you're going to be better than all of us non-intellectuals, then at least spell the word right. ;)

Mr. Picklesworth
January 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
I've always viewed Compiz as an experimental thing to get people interested in and to research possibilities present compositing window managers. It is designed for customization so that people can tinker and explore ideas for what effects can be applied to windows for the sake of usability.

With that in mind, it would not be surprising or upsetting to me if Compiz "died." It would be completely pointless if they tried to transform the thing into a stability-focussed window manager such as Metacity or KWin, largely because those window managers already exist. The bottom line is that some day, maybe even today, Compiz's goal will have been accomplished. So far it has done an admirable job of growing ideas and experience around window management tricks.

MikeTheC
January 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM
Since when is a sense of taste and design, a measure that a person lacks intelligence? Proper design and taste actually helps you work better.

It probably explains much, perhaps more than (s)he realizes... ;)

gn2
January 1st, 2009, 07:09 PM
As long as you recognize that entirely pointless "for me" doesn't necessarily mean entirely pointless for everyone.

Absolutely.

Useless car analogy time: some people choose their car based on colour appearance and image.

I prefer to look at reliability and fuel economy.

Dharmachakra
January 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM

Agreed. That was probably one of the most disdainful posts I've seen in a long time.

There are practical uses for Compiz. I like tiling windows but I want to do it on XFCE, so I use the tiling plugin. It's not true tiling but it gets the job done. I also use Expo because it helps me organize 12+ windows on the screen faster than a cube or "wall". I couldn't make an argument for wobbly windows but I'm sure someone else could. It's just simple taste, not sophistication or intelligence.

Half-Left
January 1st, 2009, 08:11 PM
correct me if im wrong but isn't kwin based off compiz?

and isn't gnome with compiz just as configurable, if not more configurable, then kde with kwin?

kwin is MUCH older then compiz, it's been KDE's window manager since the start :). Compiz mimics metacity(gnomes window manager), in fact it couldn't do much when they started it but do compositing.

kwin has lots of options for window management including window specific options to the point you can input them manually how each window is size, position ect... by "Configure Window behaviour"

olskar
January 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
i've kinda gotten sick of compiz effects actually...

+1

Changturkey
January 1st, 2009, 09:58 PM
KDE's integration/encompassing attitude seems to have paid off.

BigSilly
January 1st, 2009, 10:08 PM

Well I know what you mean. It's not something that I use so I wouldn't get in a tizzy over it, but it's a shame to see it struggling. I usually try it every time I install a new Ubuntu, find the same old issues, then switch it off. I put a lot of it down to my processor and graphics card not being that great to be honest (Sempron 2200+ with NVidia Geforce 6200 256Mb), but I don't know if I'm right. Either way, my PC's quicker without it at the moment!

ticopelp
January 2nd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Because wanting a pleasant, attractive computing environment is a sign of lack of intelligence. What snobbish nonsense.

I get a lot of real utility out of Compiz, and I'd hate to see it go away. I use window grouping, the window pickers, and a lot of the other features all the time.

If it goes away I'll be pretty disappointed. I can live with metacity, but I'd rather not.

geoken
January 2nd, 2009, 12:37 AM
yes because maximizing a window , having it generate a thumnail, and then reminimizing it, just so you can see what it looks like, is not a stupid hack. hacks are alright, according to me if they make some inkling of sense.

Great to find someone who I totally agree with.

Regarding this specific issue I've always been baffled where they draw the line between good coding and a hack. To me it always felt like the 'hack' label was merely a way for Reveman to dismiss the innovative work being done by beryl. The attribution of the term seemed totally arbitrary. They claimed this was a 'hack' because the correct method would have been to wait until the xserver had a native API that provided the thumbnails. This API would most likely be doing exactly what the beryl devs were doing, namely place the window in some off-screen/virtual location and draw it normally then supply the thumbnail to the app requesting it. Meanwhile, writing a new window manager and using XGL was completely legit??

toupeiro
January 2nd, 2009, 01:09 AM
Compiz is not only about spinning things and pizazz.. With a compositing window manager comes advancement in other areas such as better Vsync between the window manager and the hardware, and if you require framelocking quadrants, compositing seems to be able to take the tearing out of the picture, at this time, unfortunately, with the cost of an overall reduced FPS. These are still important advancements that couldnt be done without compiz. Make no mistake.. Compiz is far from dead. It represents the forward movement of a vital component to high end graphics on a linux OS. Cubes and wobbly windows are just tools. Compiz is a framework. If you don't like the house, its not the wood's fault....

