PDA

View Full Version : AMD unleashes open-source 3D code

wolfen69
December 31st, 2008, 07:57 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/31/amd_open_source_3d_code/

good news for ATI users. :D

bufsabre666
December 31st, 2008, 08:24 AM
good news to linux users period, its nice already being able to boot a live cd and have the desktop widescreen and 2d accel. but when all the effects work its ganna be great

PryGuy
December 31st, 2008, 08:29 AM
Great news for all of us! nVidia, it's your turn now... :-\"

Private_Ops
December 31st, 2008, 08:40 AM
Sweet, I've got an HD4830 so this is cool. Even though the drivers are well off in the future.

Grant A.
December 31st, 2008, 08:48 AM
Great news for all of us! nVidia, it's your turn now... :-\"

NVidia uses too much stuff licensed from other people in their drivers, so they won't be able to OS them. :(

PryGuy
December 31st, 2008, 11:47 AM
NVidia uses too much stuff licensed from other people in their drivers, so they won't be able to OS them. :(I start saving money on ATI GPU then... ;)

mips
December 31st, 2008, 04:11 PM
I start saving money on ATI GPU then... ;)

Problem is the ATI drivers are not on par with the nVidia ones yet. I will only switch when the drivers are on par or better.

Twitch6000
December 31st, 2008, 04:56 PM
I never thought I would see ATI Opening their graphics card's.

Now this is just wow....

PryGuy
January 1st, 2009, 05:02 PM

Now this is just wow....I think that's the only way for them to survive.

Swagman
January 1st, 2009, 05:14 PM
I think that's the only way for them to survive.

You could well be right, Necessity breeds innovation.
It actually costs them nothing as OS coders do the grunt and they sell heaps of graphics cards to us.

That might be just the cash influx they need to bring their new cpu to fruition.

Who knows ?

All I know is that I will be building a new rig around February time and if ati have native 3d drivers for linux then I will consider buying over nvidia.

kjb34
January 1st, 2009, 05:43 PM
This is great news.:D Now i may consider an ATI graphics card when upgrade my old one in the next few months.

igknighted
January 1st, 2009, 06:04 PM

Now this is just wow....

They've been releasing code and specs for almost the whole past year now, hence why the radeonhd driver is flying in development, especially compared to nouveau.

Twitch6000
January 1st, 2009, 06:19 PM
They've been releasing code and specs for almost the whole past year now, hence why the radeonhd driver is flying in development, especially compared to nouveau.

True,but I thought that was only for certain parts of the card or something.(eg. only 2D)

I might have mis understood.

MaxIBoy
January 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM
Before, only 2D code was released. Over the course of about a year, ATI has been releasing some 3D code, one model of graphics card at a time. Now, a lot more 3D code has been released, so the open-source drivers should have 3D acceleration for more cards soon. (That's how I understand it, anyway.)

jrusso2
January 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM
I am not convinced that Open Source is the best way to make current drivers. Those same ATI cards have Windows drivers that work. Only waiting for years for the Linux drivers to catch up.

The Intel cards that are open don't seem to keep up with the curent Intel versions. Only the Nvidia cards which are not open seem to keep current.

MikeTheC
January 1st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Competition is always a good thing. nVidia had better figure something out and quick, otherwise it may well be "game-over" for them. I know it may seem silly to say it now, but far bigger, richer and significant companies than them have failed -- some seemingly overnight -- and those who fail to pay attention to emerging trends and threats are often consumed by them.

chris200x9
January 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM
looks like I may be going AMD next time around :O

Mazza558
January 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM
I've been pretty happy with the open source ati drivers, especially since I figured out how to fix the slow 2d scrolling on them. This can only be good news.