PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Problems installing ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop

hcstorm
December 31st, 2008, 04:25 PM
Hi guys
I am a complete newbie to linux and heard from a few friends on the net that ubuntu is the most popular to use for beginners.:P When trying to run Ubuntu on my laptop the screen just changes color and stays that way. I can hear something is happening in the background due to sounds comming from the laptop. So I suppose it has something to do with the graphics drivers or such.

I would appreciate some assitance in this matter.:confused:
Laptop specks
Packard Bell Easy note
Intell Pentium (R) M 2.0 Ghz with 1Gig Ram
It has a Nvidia Geforce Go 6200 graphics card

thraxy
December 31st, 2008, 04:28 PM
Is this a problem with running the liveCD, or have you actually installed the operating system?

hcstorm
December 31st, 2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the reply!
It's a problem while running the live cd. Tried making a new one but the problem persists. Even let it run for a while to see if something doesn't happen. Nothing. It also happens when I try to install the operating system.

thraxy
January 1st, 2009, 11:49 AM
The problem could be the ISO file. You could try downloading it again and trying to burn another CD. Or if you have a USB flash drive and your computer can boot from USB, there's an easier way.

You can download unetbootin from http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Run that and you can choose Ubuntu from the dropdown menu at the top. That will then automatically download and extract the liveUSB files to the USB drive.

After that, all you need to do is boot from USB.

theozzlives
January 1st, 2009, 11:56 AM
You can download the alternate CD and install from that, you can also boot to the menu on the live CD and hit F4... choose safe graphics mode.

hcstorm
January 1st, 2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Finally got it running by using the safe graphics mode.