Delever
January 2nd, 2009, 02:42 AM
Well, looking at it, it seems that "Is dead?" is call for something new.

thefiestysoldier
January 2nd, 2009, 03:01 AM
its not my MAIN reason but its definitely a GOOD reason, personally

Hyper Tails
January 2nd, 2009, 03:04 AM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
COMPIZ
NOOOOOOOOO!

I"L MISS COMPIZ!!!
WAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't stop compiz please
what next?
dimaoind?

RichardLinx
January 2nd, 2009, 04:49 AM
Cubes and wobbly windows are just tools
I consider them as bonus extras. :D Cubes and wobbly windows seem mostly pointless but I have to admit they sort of add a 'feel' to the OS, I don't use them anymore but I don't think their entirely pointless, as for the drawing fire effect.....

tjwoosta
January 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
if compiz is so dead, then why is there still so much activity at the website and forums, there is still no mention of compiz dying over there

i think this whole thread here is bunk

http://planet.compiz-fusion.org/

http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/

klange
January 2nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
if compiz is so dead, then why is there still so much activity at the website and forums, there is still no mention of compiz dying over there

I should go fix that...

Delever
January 2nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
It is simple: when you open this thread, Compiz dies. Just look at the problems in the beginners forum. I suggest closing this thread, because it kills Compiz. Every time.

tjwoosta
January 2nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
It is simple: when you open this thread, Compiz dies. Just look at the problems in the beginners forum. I suggest closing this thread, because it kills Compiz. Every time.
+1

i completely agree

I should go fix that...

dude.. the only thing that would accomplish would be to spread a bull$#!^ rumor, which simply should not be spread

if compiz was going to die, it should be up to the devs to tell everyone, not a bunch of ubuntu noobs who really dont know the whole story

gjoellee
January 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Why not do as the GRUB team is kinda doing. For GRUB2 they totally have rewritten their program. It is time to do that with compiz and reach version 1.0

Compiz goal is bringing an elegant desktop with effects that makes it easier/better to use. (Or what?)

We need Compiz, without Compiz MANY will leave Linux. MANY won't convert to Linux.

Delever
January 2nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Why not do as the GRUB team is kinda doing. For GRUB2 they totally have rewritten their program. It is time to do that with compiz and reach version 1.0

Compiz goal is bringing an elegant desktop with effects that makes it easier/better to use. (Or what?)

We need Compiz, without Compiz MANY will leave Linux. MANY won't convert to Linux.

There ARE rewrites. There are more developers interested in nice Desktop environment. There will be more of them in the future (faithful guess). Not all of them work on Compiz. Rewriting code must be beneficial, otherwise rewriting is pointless thing. There are many ways to do the same tasks, so when you rewrite, you need to fix another bugs.

BTW, it stopped working again? Damn thread!

klange
January 2nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure you guys really understand what Plun means by "dead". It's not Compiz can just disappear, never to be seen again. Distros will keep it around for a while - they already use outdated versions (just check out Fedora 10). Users have nothing to worry about, especially those who think we should stop working on new effects - because that what dead means: no more work. There are a number of projects being worked on to give Compiz a new direction, which is exactly what we need: a focus, some big goal we can work towards.

forrestcupp
January 2nd, 2009, 06:21 PM

You're right. But I think this thread has progressed to a bunch of people arguing about whether Compiz is useful or not.

And my answer for that is, if you find it useful, then use it. If you don't find it useful, then don't use it. But if I find it useful, don't try to talk me into thinking it's not.

Compiz is not dead.

tjwoosta
January 2nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure you guys really understand what Plun means by "dead". It's not Compiz can just disappear, never to be seen again. Distros will keep it around for a while - they already use outdated versions (just check out Fedora 10). Users have nothing to worry about, especially those who think we should stop working on new effects - because that what dead means: no more work. There are a number of projects being worked on to give Compiz a new direction, which is exactly what we need: a focus, some big goal we can work towards.

sure i understand that, but the problem is that the word "dead" is a strong word, and most of the people who stumble across a thread thats titled "is compiz dead" followed by a bunch of responses like "o well compiz is useless anyway" or "well i guess its time to go back to windows" dont seem to understand it that way.

tjwoosta
January 2nd, 2009, 06:59 PM
lol
looks like they just updated the compiz website

dying and we need to fix it, is much better then dead!

