PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu getting slower as I upgrade?

flyingsliverfin
December 31st, 2008, 04:31 PM
I just upgraded from 6.10->7.04->7.10 and each time I restart the computer it seems to keep getting slower.

This is an ancient laptop, from sometime like ... 2000? anyway, it has about 256 Mb of ram, 24 GB of HD, and 866MHz of CPU. do I need to add more Ram of something like that to make the system work faster? I heard sometime that 8.10 is for some reason faster than 8.04. Should I keep upgrading until I reach 8.10? I would like this computer work faster :)

oilchangeguy
December 31st, 2008, 04:40 PM
I just upgraded from 6.10->7.04->7.10 and each time I restart the computer it seems to keep getting slower.

This is an ancient laptop, from sometime like ... 2000? anyway, it has about 256 Mb of ram, 24 GB of HD, and 866MHz of CPU. do I need to add more Ram of something like that to make the system work faster? I heard sometime that 8.10 is for some reason faster than 8.04. Should I keep upgrading until I reach 8.10? I would like this computer work faster :)

one problem is upgrading sometimes causes more problems than it solves. another problem is the power of your machine. you can't expect newer, and newer operating systems to perform better than older ones. it's like trying to run a corvette with a 4 cylinder engine. if you can add more ram, that would help. (maybe)