PDA

View Full Version : what's the most stable linux desktop setup youve ever tried?

jeromey
December 31st, 2008, 06:52 PM
i just want to know what is the most stable combination of distros, apps, and window managers that you have ever tried

command line only environments don't count

oldos2er
December 31st, 2008, 07:02 PM
"command line only environments don't count"

Why not? If you're looking for stability, I don't know why you'd overlook a CLI environment. There's a reason most server software is CLI only.

I suppose the most stable GUI for me has been xfce on Vector Linux.

Eisenwinter
December 31st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Openbox on Arch Linux.

chucky chuckaluck
December 31st, 2008, 07:07 PM
openbox is so stable, i have to install kde every once in a while just to wake myself up.

inxygnuu
December 31st, 2008, 07:09 PM
Ubuntu. I just joined Linux recently, and I am going to try arch soon. looks promising!:):D:KS

Rokurosv
December 31st, 2008, 07:10 PM
Gnome on Arch Linux, I've tried LXDE and KDE but they both had a few bugs. Then I turned to the old familiar Gnome, I just love GTK apps :D. I've never had a problem with Gnome in other distros.

jeromey
December 31st, 2008, 07:31 PM
so far it sounds like arch with openbox and gtk apps rules

chucky chuckaluck
December 31st, 2008, 07:47 PM
so far it sounds like arch with openbox and gtk apps rules

i've been using some non-kde qt4 apps and they're pretty good with openbox on arch.

LookTJ
December 31st, 2008, 08:02 PM
Gnome/Openbox on Arch I would say.

PurposeOfReason
December 31st, 2008, 08:10 PM
Gnome/beryl(not compiz) on gentoo. :popcorn: I just didn't have the time to keep it up to date.

mips
December 31st, 2008, 09:17 PM
I would not call Arch the "most" stable distro out there. For that I would pick a BSD or Debian but they are not the most up to date either. There's always a compromise :)

hellz99
December 31st, 2008, 09:25 PM
I would not call Arch the "most" stable distro out there. For that I would pick a BSD or Debian

I'd have to agree. Just cause Arch is "simple" doesn't make it the more stable. Honestly I think my ubuntu is pretty stable. gentoo has hardened builds as well that are quite stable.

Jengajam2
December 31st, 2008, 09:29 PM
Slackware with GWARE for GNOME.

Dr Small
December 31st, 2008, 09:48 PM
openbox on arch linux.
++++1

mips
December 31st, 2008, 09:56 PM
I'd have to agree. Just cause Arch is "simple" doesn't make it the more stable. Honestly I think my ubuntu is pretty stable. gentoo has hardened builds as well that are quite stable.

Arch is up there with the top guys when it comes to stability. Their packages are vanilla which helps. Breakage rarely occurs but when it does it is due to some upgrade which the user is ultimately responsible for.

handy
December 31st, 2008, 11:06 PM
Arch is up there with the top guys when it comes to stability. Their packages are vanilla which helps. Breakage rarely occurs but when it does it is due to some upgrade which the user is ultimately responsible for.

& the upgrade can be downgraded in a matter of moments & you have your pre-bug stability back again.

Warpnow
January 1st, 2009, 12:45 AM
Xubuntu has been very stable in my experience, much stabler than other Ubuntu variants. Just my experience, though.