Kevin Lange a.k.a OasisGames wrote:
Anyway, Compiz isn't dead yet. Far from it. We have new plugin devs, great plans for the core, and a lot of potential direction. We just need some agreement on where we should go.

-grubby
January 2nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
put a lot of it down to my processor and graphics card not being that great to be honest (Sempron 2200+ with NVidia Geforce 6200 256Mb)

By pure coincidence, I seem to have similar specs (Sempron 3100+, Nvidia 6100 128 MB) and Compiz used to run fine :/.

Delever
January 2nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
lol
looks like they just updated the compiz website

dying and we need to fix it, is much better then dead!

Damnit. I was right, now I am wrong. How did that happen? :D

klange
January 2nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Damnit. I was right, now I am wrong. How did that happen? :D

I did this thing called post to my blog and tag it with "compiz".

tjwoosta
January 2nd, 2009, 07:19 PM
Damnit. I was right, now I am wrong. How did that happen?

youre not wrong

it still is these type of threads that do more damage then good

if they hadnt changed the compiz website people would still be speculating as to what is really happening

its good to hear it straight from the devs and not from an unofficial source like the ubuntu forums because people will always post thoughtless comments when they dont really know what they are talking about, whereas the devs at compiz really do know what they are talking about

big difference!

they will sort out all the bull$#!^ and reveal the truth

Delever
January 2nd, 2009, 07:24 PM
youre not wrong

it still is these type of threads that do more damage then good

Well right or wrong - thats one of my nerdy jokes...

Like...: Of course Compiz is dying, because it uses OpenGL, and it was dead a while ago in another thread.

MikeTheC
January 2nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
I'm thinking we should compose an album entitled... oh, what shall we call it... hmm, oh! How about "Le Compiz Est Mort, Vive Le Compiz!" ?

Delever
January 2nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
I'm thinking we should compose an album entitled... oh, what shall we call it... hmm, oh! How about "Le Compiz Est Mort, Vive Le Compiz!" ?

Yeah, I will try to sing in Hungarian notation.

plun
January 2nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
I did this thing called post to my blog and tag it with "compiz".

Thanks for that....!!!

Someone must also visit the Gnome-cathedral and also the Duke Nukem forever fanclub...

Compare this with KDE4.2 and kwin...

MikeTheC
January 2nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I will try to sing in Hungarian notation.

Is that different from any other kind of notation?

SmSpillaz
January 3rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
So I'm probably late to the game here as a developer of Compiz, but I'd like to point out that there are a few misinformed things happening here on this thread.

First of all compiz is not dead, it is dying. People are still working on it, even though that work really all equates to nothing.

Second of all, compiz is not alive and well. I hate to break it to you, but this really is the case. The fact is that compiz is really just sitting there stagnating. Nothing is happening. There is no direction, etc. Some might say that compiz is simply 'maturing', which is half-true from a user's point of view but certainly not true from a developers point of view. The situation has actually been like this for a long time, none of the core maintainers really intended to be the core maintainers and not one of us in the entire developer team can really say that they fully understand the code. We had one developer who did fully understand the code and was a paid full-time developer, David Reveman, who actually wrote compiz in the first place, decided that it was time to rewrite compiz, half-completed the job and then dropped off the face of the map. He came back later to tell maniac and onestone that they were the new project leaders, said he would post a mailing list message about it and then we never heard from him again. (The inside joke here is that he filters out all mails with [COMPIZ] in the title).

So what are we left with. A project with absolutely no direction, no community and development structure, no goals, no documentation, developers who didn't actually intend to be the maintainers, they just got the job thrust upon them and no proper communication with each other. The code is still quite hard to read and uses some dark magic to make things happen.

Have any of you ever noticed that the only real features that ever get added to compiz are pretty much all unofficial plugins now anyways?

As for compiz++, I personally like the idea of supporting a language that supports true object orientated programming at it's core without writing squillions more lines of code for the same effect (I'm looking at you GObject, object-framework branch!). Rewriting to C++ gave onestone the oppurtunity to re-think parts of core and fix some longstanding issues (i.e being able to run compiz as a normal window manager without any opengl, compiz, reparented decorations, smarter plugin hooks etc.).

Of course with any proposal to use C++ instead of C you are bound to get all the g* people on one side of the fence saying that 'C++ is bad because Linus said it was' or 'C++ is slow, GObject is a superior solution because it works better with GNOME' and all the newer developers and KDE people on the other saying that 'C++ allows you to do all kinds of cool things with STL etc'. It's a debate that will never end unfortunately and a vote is more likely than not going to drive people out in the end.

(On a side note, it's already possible to write plugins in C++, you just need a whole bunch of wrappers to do so and it would be faster to have a C++ core with C++ plugins than a C core with C++ plugins).

I think Kristian does have a point with all these proposed reworks. Everyone is developing something in secret that will change everything, MPXIR support, compiz++, NOMAD, object-framework etc. But in the end there is still no direction. 'So we've merged compiz++, now what?'

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that Kristian Lyngstol, who posted that mail is actually a very well-respected compiz developer and contributor, and is usually the one who thinks before he types and sees the big picture rather clearly. So yes, you should take his word seriously.

As for 'WindowsSucks' posting 'Compiz is dying' on his blog, it doesn't mean that 'Compiz' posted it on their webpage. It just means that his post got syndicated to the C-F planet portal. I could post 'blah de blah blah blah' on my blog and it would end up there.

It also doesn't make him right and Kristian wrong. What he is saying in this case is completely true (even if I'm not sure about the new direction that we're heading in, we have a bunch of single-developer ideas, but no actual goals as a project). In fact, mailing lists are really only used by the '(hard)core' developers so you should probably trust them more.

But thanks to WindowsSucks A.K.A OasisGames for really making the Ubuntu community aware of this.

Canonical: Can we have some developers now? :P

- Sm

steveneddy
January 3rd, 2009, 05:49 AM

You're going to 7 because of this?

What a ridiculous statement.

I will admit that Beryl development was cooking along much faster than the current Compiz seems to be.

I miss the beryl days.

I still have about 10 or so of the last builds on the server.

SmSpillaz
January 3rd, 2009, 07:48 AM
I will admit that Beryl development was cooking along much faster than the current Compiz seems to be.

The reason is in short, we had 14 committed developers back then and about 3 committed developers right now (with 4-5 unofficial developers with some commitment).

The situation is getting better, we're slowly starting to see some of the developers back from those day re-join the team (or at least participate in discussions on IRC and mail)

generic_idea_machine
January 3rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
i've kinda gotten sick of compiz effects actually...

+1

3rdalbum
January 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
The exciting phase of Compiz/Beryl is over. Now that Compiz isn't exciting anymore, it's no longer a developer magnet.

Compositing on Linux is not dead. Kwin is a pretty good compositing window manager with the added bonus of being able to work non-composited, and special hooks for KDE integration. There are some Compiz-like special effects like wobbly windows, zooming, painting onto the screen, exploding windows. Once they sort out some of those performance issues with Plasma, it'll be great.

Erunno
January 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
...snip...

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

BLTicklemonster
January 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Pfft, let it die, I'm using icewm in my ubuntu-64 with 2 gigs of ram and a 1 gig nvidia video card. Compiz runs great if I'm in gnome, but ... I can't like go spinning my cube around while I'm browsing the internet now, can I?

Bling bling bling thunk.

toupeiro
January 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
So I'm probably late to the game here as a developer of Compiz, but I'd like to point out that there are a few misinformed things happening here on this thread.

First of all compiz is not dead, it is dying. People are still working on it, even though that work really all equates to nothing.

Second of all, compiz is not alive and well. I hate to break it to you, but this really is the case. The fact is that compiz is really just sitting there stagnating. Nothing is happening. There is no direction, etc. Some might say that compiz is simply 'maturing', which is half-true from a user's point of view but certainly not true from a developers point of view. The situation has actually been like this for a long time, none of the core maintainers really intended to be the core maintainers and not one of us in the entire developer team can really say that they fully understand the code. We had one developer who did fully understand the code and was a paid full-time developer, David Reveman, who actually wrote compiz in the first place, decided that it was time to rewrite compiz, half-completed the job and then dropped off the face of the map. He came back later to tell maniac and onestone that they were the new project leaders, said he would post a mailing list message about it and then we never heard from him again. (The inside joke here is that he filters out all mails with [COMPIZ] in the title).

So what are we left with. A project with absolutely no direction, no community and development structure, no goals, no documentation, developers who didn't actually intend to be the maintainers, they just got the job thrust upon them and no proper communication with each other. The code is still quite hard to read and uses some dark magic to make things happen.

Have any of you ever noticed that the only real features that ever get added to compiz are pretty much all unofficial plugins now anyways?

As for compiz++, I personally like the idea of supporting a language that supports true object orientated programming at it's core without writing squillions more lines of code for the same effect (I'm looking at you GObject, object-framework branch!). Rewriting to C++ gave onestone the oppurtunity to re-think parts of core and fix some longstanding issues (i.e being able to run compiz as a normal window manager without any opengl, compiz, reparented decorations, smarter plugin hooks etc.).

Of course with any proposal to use C++ instead of C you are bound to get all the g* people on one side of the fence saying that 'C++ is bad because Linus said it was' or 'C++ is slow, GObject is a superior solution because it works better with GNOME' and all the newer developers and KDE people on the other saying that 'C++ allows you to do all kinds of cool things with STL etc'. It's a debate that will never end unfortunately and a vote is more likely than not going to drive people out in the end.

(On a side note, it's already possible to write plugins in C++, you just need a whole bunch of wrappers to do so and it would be faster to have a C++ core with C++ plugins than a C core with C++ plugins).

I think Kristian does have a point with all these proposed reworks. Everyone is developing something in secret that will change everything, MPXIR support, compiz++, NOMAD, object-framework etc. But in the end there is still no direction. 'So we've merged compiz++, now what?'

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that Kristian Lyngstol, who posted that mail is actually a very well-respected compiz developer and contributor, and is usually the one who thinks before he types and sees the big picture rather clearly. So yes, you should take his word seriously.

As for 'WindowsSucks' posting 'Compiz is dying' on his blog, it doesn't mean that 'Compiz' posted it on their webpage. It just means that his post got syndicated to the C-F planet portal. I could post 'blah de blah blah blah' on my blog and it would end up there.

It also doesn't make him right and Kristian wrong. What he is saying in this case is completely true (even if I'm not sure about the new direction that we're heading in, we have a bunch of single-developer ideas, but no actual goals as a project). In fact, mailing lists are really only used by the '(hard)core' developers so you should probably trust them more.

But thanks to WindowsSucks A.K.A OasisGames for really making the Ubuntu community aware of this.

- Sm

How can people who see the long term benefits compiz brings to Linux participate in the development and direction of it? Do developers on this project seem to care more about providing flashy plugins, or seamless functionality?

I may not be representing the opinions of vast majority of home linux users, but hear me out: If compiz dies, then I think many visualization futures on Linux will suffer greatly... From my point of view, I don't think the majority enterprise businesses with a linux presence has fully seen what the current builds of compiz can bring to linux in high-end visualization setups. Granted its not 100% there yet, It feels close, and is certainly better than not having compiz at all. The alternative is very expensive, and very proprietary. I'm not talking about LCD's as much as I am talking about Vsync control using high end projectors and VERY large screens (3840x2160@4 blended inputs). So as I said, I see compiz as a framework, a very important one on any distribution, and I would like to help in any way I can.

-T.

etnlIcarus
January 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
Only just saw this thread. Copy + pasta from Phoronix forums:

Compiz has changed window management on *nix forever so even if the project can't reinvent itself, it's not as if the death of compiz is necessarily going to be the death of the functionality or effects it's given users.

My personal preference - while perhaps unrealistic - would be for compiz to become a generic architecture with an API that other window managers could utilise.

Basic window management and desirable behaviour has never been compiz's strength so this would give users the more refined and flexible approach of using their window manager of choice, which could utilise compiz in much the same way xfwm4 and metacity utilise xcompmgr. Meanwhile, the focus of the compiz project could be on stability*, compatibility** and in developing a more user-friendly way for users to selectively choose effects/functions plugins (to use a strained analogy - like in, "the fire fox").

Another advantage of compiz becoming essentially invisible is more than just other window managers could take advantage of the API: gnome-panel, xfce4-panel and plasma could provide access to functionality in the humble form of buttons, liberating me at least from either having to use cryptic keyboard shortcuts or a 'hot corner', just to access the functionality I've enabled.

* **granted, much of compiz's stability relies on everything from x.org, the video drivers and the graphic libraries.

Frankly, I'd be happy if xfwm4 could just do the shift-switch, scale, expo and wall plugins. They're about the only plugins I use, anyway.

forrestcupp
January 3rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
We had one developer who did fully understand the code and was a paid full-time developer, David Reveman, who actually wrote compiz in the first place, decided that it was time to rewrite compiz, half-completed the job and then dropped off the face of the map. He came back later to tell maniac and onestone that they were the new project leaders, said he would post a mailing list message about it and then we never heard from him again. (The inside joke here is that he filters out all mails with [COMPIZ] in the title).
Does Novell still back Compiz? If so, why don't they hire one of you guys to take David Reveman's place? I'm sure that would be a bigger motivation for someone to step up and be "the core developer".

Out of curiosity, does Quinn still work with the project?

SmSpillaz
January 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
Does Novell still back Compiz? [QUOTE]

Not as far as I know. There is Matthias Hopf, but he hasn't made any real contributions in the last year

If so, why don't they hire one of you guys to take David Reveman's place? I'm sure that would be a bigger motivation for someone to step up and be "the core developer".

Don't know. Maybe they always saw compiz as a research project and felt the need to focus their developers on more practical things.

I don't know what Canonical's stance is on this, but having compiz enabled by default surely shows that they are interested it making it work.

I can't really say too much on the matter, but I do know of someone who may be working on the Desktop Experience team soon, and who has been asked to work on compiz as part of that.

Out of curiosity, does Quinn still work with the project?

She used to have a full-time job, but is recently unemployed and may be able to help out. I may be misinformed by saying this, but I really think Quinn was more of a leader than a developer, making the occasional code contribution here and there.

plun
January 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM

- Sm

Hello Sam

Thanks for your contributions to the Compiz-Fusion project... just great !! :D

A new project needs support from the Gnome-Cathedral also from Ubuntu which constantly sabotaget Compiz for "newbies"...

Where is the cube ??... aha install simple-ccsm or ccsm...:confused::confused:

I have KDE 4.2 installed and kwin has it...

We can also wait with playing Duke Nukem forever a year or maybe two..8)

Just tragic to watch this mess....:(

forrestcupp
January 3rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
She used to have a full-time job, but is recently unemployed and may be able to help out. I may be misinformed by saying this, but I really think Quinn was more of a leader than a developer, making the occasional code contribution here and there.
A leader is what you guys said you need, isn't it? You've got some devs; you just need direction.

plun
January 3rd, 2009, 11:00 PM
A leader is what you guys said you need, isn't it? You've got some devs; you just need direction.

No Compiz needs that Gnome supports it and also Ubuntus Desktop team..
(even if it means that a proprietary driver is needed, nVidias)

Perhaps to start with Gnomes Mr Vuntz ???

cardinals_fan
January 3rd, 2009, 11:26 PM

Don't waste your time. NVIDIA doesn't care about their customers and is unlikely to start any time soon. Consider yourself lucky if you can get more than a one-pixel-wide bar showing on your monitor, because I can't.

/rant

Ruyuk
January 3rd, 2009, 11:28 PM
What's Compiz?

etnlIcarus
January 4th, 2009, 02:49 AM
What's Compiz?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz

bruce89
January 4th, 2009, 03:00 AM
No Compiz needs that Gnome supports it and also Ubuntus Desktop team..

Perhaps to start with Gnomes Mr Vuntz ???

GNOME does not support Compiz, they support Metacity. Also, Ubuntu will be the first to drop Compiz if Metacity's compositor gets better.

SmSpillaz
January 4th, 2009, 03:26 AM

Yes and No.

A charismatic leader is nice to have because it means that everyone can respect one decision and get on with the job, although I don't really think that it will apply well to this kind of project simply because there is no real candidate for that position, and you can't just slap someone into the 'leader' position who hasn't been with the project for a while.

I think what matters to us most is some kind of board within the project that will allow us to decide our roadmaps for every release. Ideally, we can probably implement some of the ideas at wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Development/Proposals on the road to 1.0

LuisAugusto
January 19th, 2009, 07:14 AM
As it current state, there are only 2 compiz fusion developers (the rest abandoned the project), here you can read a small quote from one dev:

To finish, let me end with a quote from an Linux user that really sums
up our situation quite clearly:

"Dramatically ugly, unusable, slow, badly animated and unconsistent.
Open source development without a serious, expert mantainers can
result in chaotic grouth of the project and waste of human resources
into pointless code. The Compiz-Fusion project is certainly the most
representative example of all this"

hotweiss
January 19th, 2009, 07:20 AM
repost

LuisAugusto
January 19th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Oops, I didn't know. I actually look for a similar thread, sorry :-/

Mr. Picklesworth
January 19th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Seems like KDE devs did the right thing when they decided to improve KWIN instead of relying on Compiz.

GNOME is doing the same thing with Gnome-Shell, which has a fancy new Metacity (nicknamed Mutter) glowing with composited effects, but only when it needs them.

jrusso2
January 19th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Personally I can live without it. I turn it on just to look at it for a minute but I can't stand to use it every day.

LuisAugusto
January 19th, 2009, 07:54 AM
GNOME is doing the same thing with Gnome-Shell, which has a fancy new Metacity (nicknamed Mutter) glowing with composited effects, but only when it needs them.

Yes, I know, but KDE did it like 2/3 years ago when Compiz was the bomb, and they were extremely attacked by the community who said: You're just wasting man power. Ironically, it seems that it was completely the opposite XD

halovivek
January 19th, 2009, 08:07 AM
This is really worrying. if compiz is dead which one will over take that one?

MikeTheC
January 19th, 2009, 08:11 AM
This mentality kind of troubles me. Here's why...

See, I understand the purpose and advantages to multiplicity and plurality and all that jazz. It's a great way to put a lot of "best people" on different projects to see which is the best, or which one settles out as the most popular amongst their user community (in this case, I primarily mean desktop environment project developers, and secondarily application project developers, not "end user" folk). That could mean 2 or 3 or 5 different 3D desktop environments, and that's just great.

But sooner or later, through forces of competition and politics and practicality, one of them needs to settle out as the winner. Now, Linux being the (at least theoretically) "egalitarian" platform that it is, the winner should be the one which is the best of the lot. Best can mean a lot of things to a lot of different people, but the way I would define it would be:

1. Overall best design concept and philosophy;
2. Overall cleanest code;
3. Overall most safely, sanely and stably-implementable by the various DEs;
4. Overall most fault-tolerant;
5. Overall most scalable based on hardware resources;
6. Overall most stable and dependable in it's own right (using Debian's "Stable", "Unstable" and "Testing" as a benchmark)

Apple uses a very tasteful (though not quite as elaborate) 3D environment on their systems with no ill consequences. Why in the heck can't we? Surely Apple's dev team can't be better than Linux's... can they?

Why is it we're so afraid of competing with what Apple does (at least overtly or officially) that we have to invent a plethora of excuses to justify why what Apple does is some "evil corporate DRM-ified or vendor-lock-in (or whatever) scheme" and so we, naturally, couldn't possibly do anything like that? Hmm? I'm getting a little tired of the excuses. And while I'm all for decentralized operations and plurality of design and such, it's no excuse for lack of true leadership.

Mr. Mark Shuttleworth, get off your a** and start leading.

LuisAugusto
January 19th, 2009, 08:15 AM
How in the world is that related to Compiz critical state? >.>

As far as I see, Kwin Composite is kick ***, well integrated and has a ton of real WM features. And the fancy stuff!. Metacity is trying to go this way too.

All you said is off-topic, even if I partially agree in some.

I'm have no clue on why we have zypper, yum, portage (well, maybe this one is justified), apt, even, when Conary is better than all those! XD. But that's another topic, and it doesn't belong here ;-P

-grubby
January 19th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Mr. Mark Shuttleworth, get off your a** and start leading.

I have this odd feeling that Mark Shuttleworth has nothing to do with Compiz development.

Trail
January 19th, 2009, 09:09 AM

if (!op->troll) bye;

hessiess
January 19th, 2009, 11:32 AM
compiz is useless anyway, does it actually have one feature that increses productivity insted of wasting time with pointless animations.

v8YKxgHe
January 19th, 2009, 11:38 AM
compiz is useless anyway, does it actually have one feature that increses productivity insted of wasting time with pointless animations.

Yes, actually it does. My entire workflow is based around compiz - remove that and I slow down dramatically. Sure, it has loads of pointless animations however if you select a few you can really use them to your benefit.

artilec
January 19th, 2009, 02:51 PM
This is really worrying. if compiz is dead which one will over take that one?

Gnome3

mips
January 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Gnome3

Or you could use kwin for now...

uberdonkey5
January 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM

I thought exactly the same for a long time. Some of the effects are definately useless (like wobbly windows). However, I have started to use more desktops recently, and the 3d cube is perfect to see quickly which desktop I want to go to (looking at the little desktop icons is not good enough), and neither is going from one desktop to another. The 3d cube helps my brain organise my desktops.

For me linux is about functionality. However certain things in compiz are extremely useful. Ubuntu definately has a benefit over windows by allowing multiple desktops, and compiz definately assists this aspect.

hessiess
January 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I thought exactly the same for a long time. Some of the effects are definately useless (like wobbly windows). However, I have started to use more desktops recently, and the 3d cube is perfect to see quickly which desktop I want to go to (looking at the little desktop icons is not good enough), and neither is going from one desktop to another. The 3d cube helps my brain organise my desktops.

For me linux is about functionality. However certain things in compiz are extremely useful. Ubuntu definately has a benefit over windows by allowing multiple desktops, and compiz definately assists this aspect.

Personally I use a tiling window manger. everything on a tag is always visible and its easy to remember which tag number you put particular windows on. Same result, less horsepower needed.

SomeGuyDude
January 19th, 2009, 05:54 PM

Scale is INSANELY useful. I only slightly miss Compiz in general (though lately I've been tempted to run it standalone...) but scale was a fantastic plugin if you had a boatload of windows going. I had it bind to the upper-right corner and it was effortless to sift through all my windows.

hanzomon4
January 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I've always used Compiz, it was one of the main reasons I put up with linux constantly doing stupid things. I guess I'll start using kde4.

MaxIBoy
January 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Window previews are helpful. Actually, wobbly windows are helpful as well. Not only do windows have some weight and physics to them (which helps my brain connect to them,) it also allows me to peek behind a maximized window and glance at my conky display. Transparent windows help me when I do homework (transparent word processor so I can look at what's on the calculator behind it.) And without compiz, I wouldn't be able to have a cool integrated console:

plun
January 31st, 2009, 08:55 PM
Linux Hater's Blog

Wobbly Compiz

Ah Compiz, the darling of the freetard community. How many users were led to carnal bliss by your wobbling windows? How many were not heard from for several weeks as they navigated the wild expanse known as the CompizConfig Settings Manager?

Oh what is that you say LWN, diligent summarizer of freetardery? You say compiz is dying? And in true open source fashion?

To be continued.....

http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/2009/01/wobbly-compiz.html

OpenSource kills itself....;)#-o](*,)

FuturePilot
January 31st, 2009, 09:20 PM
Linux Hater's Blog

To be continued.....

http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/2009/01/wobbly-compiz.html

OpenSource kills itself....;)#-o](*,)

An interesting response to that. Especially interesting is the bottom. Compiz++ is the future.
http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/apparantly-were-hated-now/

plun
January 31st, 2009, 10:05 PM
An interesting response to that. Especially interesting is the bottom. Compiz++ is the future.
http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/apparantly-were-hated-now/

Yup I read Sams blog also, a thank to him !

But nothing from the Gnome Cathedral since this started, Metacity....](*,)

The crap won...:sad:

Gulyan
January 31st, 2009, 11:26 PM
Mail

Blasphemy :D

etnlIcarus
February 1st, 2009, 03:33 AM
Glad to see the real Linux Hater's Blog back up and running. Also, anyone who has the wobbly window plugin enabled needs to DIAF.

Twitch6000
February 1st, 2009, 04:09 AM
Glad to see the real Linux Hater's Blog back up and running. Also, anyone who has the wobbly window plugin enabled needs to DIAF.

I am sorry if I sound stupid,but what does DIAF mean lol?

etnlIcarus
February 1st, 2009, 04:26 AM
I am sorry if I sound stupid,but what does DIAF mean lol?

Die In A Fire. And it's not stupid, I'm not sure if that acronym is even used widely, myself.

Twitch6000
February 1st, 2009, 04:31 AM
Die In A Fire. And it's not stupid, I'm not sure if that acronym is even used widely, myself.

Humm if it means that then it seems I need to make a fire and jump in it :-\" .

*starts making a fire*

FuturePilot
February 1st, 2009, 04:35 AM

But that's the best plugin ever!

SunnyRabbiera
February 1st, 2009, 04:56 AM
Mail
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/compiz/2008-December/003236.html

Seriously if you only use a computer for effects, stop using a computer!

Feh, I just like the effect okay but I can live without it...

But compiz I doubt is going anywhere, it has started something and I think there will always be a fork of it of some kind.
But soon Compiz might be not needed anyhow, both KDE and gnome are gaining compositing engines...
KDE 4.2 already matches compiz almost blow for blow with its effects and those effects seem to be good on memory too though it looks like compiz is much lighter.
I look right at my system monitor and the effects engine in kde 4.2 seems pretty small.
Metacity still has a bit to go but it too promises to be decent.